How to wall mount speakers? (it's more than that!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Klipsch HD300 set of speakers that I just bought, and I want to wall mount them all. I have a few questions though..

First, I'm going to run the wire behind the wall, but do I need in-wall rated speaker wire? Secondly, should I add a binding post, or just take the wire through a hole in the wall and thread it right into the mount?

The goal is to have as little wire showing as possible.. I figured having a binding post would be a good idea just for the sake of a clean looking install, but I'm noticing most installs don't have any binding posts at all. I'm going to have a main binding post for my receiver, but running the wires outwards from that is where I'm left wondering.

If anybody has suggestions for mounts that aren't too expensive and angle downward, that would be great also!

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post

I have the Klipsch HD300 set of speakers that I just bought, and I want to wall mount them all. I have a few questions though..

First, I'm going to run the wire behind the wall, but do I need in-wall rated speaker wire? Secondly, should I add a binding post, or just take the wire through a hole in the wall and thread it right into the mount?

The goal is to have as little wire showing as possible.. I figured having a binding post would be a good idea just for the sake of a clean looking install, but I'm noticing most installs don't have any binding posts at all. I'm going to have a main binding post for my receiver, but running the wires outwards from that is where I'm left wondering.

If anybody has suggestions for mounts that aren't too expensive and angle downward, that would be great also!

Thanks for any help!

You need in wall rated speaker wire to meet code. That being said, you can do whatever you want in your house but if you go to sell it you might be asked to upgrade it or rip it out. I would do the in-wall right away if you can, it doesn't cost that much more. Obviously get it from Monoprice if you can.

You don't want to be able to see the wire coming straight through a hole in the drywall and I am guessing that it would be against code to have holes in your drywall. Other than that it is personal preference on what you use.

Here is an option that mounts direct to a single gang elec box. Kind of pricy but would give you that clean look.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM20...=Pinpoint+AM20
post #3 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilbrent View Post

You need in wall rated speaker wire to meet code. That being said, you can do whatever you want in your house but if you go to sell it you might be asked to upgrade it or rip it out. I would do the in-wall right away if you can, it doesn't cost that much more. Obviously get it from Monoprice if you can.

You don't want to be able to see the wire coming straight through a hole in the drywall and I am guessing that it would be against code to have holes in your drywall. Other than that it is personal preference on what you use.

Here is an option that mounts direct to a single gang elec box. Kind of pricy but would give you that clean look.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM20...=Pinpoint+AM20

I have no problem with in-wall speaker wire, I just want to know how to use mounts to keep the wire hidden, and what method people use. I am happy to use a LV box for the wires, but then we're talking about adding a wall plate or a mount that goes right onto the box. Not everybody buys a mount like that, so what other options do people use?
post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Some how you have to connect the wire to your speaker so it will be visible at least a little. Not many speaker mounts do wire management unless they connect to an elec box.

check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1191178
post #5 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM

I have a question on the same topic . . .

When wall mounting the speakers, is it common to put some type of dampening material (ex: foam) between the mount and the wall to stop any vibration or sound transfer?
post #6 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Check out my thread I created awhile ago. Do a search for

First time HT build, The Smoken Theater

I don't know how to link on this stupid app since the official AVS forum app doesn't work anymore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I, also, have a question that I cannot find an answer to...

I am mounting a speaker to a side wall that needs to extend from the wall out into the tv room and bend, slightly down, aiming it to the listerner position.

All the mounts that do this kind of articulation seem to apply to tv's...can any of them also apply to a small speaker (i.e., the Sunfire CRM-2BIP).

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
Sunfire ACC-2WB speaker mount?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 16 Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Neurorad,

Thanks for the reply.

...I guess I didn't explain what I needed...the mount has to have the capability to extend up to 24" from the wall and, then, be able to aim the speaker downward toward the listining position...

...these types of mounts are all over the place to LCD (etc.) tv sets but I cannot find any that apply to speakers...(unless a purchase one and try to modify that portion that usually attaches to the tv set so that it could hold the speaker)...
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, misunderstood.

Care to share more details, about why the speaker needs to move using an articulating mount?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Re 24" around and down mount.. may need to draw something up and visit your local welding shop.. sounds kind of custom..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Sorry, misunderstood.
Care to share more details, about why the speaker needs to move using an articulating mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Re 24" around and down mount.. may need to draw something up and visit your local welding shop.. sounds kind of custom..

...the room is odd-shaped...the speaker's design requires room from it's sides in order for the sound to project ...if the speaker is just hung on the wall, it would be facing the wrong direction...the speaker needs to come out from the wall aprox. 24", make a 90% turn, then angle down towards the listening position...

Hope this helps some...

Thanks, again
post #13 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

link to speaker?

post #14 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

link to speaker?

www.sunfire.com
X series
(CRM-2BIP)
post #15 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, sorry, yeah, you mentioned it already. Looks like it is designed to be mounted ON the wall, and not at a distance. The open spot on the wall, I guess, is flanked by something?

The problem with using an articulating TV mount is the weight issue. You'll need to find a mount designed for that weight, 8 lbs per Sunfire.

Take a look at articulating wall-mount options for monitors, and not TVs/displays, from Chief and Peerless. Looks like they accommodate monitors in the 5-25 lb range.

Those ribbon speakers look pretty slick.

post #16 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, sorry, yeah, you mentioned it already. Looks like it is designed to be mounted ON the wall, and not at a distance. The open spot on the wall, I guess, is flanked by something?
The problem with using an articulating TV mount is the weight issue. You'll need to find a mount designed for that weight, 8 lbs per Sunfire.
Take a look at articulating wall-mount options for monitors, and not TVs/displays, from Chief and Peerless. Looks like they accommodate monitors in the 5-25 lb range.
Those ribbon speakers look pretty slick.

...you know, I've decided to forget the mounts and bought shelf brackets, shelf tracks (etc.) and use these to mount the one speaker which cannot be flush with the wall (there is no problem with the other speaker mounted on the wall).

...I've spent hours (days!) trying to research posibilities and am very, very tired of it all...Neurorad, thanks for your input.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Wall Mount

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page