post #31 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

If you look at the pics of the actual bedroom (not the diagram) you will see that there is a closet on one side of the couch, and a window on the other...and they are staggered.

When looking at your pics, I saw the shelf for your rear speakers and figured you could do the same for your side speakers (above the closet door and side window).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

When looking at your pics, I saw the shelf for your rear speakers and figured you could do the same for your side speakers (above the closet door and side window).

To be honest, I never even thought of that...

I still think that it would be tricky to get the side speakers in-line with each other, because the fact that the closet door does not line up with the opposite-side window. The only way around this would be to remove the framed Orange Bowl seat I have hanging next to the closet door, and at that point we are talking a great deal of work/rearranging for something I may not even be happy with (if I end up moving the couch back to where it sits now).

post #33 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:

...it is not possible to move the side surrounds forward.

Quote:

...it is really not possible to rotate the room in any direction.

Quote:

The only way around this would be to remove the framed Orange Bowl seat I have hanging next to the closet door, and at that point we are talking a great deal of work/rearranging for something I may not even be happy with (if I end up moving the couch back to where it sits now).

Since it's not possible and/or it's too much work to make changes to your set-up, that leaves me fresh out of ideas.

Sanjay
post #34 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Since it's not possible and/or it's too much work to make changes to your set-up, that leaves me fresh out of ideas.

Ok, thanks for your help thus far anyway.

The question I was asking was really a "yes" or "no" deal --> whether or not I should move the couch forward.

You said "no" (unless I can move the side surrounds forward also) because the side and rear audio will get mixed up together and lost; while another member said "(yes), but what do I know?".

Anybody else have an opinion with reasoning?

post #35 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looking at the pictures of your room, mounting the side surrounds above the window and closet seems a great idea. They don't have to line up with the window or closet exactly, as they will be above them, matching the rears in elevation.

Moving the couch forward will improve the ambiance from the rear surrounds, and I think you will notice a significant improvement in the sound field.

To test it, enlist two friends to hold the speakers in place whie you play a 7.1 scene. Barring that, put a nail or screw in the wall, and use a piece of wire hanger to temporarily mount each speaker.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Looking at the pictures of your room, mounting the side surrounds above the window and closet seems a great idea. They don't have to line up with the window or closet exactly, as they will be above them, matching the rears in elevation.

Moving the couch forward will improve the ambiance from the rear surrounds, and I think you will notice a significant improvement in the sound field.

To test it, enlist two friends to hold the speakers in place whie you play a 7.1 scene. Barring that, put a nail or screw in the wall, and use a piece of wire hanger to temporarily mount each speaker.

My RTi6 surrounds will not fit above the window or the closet - I even had to lay the smaller RTi4s on their sides (horizontally) to make them fit better...

post #37 of 50 Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What about tall speaker stands
or ceiling mounting brackets?

http://www.racksandstands.com/Speaker-Mounts-C5498.html

http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/search.php...ands&search=Go

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

My RTi6 surrounds will not fit above the window or the closet - I even had to lay the smaller RTi4s on their sides (horizontally) to make them fit better...

At least have someone help you audition the speakers at those locations, to help you make a decision. If you like what you hear, then flip the room layout 180°, which would also eliminate the interference with the door, as the seating will be away from the wall as
previously planned.

Otherwise, run a 5.1 setup, and be done with it.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #39 of 50 Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks good
post #40 of 50 Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Long time since I have posted here. My room hadn't changed much, but I found a sweet deal on a projector + screen on Craigslist. I ended up buying it, and consequently had to redo my room again in order to accommodate the screen. In addition, the new arrangement also allowed me to put my front tower speakers wider, since I no longer have to worry about the opening door (I rotated the room 180*). I have my RTi6 bookshelf speakers resting on top of my RTi8s for now...but I plan on selling them and eventually going 5.1 with a Chase Home Theater or a higher-end JBL front soundstage. Here are some pics of what my finished project ended up looking like:

If you notice in the 3rd and 2nd-to-last pictures, my screen does not come down far enough in front of my TV. I am going to take a look at Home Depot and Lowe's to see if there are brackets available that are exactly like the ones I already have, but longer (since I already have the "mount" part on the walls). For now, I have to guide the screen in front of the TV and let it rest on the bezel. This is obviously not ideal, but I can't think of any other options until I find some time to go to the store and look for new brackets...

post #41 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You really need to do something about your pictures. The stamp size is too small to enjoy and at their current resolution, they are useless when enlarged. The pictures need to be larger so we can see the details.
post #42 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

You really need to do something about your pictures. The stamp size is too small to enjoy and at their current resolution, they are useless when enlarged. The pictures need to be larger so we can see the details.

