50 ft phone line for DSL modem a bad idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey guys, I want to route a phone line around my room to my equipment closet. It's the closest phone jack so it's about 50ft distance. Would this degrade my download speed and such? Reason why I want to do this because some of the equipment is not wifi like the AVR and DirectTV. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
May work fine.. lots of variables. You could also just run network Ethernet over there and put a network switch with the AV gear. Here's the cool thing if you run cat5 for the phone and it doesn't work you can always use that for the network.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Hey guys, I want to route a phone line around my room to my equipment closet. It's the closest phone jack so it's about 50ft distance. Would this degrade my download speed and such? Reason why I want to do this because some of the equipment is not wifi like the AVR and DirectTV. Thanks in advance.

The line came several thousand feet from the central office... 50 more feet not going to matter much. (oversimplification)

As zamboniman said, you could leave the modem where it is and run the Ethernet connection from there, which would be the preferred solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Problem is modem is down stairs and home theater is up stairs. I think ill go the phone line route.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Problem is modem is down stairs and home theater is up stairs. I think ill go the phone line route.

If you are going through that trouble, just run cat-5e or cat-6, and install a network switch with a router, down where the modem is.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If you are going through that trouble, just run cat-5e or cat-6, and install a network switch with a router, down where the modem is.

I use a router & then switches in each room that has a Home Theater(DirecTV,AVR,Blu-Ray player, HTPC , displays )& rooms that have PC's,printers all in Cat5. 4 switches total, one in each room

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

How the heck am I suppose to fish wires through that many walls? The way my house is built it's almost damn impossible to do it like that.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:

How the heck am I suppose to fish wires through that many walls? The way my house is built it's almost damn impossible to do it like that.

Ok, now I think you've confused all of us...

Are you saying that you've only got phone wiring in the house, and that there are phone jacks at one location (where the modem currently is) and another in your equipment area (50' further)?

Assuming you're not running any new wire at all, then yes, move the modem to the equipment area.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 AM

If you are going to do this DO NOT run a plain flat phone cord from one place to another they are not twisted pairs and can effect DSL speeds ect. Run a piece of cat5 and put rj11 ends on it or tap into the back of the jack.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

One run upstairs, then a switch, or do like most, and take the time. Are we talking a two story, or single floor home? I just took mine up from the basement, into the walls at each location that I needed hard line at. I have a mix of wired & wireless in my home, and it works.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by System View Post

If you are going to do this DO NOT run a plain flat phone cord from one place to another they are not twisted pairs and can effect DSL speeds ect. Run a piece of cat5 and put rj11 ends on it or tap into the back of the jack.

Actually System, use RJ-11 Keystones, and use either Green/Green-white or Blue/Blue-white pairs on the two middle pins.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Ok, now I think you've confused all of us...

Are you saying that you've only got phone wiring in the house, and that there are phone jacks at one location (where the modem currently is) and another in your equipment area (50' further)?

Assuming you're not running any new wire at all, then yes, move the modem to the equipment area.

Jeff

This
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

All I have are phone lines, no cat 5 jacks besides the modem. It's a two story house. No dry walls are down, I'm trying to do this without demolition.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow im an idiot, went to Lowes and the lady said the same thing you just said. After seeing what you guys are talking about I understand now. And so I bought a 100' of cat5 and a rj11 jack for the equipment closet. Thanks guys, sorry for being stubborn.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM

No problem, I am a tech for Verizon so I know a little about dsl and phone lines. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now I'm trying to figure out how to wire this. Whoever built this house made a mess in this phone jack box. Wires are everywhere! I don't know what I need to hook up.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Go to the NID with the run if you have to. Post a picture of where all of the lines are inter connected, and the NID if you have to. If it was done correctly, Red & Green is your only incoming line, then Cat-5e was used, or multi-pair cat-3, either Green/Green-White should be your pair-1, or the tech may have used Blue/Blue-white as pair 1.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like just blue and white blue are used. Are those the only colors I have to hook up? Seems so little for DSL
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Yes, the blue pair can be used. If all you have is Cat-5e in the house, and every jack is hooked up with the blue pair, you are set to go. Now on the catch-22, if they did not home run everything back to the basement, you would have to place filters on every jack, if you have just regular adsl. You can still find the Secor/Corning ADSL filters that go in the NIDS, but those are going away, due to providers moving over to dry loop, or such as how U-Verse from ATT is, that you no longer need filters.

I just took all of my lines, when I rewired the house, when we first moved in, into a unit that I got from Radioshack, that was for telephone wiring. All that you really need, is either a punch-down, or use a terminal block to connect the blue pairs to, to help clean that up.

For the DSL line though, try an existing jack, after you get the mess cleaned up, to see if you do not have to pull new telephone wiring.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sweet it worked!

Now if only I can get my Directv to work in the new home theater.