Prefab sound deadening wall panels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a home office with pretty good acoustics. I want to make it even better, so I can use it as a recording studio -- not for music, but for commercial voiceovers. Have all the equipment and now want to work on the room itself. Don't want to turn it into a cave; just want to soak up background noise and make the voice a tad more mellow. QUESTION: Does any outfit make prefab wall panels that could serve this need and NOT egg-crate ugly? My office is an attractive space and I'd like to keep it that way. THANKS! Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Liked: 32
I would just make them yourself. Our church uses fiber panels, with foam as needed, with a cloth covering.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
There are a couple of good places depending on what style you want. I outfit my theater with simple rectangular panels from Acoustical Solutions. I bought them instead of making them myself out of fear of the crappy job I'd probably do (among other reasons)...

EDIT: All of the ones Nyal mentioned are more appropriate for a recording studio application. I misread your sentence as "not a recording studio"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Check out Primacoustic, GIK, RealTraps or Auralex

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Check out Primacoustic, GIK, RealTraps or Auralex

Thanks, everyone! These are all great places with good ideas -- I'm especially taken with the Primacoustic panels and corner units, which look like they could do the job while actually contributing to the room decor. Nyal, would they be your preferred product?

I'm thinking that I should start with four of those Cumulus ceiling-corner units, then add Broadway Broadband absorbers to the walls. I would have to rearrange some pictures, but the net effect could be pretty nice.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurpjohnson View Post

Thanks, everyone! These are all great places with good ideas -- I'm especially taken with the Primacoustic panels and corner units, which look like they could do the job while actually contributing to the room decor. Nyal, would they be your preferred product?

I'm thinking that I should start with four of those Cumulus ceiling-corner units, then add Broadway Broadband absorbers to the walls. I would have to rearrange some pictures, but the net effect could be pretty nice.

Hi, they are all good products, equally functional for your purpose. I should add the disclaimer that I sell Primacoustic and RealTraps but I've used and had real world experience with all three. The good thing about the Primacoustic Broadway panels in my opinion is that they have resin hardened edges (no heavy or visually intrusive frames like the GIK / RealTraps products) and are available in 'bulk packs' where you get multiple panels in one box. They even have some 'room kits' although I'd be careful with the 1" panels they include. Best to go for 2" or even better 3". You can make a nice effect using the Broadway Columns and Squares to break things up visually and you can even create some patterns with them on your wall. Feel free to PM or contact me if you have more questions I can assist with (link to my website in signature below).
thrillcat likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Nyal, just wanted to respond tag I installed the corner units and wall panels, and am VERY pleased with the results -- which are both attractive and acoustically effective. Thanks so much!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

2 years later, I just wanted to thank Nyal Mellor again for his excellent tips. My office has been admired by pretty much everyone who sees it and listens to the effects. Nyal, if you'd Ike photos, let me know! This is one of the reasons why AVSForum continues to be my go-to resource before buying anything audio over $50.