Home theater setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am having trouble connecting all my compnents together for a home theater setup. TV is LG (47lw5700) smart TV, Onkyo SR-605 receiver (with 2 HDMI In, 1 Out), a cable box and PlayStation 2.

Right now I have HDMI cables going into the receiver from the Cable Box and PlayStation and I have 1 HDMI going Out from the the receiver to the TV. When I try to use anything on the Smart TV (Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc..), I'm not getting any sound to the Surround Speakers (only out of the TV speakers). With netflix on, the audio from the cable box come out of the surround speakers and netflix on the TV.

How should I set it up so that all audio comes out of the surround speakers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
You'll need to run an optical digital audio cable from your TV back to your receiver to get sound from the TV Apps. If both devices (TV and Receiver) have support for the HDMI v1.4 Audio Return Channel (ARC), it would work with just a single HDMI cable. Can't tell if your TV has that support, but you receiver certainly doesn't...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM

I just recently fixed a similar issue with my TV & receiver. I purchased a 6ft Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio Cable from Monoprice ($3.82 shipped) and connected the devices via the optical digital audio sockets. Easy as pie!
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:

How should I set it up so that all audio comes out of the surround speakers?

Optical as others said, unless if your TV happens to have and HDMI out, you could run all the sources to the TV via HDMI and then an HDMI/optical out to the receiver from the TV (only need/use one receiver input) so whatever is on the tv is what you will get sound out of the receiver from and will only ever have to switch one source instead of two
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I have just ordered an optical cable from MonoPrice and will post the outcome once I test it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page