Badger Rx Media Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All-

Been lurking on this forum for quite some time now and finally decided I should post. My wife and I are big Wisconsin fans and also we are both pharmacists... hence the name of my project/thread. I am hoping to turn my somewhat dedicated media room into a projector friendly land of happiness. It is located in the basement and is approximately 19' deep by 16' wide. It is open in the rear with a "decorative" arch to a much larger area... probably at least 40' x 16'. Here is a couple pics of my current media room:

I would like to close in the arch, likely with a french door, and add a "closet" which will house the AV components. Since this room contains a window, it could then legally be considered a bedroom... an added bonus! Here is a snapshot of a Google Sketchup that I have been working on as a starting place:

Couple quick questions for the board:
1) Any other unique ideas that you can think of that would help me utilize this space better?
2) The AV "closet" has me a little confused. Any ideas for a good way to access it from the larger basement area that doesn't include putting in a fullsize door? i was thinking about an "access panel" of some sort, but not sure how that would work/look.
3) Since this is a walk-out basement, light control will definitely be an issue. I was planning on using black-out drapes for the window, but not sure about the door. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation before?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. Looking forward to moving along with this project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarleton View Post

2) The AV "closet" has me a little confused. Any ideas for a good way to access it from the larger basement area that doesn't include putting in a fullsize door? i was thinking about an "access panel" of some sort, but not sure how that would work/look.

You can use a pull-out rack, which is meant just for this application. It's not cheap, but works great.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsm.htm

(you can also see one in my build thread)

Quote:

3) Since this is a walk-out basement, light control will definitely be an issue. I was planning on using black-out drapes for the window, but not sure about the door. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation before?

Double doors and doors with glass panes are both things that don't go well with a theater room... Very poor performance from a sound isolation standpoint, and of course, the glass then becomes a light issue - right where you don't want it - pointed right at your screen.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first and foremost - ON WISCONSIN!

... not sure the budget but electrochromic windows/door might solve the problem.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page