1st home theater on a budget - lots of photos - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > 1st home theater on a budget - lots of photos

General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

ChicagoRy's Avatar ChicagoRy
10:06 AM Liked: 11
post #1 of 2
02-25-2012 | Posts: 32
Ok, just thought I'd show this to see if anyone was looking for ideas or had tips, etc. Spent several weekends helping a friend of mine, who just bought his first home, put together a TV/theater room and we also took advantage of a kitchen remodel project as an opportune time to pull ethernet all throughout the house as well as fresh coax, etc. His remodel turned into almost an entire 1st floor remodel and went a bit over budget so funds for home theater were little to none. Here's a breakdown:

1. Samsung HTIB: bought a couple years ago for around $300, reusing for now until better speakers and receiver can be afforded. At least it has HDMI.
2. Sony KDL55EX700 LCD LED: he works at a massive IT distributor who carries Sony products and was able to get a returned, b-stock, KDL, which after his employee discount came out to something around $600.
3. Samsung Bluray player: bought last year on sale (I think it's a model BDP-2600, not positive), approx $150.
4. 2000' of Cat 5e, 500' of RG-6, wall plates, keystone connectors (lots and lots!), 12/2 in-wall speaker wire, 12ga Scosche speaker wire, banana plugs, coax F plugs, ethernet RJ-45 plugs, 10-port netgear switch, coax amp & splitter: approx $300, I donated some of that and also misc. other building supplies & materials

So. . .for under $1500, here's what I put together for him.

And the best thing about it, I think, is its flexibility. . .receiver, speakers, sub, etc, can easily be swapped out one thing at a time.

PS - If you're in the Chicago metro area and need A/V theater planning, installing or any other low voltage needs send me a PM.
86surf's Avatar 86surf
11:39 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 2
02-25-2012 | Posts: 13
Looks really clean. Nice job.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Subscribe to this Thread