generic room layout advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm at the extremely early stage of planning for finishing our basement. I've always wanted a home theatre set up.. but with a kid on the way it has me thinking about a future use for the basement in general. I'm really liking the "open design" as my parents had that at the house I lived at for about 13 years, but I think this might ruin my idea for a screening room. There are two main areas I can foresee for being suitable and I think that area "under" the stairs would be ideal for storing equipment. However, I'm looking for a fresh perspective from all of you seasoned designers out there.

Keep in mind the pipe against the right wall sticks out 7" and there is a water shutoff along the 14' wall that I didn't include on the google sketch.

Any ideas? Also looking for pros/cons to having a dedicated area. My budget won't be huge so I can't go as elaborate as many go. I do want to use a projector if possible over an actual TV.

Thanks in advance.

Google Sketch:

Left side:

Overview from bottom right (near sump pump):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
The dedicated room has a few advantages - sound isolation (if you build it that way), the ability to work with a confined space can make getting the acoustics right easier, and finally, in a set a side room its easier to go to the darker pallette that can enhance the video presentation (WAF).

After that, from a social perspective the multipurpose room wins from a social perspective.

If you aren't planning on controlling the light, even high lumen PJ's are a compromise. You have a few places away from the windows that could be pretty nice. I am not sure what the utilities constraints are, but that space in the back looks nice for a "getaway" style build.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022589
post #3 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi dave,

Thanks for chiming in. I'll probably have "some" light control.. if you consider putting some blackout drapes on the windows into that. Utilities can't move much from that side of the room. I'll still need access to the water shut off pictured in the far back and the main drain line also runs parallel along jutting out about 7" near the wall until it reaches the end where it then sticks out 18". I guess I'd have to figure a way to have the screen on the wall with the shutoff.

The "getaway" approach is certainly interesting. I am interested in good audio, but I also need to keep in mind the "social" aspect as you put it. I think having some openness in the back will still allow me to place speakers there but give an inviting look.

Any other ideas?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Pros/cons to a dedicated area that I considered:
Pro:
-You get a dedicated room where you can easily paint the trim, ceilings, walls, etc very dark.

-You can treat the room for sound by decoupling walls, ceiling, double drywall, green glue, etc.

-It is easier to control the ambient lighting

Cons:

- If you entertain a lot, the open floorplan is great
- It is pretty easy not to find a high lumen projector on a budget
- It is cheaper (sound proofing a room can get costly very fast)

Only you can really answer which layout is better for your situation. I have been in your shoes and really debated between open floorplan and dedicated room, and went with open floorplan and have been happy. You have a good space in the top right for a dedicated room... So that would be tempting..
post #5 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I'd do an open concept with a PJ in the front left corner. Have you thought about a half wall to define the space, and a framed "window" above to open it up? You then could get some powered blinds to close off the space for movie night.
LL
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by datr View Post

I'll still need access to the water shut off pictured in the far back and the main drain line also runs parallel along jutting out about 7" near the wall until it reaches the end where it then sticks out 18". I guess I'd have to figure a way to have the screen on the wall with the shutoff.

Perhaps an AT screen with a minimalis screen wall approach could give you water shut off access, while not sacrificing real estate unnecessarily. Most AT screens are 18-24" from the wall to fit speakers and subs.

Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837848
post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

What do you all think about this for the media area? I know I'm missing some details (drywall, etc) but is there enough room in the design? awkward?

I wouldn't have the door be glass but it would likely be sliding to help a little with isolation but still have a large entrance. There is also a ~1ft soffit in the back of the room due to the drain line.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Is that opening going to impact your side speaker placement?

In general, I think its a nice looking space.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Is that opening going to impact your side speaker placement?

In general, I think its a nice looking space.

That's a good point that I didn't think of when being caught in the development of the stage layout. I just had chosen this because the room is wide enough for a large couch where it would be really tight with the screen on the back wall.

EDIT: I did a quick search.. and I think it would still be ok. Its not a very long room so I'd be stuck with a viewing distance of maybe 9'. There be wall on both sides of me at that point. I just hope the angle between the sides and the rears is ok.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wouldn't get too anal about surround placement. Just a problem when they intersect the doorway.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page