new home, wiring for ceiling speakers, foam insulation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone-

I'm having a new home built. I'm going to be wiring for ceiling speakers in several rooms where the ceiling will have the spray foam insulation installed. I will be wiring for speakers before the insulation is sprayed of course (I need to run the cables through the ceiling joists- and all...)

I've already purchased my wire and speakers from monoprice. The speakers simply attach to the drywall and don't need an electrical box...

So my question is: does anyone have any advice for how I install the wire so that after the foam insulation is in place, I can get to it? I don't need an electrical box for the speakers, but it almost seems to me that I'll need to at least temporarily put them in with coiled up wire inside, have the insulation foamed in (and they'll slice off excess that drops beneath the joists) and then I'll remove the temporary boxes before the drywall ceiling is put up.

This is the only thing I can think of- anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks much! AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

Hi everyone-

I'm having a new home built. I'm going to be wiring for ceiling speakers in several rooms where the ceiling will have the spray foam insulation installed. I will be wiring for speakers before the insulation is sprayed of course (I need to run the cables through the ceiling joists- and all...)

I've already purchased my wire and speakers from monoprice. The speakers simply attach to the drywall and don't need an electrical box...

So my question is: does anyone have any advice for how I install the wire so that after the foam insulation is in place, I can get to it? I don't need an electrical box for the speakers, but it almost seems to me that I'll need to at least temporarily put them in with coiled up wire inside, have the insulation foamed in (and they'll slice off excess that drops beneath the joists) and then I'll remove the temporary boxes before the drywall ceiling is put up.

This is the only thing I can think of- anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks much! AL

I used temporary boxes in my ceiling as well. Worked really well.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply ack- did you use circular light boxes or rectangular boxes?

I suppose the important question is: how much excess wire should I try to coil inside the box (and what type of box allows best...)

Thanks! AL
post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Ask your insulation contractor, they should have some suggestions for plastic/temporary boxes. You only "need" a couple of feet of wire, but it's a lot easier if you can work on the speaker from the floor (not a ladder), then coil up the excess when you mount the speaker.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going with less dense open cell insulation (relative to closed cell insulation.) I bought 14 gauge speaker wire from monoprice. I don't know if I can coil up 2 full feet of wire inside a small box. Perhaps if at least a foot or so is in there, I can pull through any other slack that buried in the foam- as long as the end is inside the box... My electrician did warn me to staple the wire every 18 inches or so along the joists since the foam has quite a bit of force when it expands and can move a not-well-tacked-down wire. He also warned me not to have the wire close to the edge the joists because the insulators can slice them with their knife when they're cutting off the excess insulation that expands below the joists.

Good idea to ask the insulation contractor for advice. Wiring the ceiling speakers is the only task I'm doing myself (not having my electrician do this.) The electrician doesn't have any advice (which isn't surprising, since I'm sure he'd rather I pay him to do this!)

After spending years renovating my previous house and doing all almost all the labor myself- it's nice to have others build this house for me- but I thought I'd tackle the ceiling speakers myself.

I'll ask my GC for my insulation contractor's number and ask them...

Thanks! AL
post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

I don't know if I can coil up 2 full feet of wire inside a small box. Perhaps if at least a foot or so is in there, I can pull through any other slack that buried in the foam- as long as the end is inside the box...

Sorry, are you planning on in-ceiling speakers or surface mount on the ceiling? My answer assumed you were doing in-ceiling.

If not, just "whatever you can cram in the box" will be fine. You can either use a plate with connectors, or splice and hide a piece later in the box if by chance it's not long enough.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, they're in-ceiling:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I'm going to be giving my insulation contrator a call tomorrow or the Thursday. My electrician recommended not putting any box in- just to put a staple on the wire the lowest down on the joist as possible, and leave the wire hanging down. That way when the insulation is sprayed in, against the roof sheathing, it'll be 2-3 feet from the end of the speaker wire at a minimum. I'll ask my insulator if he thinks that that is a workable solution.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM

You'll need space in the void for the back of the speaker anyways so you'll need some space not sprayed, right?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll have to dig out a little foam when I go to install the speakers.

I talked to the insulator and he said to leave the wire dangling for when his people spray the foam. I think I'll wrap the cable with some duct tape right where it dangles below the joist- so when the insulators cut off any excess foam that is below the joist, if they nick the wire, they'll be nicking the duct tape.

After that, I'll coil it up and attach it to the foam somehow- perhaps hollow a little bit out. Then the drywall people will cover it up and someday I'll install the speakers.

Hopefully it all works out well! Thanks, AL
post #10 of 10 Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Try these.

http://www.tenmat-us.com/thermal-product-ff130e.html

They make fire rated one also, but unless you need fire rated ceiling, these should work.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page