Pre-wired speakers set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I recently bought a house that's has built in speakers (4) on the ceiling. There are two in the back and two in the front of the family room. I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver. I connected the speaker wires (from the wall as provided by the builder) to the Onkyo receiver and I am able to get audio working on the four speakers.

However, there is a wire from the wall that is labeled "center". The house doesn't come with a center speaker. I have a center speaker I can use but do I need a splitter that connects from the wall to the receiver and then from the reciever to the center speaker.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifo123 View Post

However, there is a wire from the wall that is labeled "center". The house doesn't come with a center speaker. I have a center speaker I can use but do I need a splitter that connects from the wall to the receiver and then from the receiver to the center speaker.

Where is the other end of the 'center' speaker wire? If the one end you have is coming out of the wall along with the other speaker wires, you'd connect that end to your receiver's center channel output. The other end may be either behind a wall plate, tucked in any built-in TV center or other cabinetry, or could be buried behind drywall. You need to locate it so that you can connect your center speaker there - assuming you don't otherwise have a direct path from your receiver to your desired center speaker location.

There's no "splitter" involved - each amp channel needs to go to one speaker - don't hook two amp channels to one speaker wire...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jeff. This was a "doh" moment. The other end of the wire appears to be behind the dry wall. I will have to figure out how to get to it. I tried to see if I can pull it out of the wall but it's not budging. Thanks again for your quick response.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page