Counter Bar - Height Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building my media room/theater. I ordered seating from Roman (Fusion Escape) that won't be here for a few weeks (which I knew before ordering). I would like to start building my counter bar.

I had always planned on making the counter bar 42" high, and getting bar stools with a 30" seat height. Just before I ordered the stools the WAF came into play. My wife wants to install track lighting with hanging pendants above the counter bar. For that reason, and because she doesn't like to have to "schooch" back in the high bar stools all the time, she wants me to build the bar at 36" or 38" and get bar stools with a 26" seat height. Our ceiling height is 8 feet. Obviously, I don't want anybody's head to get in the way of whoever is seated at the bar, but I don't have the home theater chairs yet to get a feel for it.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 AM

I think your wife is nuts.

Honestly though -- when I constructed my bar, I went with your dimensions, also bought chairs from Roman, and am very, very pleased with how it turned out.

See pics of my setup here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18120126

and dimensions here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18470405

Stick to your guns on this one!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The 42" height would be considered "bar height" and the 36" would be considered "counter height" (think of your base kitchen cabinets/island). The 42" is perfect for standing and sitting in the higher chairs. I don't see how the counter would be comfortable at all for standing but would be fine with "counter height" chairs.

So it depends on what your use for the counter is. If you think you will only EVER sit, the lower is probably fine.

Roman should be able to provide the height of the back of the seats. You could add about two feet to the height of the bar chairs to get an idea of where your eyeballs would be.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm a tall guy, but I think that height would be weird and uncomfortable. Certainly would not give the "bar" impression.

Seems to me the simplest variable is the lighting . . .
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My bar height is 42" and I couldn't imagine having it 4-6" shorter. I have ~8' ceilings too. I'd wait on your seat delivery to make sure that is the height you want to live with.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking as someone that has a bar that is "counter height" - don't do it! It was already there when we bought the house though so it was better than nothing for a short time.

It is awkward to stand at the bar when it is so low, and it doesn't feel right when sitting on a bar stool because you are sitting too high. Lighting can be easily adjusted - but changing a bar is a much bigger project.

In my case my wife actually came to me with the idea of raising it because she is usually the "bartender" and she wanted it to be more like a real bar... and I absolutely agree - it was just better that she brought it up

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys! I am going with the higher (42") counter bar.

Matt: I think my wife is nuts too! I was already going to use your bar building pictures to guide me in building my counter bar. Thank you for providing them!!!

PTAaron and tlogan: My wife and I hadn't even thought about "standing" at the bar!!! That, along with my strong desire to have a "bar feel" made the decision to go with 42" much easier.

I will post a few pics when it is done.

Thanks again!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page