Hyrule Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm a long time troller, but new poster. I am nearly ready to start my build. I wanted to post my general layout and get some feedback and ideas on how to maximize my space. Basement is completely dry and crack free for 3 years and a sump hooked to a drain system all around and under my foundation. Here are my main hurdles.

How to best hide/work around my sump and electrical panel without violating codes or losing a lot of space/ visual appeal. I am torn between framing around the sump only and putting it in a little closet or bumping the wall out 3' and having the sump and panel behind it. Can my electric panel be in a closet like setting even with proper clearances all the way around?

While this will be mostly a place for the family, wife and one 2 year old, to watch movies and play video games, I would like to keep it as open as possible for entertaining and having parties which we do somewhat often.

I would like to have the screen wall be the wall of the sump and electric panel to keep everything in front of it open.

I'm not a huge audio or videophile, but both are somewhat important to me. After the build which will be 80% me and 2 buddies. Plumbing and drywall contracted out. I will have about $3000 for a projector, screen(prefer fixed audio transparent with LRC hidden behind screen) and 5.1 maybe 7.1 sound (inwall speakers is an option since I am pre-build)

Here my basic basement plan and a few pics of the actual basement.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM

How about making your storage area the Media Room? Your drawing and pictures don't really show how big the area is, but I think there is too much going on in the area you have identified as the Rec Room (i.e., 2 windows, elec. panel, plumbing...). Can these rooms be switched around? I guess the questions are:
1) how big is that storage area, and
2) how much storage area do you need?
post #3 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

The storage area if finished would be about 18'x 12' 6". I could definitely put the theater set up there and move the bar area down or around the corner.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

post #4 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidor82 View Post

The storage area if finished would be about 18'x 12' 6". I could definitely put the theater set up there and move the bar area down or around the corner.

I like that better, too, and moving the bar around the corner would seem to give you very easy access to the existing drain stack...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

With doing this switch I would prolly just make it a dedicated home theater and use the rest of the space as an entertaining space. I could easily just add a 40-50" TV to the rec area.

post #6 of 48 Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Funny, the day I posted my suggestion, I hand drew what I thought might work well, but I was having trouble with my scanner and couldn't post an image. It is pretty much as you have drawn, but I embellished the bar area a bit to make it more like a commercial bar scene.
post #7 of 48 Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

After some more thought and everyone's suggestions both on here and via PM I have the design I'm most happy with.

This will give me a great focal point as you enter the basement with the bar. I will have a dedicated HT which if you are gonna finish a basement with a projector you might as well make it count. And there is plenty of entertaining and storage space. The wife even likes the layout.

Building permits start Wednesday. Framing starts Thursday.

post #8 of 48 Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Got my permits. Since I'm only framing about 650 sq ft. I'm hoping me and my father can have most of it done by the end of the weekend. Nail guns and miter saw should speed up the process. Hope to have pic to post early next week.

Any suggestions on soundproofing the HT area? My basement is pretty quiet as is and there isn't much mechanical noise, but for a reasonable cost/benefit I would like to keep the HT area as quiet as possible.

Drop ceiling the best way to go or drywall with treatment above it? 3 of my 4 walls are the foundations so there is no sound coming through them. Mainly just need to worry about the right wall that connects to the rest of the basement.

post #9 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Am I the only one that saw this thread title and secretly hoped for a Legend of Zelda themed theater room??
post #10 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I can promise my basement will have a Zelda theme.

post #11 of 48 Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Half the basement is framed. hope to get the rest done in the next two weeks. This whole family and job thing is really gonna cut into my basement finishing time.

post #12 of 48 Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the set up I'm thinking about running in my HT once everything is build. Room will be about 12'W x 18'L x 7'H with a seating distance of 14'.

Screen: DIY Fixed 120-130" 2.40:1 AT Seymour screen

Projector: Panasonic AE4000U (will make switching between aspect ratios easiest though most of my viewing will be in scope)

5.1 Speakers: BIC Aucoustic PL-89 Home Theather System or Klipsch RB-61II Home Theater System

AV receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809

Already have a HTPC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

If anyone has any opinions or suggestions let me know. I have seen or heard all of these in real life except for the screen.

post #13 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

After some more thought and everyone's suggestions both on here and via PM I have the design I'm most happy with.

This will give me a great focal point as you enter the basement with the bar. I will have a dedicated HT which if you are gonna finish a basement with a projector you might as well make it count. And there is plenty of entertaining and storage space. The wife even likes the layout.

Building permits start Wednesday. Framing starts Thursday.

Your proposed area is almost exactly the same size as the previous theater I built. If you're looking for some ideas, check out the Theater 2.0 link my signature. Ideally, the space would have been a little bigger, but it ended up being a great viewing room.
post #14 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my permits. Since I'm only framing about 650 sq ft. I'm hoping me and my father can have most of it done by the end of the weekend. Nail guns and miter saw should speed up the process. Hope to have pic to post early next week.

Any suggestions on soundproofing the HT area? My basement is pretty quiet as is and there isn't much mechanical noise, but for a reasonable cost/benefit I would like to keep the HT area as quiet as possible.

Drop ceiling the best way to go or drywall with treatment above it? 3 of my 4 walls are the foundations so there is no sound coming through them. Mainly just need to worry about the right wall that connects to the rest of the basement.

You're going to get a lot (And I do mean a lot) of feedback on this one mentioning isolation clips and green glue. I went for the best bang for the buck and was quite happy with my choices. For the flooring, I did DriCore after the framing was done. This added some acoustical value since we weren't going right on concrete, plus it made the floor warmer. If your ceiling height permits it, I'd look into it.

