What color to paint front (screen) wall for large TV not projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the general wisdom when using a projector and screen is to paint the front wall black - but I am getting set to paint my room which will simply have a 73" DLP TV in the front instead of a screen.

I have a masked off 6500K light behind the TV that slightly illuminates the wall to help with eye strain when watching in a dark room.

I am considering painting that wall a dark shade of gray - not quite black to still be able to take advantage of the backlight... although it may still work with black...
Anyone have a black front wall and still use a backlight behind the TV?

What do you guys think? Black, dark gray, keep it white?
The other walls will be Sorcerer's Hat blue (Disney color) ... I was kind of going for a similar scheme to ScubaSteve's Scuba Tank room.

Currently there are no plans to upgrade to a projector in the near future - if that happens I will be repainting anyway.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oddly - my wife, who constantly protests "making the room too dark" asked me why I wasn't going to paint the front wall black... This is what really prompted my asking the question.

Any opinions or thoughts?

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM

I would suggest painting the walls with black furniture against them white. I.e. the far wall where your TV is. And then the two side walls black.

your furniture will be a great contrast and you wont feel bulky like its all built into the room.

I think that is you do two black and two white walls you will end up with a room that feels very small. Its up to you of course. I have definitely seen this set-up before.

The traffic in the room will dictate whether you go for glossy or eggshell or flat paint. If you think you would need to wipe the wall a lot, glossy would be more practical otherwise eggshell should be good enough. Flat will absorb the light the most.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The front wall does not play that big a part in the Image itself since the light from the screen or the RPTV does not hit that wall.. it hits the ceiling, side walls and floor withing 5-6 feet of the screen causing reflected light...
Most folks have the front wall dark to provide the floating screen look. Also false walls could be AT and have speakers and other equipment back there you don't want reflecting.. Along with the floating screen look any reflected light off that back wall can be distracting to the view like white crown molding glowing white.. .. but not really damaging to the image itself.
So if you want to back light your TV then you probably want to go with a color neutral paint, and to do it "Correctly" lighting that is D65.. but I don't think that comes cheap. 6500K on the package does not = D65.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For reference ... This is what the front of the room looks like right now:

The blue color for the sides is pretty much the way I'm planning to go - just unsure about the front...

Black to give the "floating screen" look does make sense...

The backlight I made isn't intended to be "D65" ... Just meant to be a DIY version of the backlights for sale around the net.

-Aaron
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

The front wall does not play that big a part in the Image itself since the light from the screen or the RPTV does not hit that wall.. it hits the ceiling, side walls and floor withing 5-6 feet of the screen causing reflected light...
Most folks have the front wall dark to provide the floating screen look. Also false walls could be AT and have speakers and other equipment back there you don't want reflecting.. Along with the floating screen look any reflected light off that back wall can be distracting to the view like white crown molding glowing white.. .. but not really damaging to the image itself.
So if you want to back light your TV then you probably want to go with a color neutral paint, and to do it "Correctly" lighting that is D65.. but I don't think that comes cheap. 6500K on the package does not = D65.

Actually the front wall does play a part as how you perceive color is influenced by what you see around it. Against that white wall your blacks will look very black. Paint it black, if you don't have a TV with great blacks it will be more evident. But adding the bias light helps with that since the room won't be totally dark. That being said, the wall behind my TV is black.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Actually the front wall does play a part as how you perceive color is influenced by what you see around it. Against that white wall your blacks will look very black. Paint it black, if you don't have a TV with great blacks it will be more evident. But adding the bias light helps with that since the room won't be totally dark. That being said, the wall behind my TV is black.

The light definitely makes a difference in how the blacks look.
Now that I have removed the entertainment center pieces from the front of the room do think that black would be a better choice... Hmmm...

-Aaron
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 AM

I vote black. I can't see a reason not to.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
For an inexpensive test, buy a black flat sheet (not a set) and hang it up. Then give it to the wife to use on the bed.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

I vote black. I can't see a reason not to.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

For an inexpensive test, buy a black flat sheet (not a set) and hang it up. Then give it to the wife to use on the bed.

Brilliant idea! I already have some black sheets, so I'll give it a try tonight!

-Aaron
post #11 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Decided to skip testing and made a stop at home depot on the way home - as I type this my gallon of Mouse Ears is being mixed.

-Aaron
post #12 of 15 Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I did it... it took all of 30 minutes including taping and edging It is shiny only because it is still wet...

Now I have to decide if I should paint the first 2 rows of ceiling tiles black or not... I don't want to do the whole ceiling in black, but the first 2 rows of tiles get hit with the light from my "backlight" and I am anticipating it being distracting now that the wall is black...

-Aaron
post #13 of 15 Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My vote FWIW would have been black OR just a darker complimentary color to the rest of your walls/room. I just think that our paint color thinking is too beige/tan/sand (safe) for the common good. Color, even black, can be a very good thing.

Nice setup BTW.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you!

I'll be testing out the "black ceiling" option with some black paper/poster board from my wife's scrapbook room once the second coat of paint dries - I'll post some pictures when I get it done.

-Aaron
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do agree on the "paint thinking"... I tend to fall into that for the rest of the house too it is hard to commit to bolder colors

-Aaron
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page