Not sure how to make them bigger. I use Imagebam as my image hosting source on several forums (and as I have done so before on this forum). Until now, whenever you click on a picture it opens up to the larger, original size. I guess when they re-did the site this changed. How do I make them show up bigger?

post #43 of 50 Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have no idea how to make them bigger nor how people manage the neat thumbnails in their posts. Are the original sizes still available on your host? I did notice that unlike a photo I posted, and photos from other people's posts which shows the location of the photo on another server, the location of your photo points to avs.

ETA:

I see you have your photos in AVS albums. Seems only the thumbnails were added to these albums.
post #44 of 50 Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After debating and discussing it through a thread I created on this forum, I decided to sell of my entire Polk 7.1 system and ended up buying some Chase Home Theater speakers - 2 PRO-10s and 1 SHO-10. I was happy when the delivery guy showed up yesterday:

You can also see the little end tables I purchased to use as speaker stands. I got them for $13 a piece, and while they might not look as "classy" or "clean" as dedicated speaker stands, they were 10x cheaper and seem much more stable (larger platform, etc.)

post #45 of 50 Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After spending hours (yes, literally hours) adjusting the TV bracket/mount locations in an effort to have the sensor sit above the speaker, I realized that the only solution was to place the speaker on the shelf below, and move the receiver to the top. Here is what the final/current setup looks like:

I am not sure how I like this current setup. The speakers themselves sound great; but I have not calibrated or really demoed the speakers yet, but while listening at relatively low volumes (watching TV, sports) the center channel doesn't sound right. It is off-center in regards to the entertainment stand itself, but my main listening position is also off-center, and thus directly in-line with the speaker. I have the tweeter on the left side so that it is closer to the center of the room, and therefore closer to the other listening positions. Still, I can't help but feel that my ears "find" the speaker too easily. Everything sounds like it is coming from the right of the room, and from below the picture. I have the front of the cabinet elevated so that the tweeter points to ear level.

It might be that I am just used to having my Polk CSi5 centered on the top shelf, closer to ear height. Perhaps over time I will adapt, but for now it sounds a little odd...so if anyone has suggestions, please feel free to chime in!

post #46 of 50 Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^I realize that you are limited on positioning your center but that seems very close to the floor and in that position should at least be angled up a bit toward the seating. Also, toe in the right and left speakers, actually try toeing them in so they are firing to opposite sides of you in your seated position. Try left speaker pointed at your right shoulder and right speaker pointed at your left. You definitely need to run a calibration and get them dialed in.

post #47 of 50 Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"I have the front of the cabinet elevated so that the tweeter points to ear level."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

^I realize that you are limited on positioning your center but that seems very close to the floor and in that position should at least be angled up a bit toward the seating. Also, toe in the right and left speakers, actually try toeing them in so they are firing to opposite sides of you in your seated position. Try left speaker pointed at your right shoulder and right speaker pointed at your left. You definitely need to run a calibration and get them dialed in.

I already do have the center channel angled up so it points to ear-level. I also have the right speaker set with toe-in; but I am unable to do this with the left because I do not have the room. It has to be placed pointing straight, otherwise the screen collides with it when lowered.

post #48 of 50 Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rearranged everything a little bit again. I think this may be the layout I keep:

post #49 of 50 Old 06-09-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been awhile, but since my last post I have added a new Favi 106" screen, an Optoma HD131xe projector, and a pair of Axiom QS4 surrounds.

I plan on getting some 2' x 4' black acoustic panels for wall treatment, and to help hide the wires!

post #50 of 50 Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And I also got a new entertainment stand. I found it on Craigslist for $50. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted - low and wide to fit a lot of stuff, but not get in the way of my screen when I roll it down; nice black wood finish; and cheap!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page