For the walls and ceiling, insulate and double drywall everything. Aside from that, a good solid core door will tighten things up as well. You'll still have some sound travel through the ductwork, which you can minimize with flexible duct runs, but insulation and mass will certainly help alot with keeping the sound in the room.

It's a whole different barrel of worms with cleaning up the sound once the room is done, but hopefully these suggestions help a little early on in the build. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
post #15 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM

I have to ask, how are you going to incorporate a Zelda theme? I will be watching this thread closely. I am a huge Zelda fan but have no idea how I would incorporate Zelda into my basement without destroying the WAF.

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #16 of 48 Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

This is going to be my sconce in the theater area.

I was thinking this decal or and etched version of it in the mirror for my bar.

I already have this picture from the 25th anniversary of Zelda.

I have this figure, but I'll prolly get a few more and figure out a way to display them.

I have this sword and shield that will be displayed in the basement as well.

I will prolly incorporate some other posters and things. I'd also like to save a wall or corner for my favorite hockey player Pavel Datysuk. I have his Russian super elite league jersey and a signed stick.

post #17 of 48 Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

And as for the WAF. It is a non-issue. Though she would do star wars or Mario theme if she got to choose. She wants light saber sconces.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=79565

post #18 of 48 Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Lucky you! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I dig the Tool comment in your signature btw.

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #19 of 48 Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 337
If you're doing an AT screen... one huge suggestion...

You want to use three identical, vertically aligned speakers behind the screen. Don't use a horizontal center speaker as you would normally place under a screen.

I'd recommend three PSB B6 over the Klipsch bookshelves and the PSB S5's for side and back surrounds. I'd go with an HSU VTF-3 mk4 or VTF-15h sub. Since your room isn't huge, I'd not place the subs behind the false screen wall, just the L/C/R array.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #20 of 48 Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

If you're doing an AT screen... one huge suggestion...

You want to use three identical, vertically aligned speakers behind the screen. Don't use a horizontal center speaker as you would normally place under a screen.

I'd recommend three PSB B6 over the Klipsch bookshelves and the PSB S5's for side and back surrounds. I'd go with an HSU VTF-3 mk4 or VTF-15h sub. Since your room isn't huge, I'd not place the subs behind the false screen wall, just the L/C/R array.

So I would basically use three center channel speakers as my LCR? The subs be cause of their size would protrude out from the false wall. A portion of the back end would be behind the wall to hide the wires and such. Would this work or do the sub(s) need to be completely in the open. I know to avoid putting in the corners but other than that I'm not an audio expert. Thanks for the tips.

post #21 of 48 Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to do three identical speakers, you'd actually use an additional main for yur center. As far as ruling out the Klipsch speakers though, I wouldn't pull the trigger so quickly. I use a trio of RB35s for several years and never had a single problem with them. They're quite large for bookshelf speakers and can easily handle a medium sized room.
post #22 of 48 Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I would basically use three center channel speakers as my LCR? The subs be cause of their size would protrude out from the false wall. A portion of the back end would be behind the wall to hide the wires and such. Would this work or do the sub(s) need to be completely in the open. I know to avoid putting in the corners but other than that I'm not an audio expert. Thanks for the tips.

You would use three of the same model of regular, vertical aligned bookshelf or large monitor speakers. You don't want to use traditional center channel speakers as their dispersal patterns are all wrong for this scenario of using an acoustically transparent screen that allows you to lock the audio with the visuals (just like a commercial theater).

Visually, it's probably better to put them out in the open than having a weird looking screen wall. If you build a stage you could set one or two on it in front of the false screen wall that you would be framing out on top of this stage. If you had a longer room, you could easily place all three speakers and the subs behind the false wall, but not in this case.

Yeah, a lot of subs don't sound the best in a corner. Usually use the "rule of thirds."

post #23 of 48 Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need to fully frame out insulate and drywall behind my false wall or will the concrete wall paint black do? Just deciding howuch more lumber I need to finish framing my basement. How to be 100% framed by March.

post #24 of 48 Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Frame it out, insulate, vapour barrier, and drywall. Fire blocking at the top of the wall.
post #25 of 48 Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Finished framing all the walls this weekend. Still need to build the soffits and finish framing the doorways. It's nice to give definition to space.

post #26 of 48 Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Acoustically speaking, behind the false wall frame-out for your AT screen you want to install 1-2" thick Johns Manville black Linacoustic (or equivalent material) and corner bass traps...

After you finished the perimeter walls of the basement, that is.

Check out some of the theater builds in the dedicated theater section of the forum for this and other building, wiring, and sound proofing tips. Don't rush and take your time or you may kick yourself later...

post #27 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
This theater is going to be sweet. You know what will top it off perfectly? Olly Moss' print for the Triforce Tribute show.

:drool:

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #28 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any suggestions for motorized masking systems for changing the aspect ration of my screen from scope to 16:9? I have seen a few but they are all very expensive. I'm not opposed to just using DIY panels with AT fabric on them, but if I can go motorized or something to that effect I would. Since I will have a AT screen and the masking or panels will likely partially or completely cover my L and R front speakers, making sure my fronts come through the masking is a big deal. How noticeable is a scope screen showing a 16:9 image with no masking? This could also be an upgrade down the road.

post #29 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

An economical route that I've seen a few times are masking panels on a track attached to the ceiling that can slide in and back out of the way. Carada makes a systems called the Masquerade that's much smoother, but I think it's somewhere in the ballpark of 2 grand.

I was in the same boat and was worried about 1.78 material on my scope screen. In a room with good light control, it ultimately became a non-issue for me, so I didn't even bother.
post #30 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have complete light control. I think I will just go with out masking and upgrade if it bothers me that much.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page