Led Lights? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having a multipurpose room built. Half of the room will be used for a Home Theater and half will be a game room. I need to decide what type of Light cans to buy. Regular or LED.... I know nothing about lighting. My room will be about 40' x 24'. LED's are far more money and I really dont know what I get for the money. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
Some LED light systems throw off a different color hue. You may want to see what your colors look like using LED bulbs. It can make a big difference on whether the fabric on chairs, carpets and wall colors look good or great.

Also, LED is supposed to use a lot less energy and some units are not dimmable, if that's a concern. LED will also basically put out no heat whatsoever and are projected to last for a very long time.

May want to check with the supplier you are using to try out a couple of different options, maybe even purchase a couple of each type and experiment with them to see if the light is something you will enjoy or not.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
You get energy consumption less than a fluorescent, and far less than an incandescent. You get extremely long life, on the order of 20,000 hours. And many are dimmable.

There are LED downlights that surface mount to a j-box that will save you the price of a can and trim. I just bought some that are dimmable for $37 each. There are also LED retrofits for popular cans if you decide to forgo LED initially but might want to change later on.

With any lighting it is good to consider color temperature. Some environments look better on the warmer end, some on the cooler end. Most household light is on the warm end. Even the "cool whites" are only a little cooler than incandescents, nothing like daylight or studio lights.

FWIW LEDs do put out heat, just not as much for the same amount of light. That is why they are more efficient. The amount of heat generated will be a little less than the equivalent CFL.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 10
One of my pot lights blew last week. I replaced it with a LED bulb to see if I liked the look.

The one I chose has a whiter light (6000k) and is a 4 LED bulb. I like the color but notice when dimmed it makes more noise than than the halogens. Also it doesn't dim as low as the halogens.

I am unsure of using 4LED bulbs. I think I will grab a 3LED one and see how that looks.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page