Couple of general questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on putting a 120" screen on the wall for my EPSON 8350. Using the calculator pro, it says 16' throw. I do have some light in the room during the day so can I move it a bit closer to get more ligh output and still get a 120" screen? I think I can since the projector pro uses 1.55 zoom standard, so if I moved it forward I'd just have to use less zoom.

Also, my ceilings are 10'6" and the bottom and top of the screen will be at 30" and 89" from the floor, respectively (assumes 59" screen height). Do I need to add a drop down pole to mount the projector lower so I don't have to max out the vertical lens shift? Is that a better idea? Is there a standard or recommended projector to screen vertical placement?

And for a really dumb question...what's the purpose for running ethernet cables to a projector?

Thanks!!

Projector - EPSON 8350
Screen - DIY BOC 120" Fixed Screen
AVR - Denon 1612
Speakers - PolkAudio Monitor 60's
Sub - Coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems like the most recommended placement around here is the projector be at the same height as the top of the screen so going with that you would need a post on the mount to get it down that low.

Depending on the projector, a network cable could be used for command/control using a laptop/browser or something. You could diagnose issues or run setup options etc.. right from your laptop or even remotely if needed.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post

It seems like the most recommended placement around here is the projector be at the same height as the top of the screen so going with that you would need a post on the mount to get it down that low.

Depending on the projector, a network cable could be used for command/control using a laptop/browser or something. You could diagnose issues or run setup options etc.. right from your laptop or even remotely if needed.

Youzers! Look's like i'll need to bring my PJ down from the ceiling about 3'...or bring my screen up a bit.

After reading a little more about cat6 cables, looks like these are also used to run HDMI over long distances? So you run an HDMI from source to your HDMI>Cat6 extender, then run cat 6 to your PJ? Or do you have to have an extender at the PJ to to go from cat6 to HDMI to go into the PJ?

I'd have to have at least a 35'-40' HDMI cable to reach from my devices to my PJ. Is that too long? Or should I be considering a cat6 extender?

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
35-40' should be fine for hdmi. Just get a decent cable. I will using a 50' myself.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetater11 View Post

Youzers! Look's like i'll need to bring my PJ down from the ceiling about 3'...or bring my screen up a bit.

Be aware, that to avoid a crick in your neck you want your screen to be mounted so that 1/3 of the image height is below your seated eye level. So on a 120" screen 16:9 means its about 105 wide, 59 high. So you want 59/3 or 19.7" below your eye level (which varies depending on your height and seating choice - more complicated still for multiple rows). In my room I am planning to put the bottom of the viewing area at 16.3 inches. My seated eye height is 36".

This applies to other screens too, so you'll see some groan when people mount over a fireplace. That said, it is a rule of thumb, so it can vary some. But I have found it to be a good guide.

My HDMI cord is a 40 footer. Since I had to fish it, I fished two and got them from Blue Jeans (their cheaper tartan line) as opposed to using monoprice. They work fine.

Ethernet is sometimes run to use as with baluns for HDMI. It is also run as a general, all purpose handy thing to have/future proof. For example, you might fire RS232 controls or 12v triggers off it. Or in the future there could be PJ's with internet features, or whatever.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Be aware, that to avoid a crick in your neck you want your screen to be mounted so that 1/3 of the image height is below your seated eye level. So on a 120" screen 16:9 means its about 105 wide, 59 high. So you want 59/3 or 19.7" below your eye level (which varies depending on your height and seating choice - more complicated still for multiple rows). In my room I am planning to put the bottom of the viewing area at 16.3 inches. My seated eye height is 36".

This applies to other screens too, so you'll see some groan when people mount over a fireplace. That said, it is a rule of thumb, so it can vary some. But I have found it to be a good guide.

My HDMI cord is a 40 footer. Since I had to fish it, I fished two and got them from Blue Jeans (their cheaper tartan line) as opposed to using monoprice. They work fine.

Ethernet is sometimes run to use as with baluns for HDMI. It is also run as a general, all purpose handy thing to have/future proof. For example, you might fire RS232 controls or 12v triggers off it. Or in the future there could be PJ's with internet features, or whatever.

Yeah I've got the outline of my screen on the wall (120") and put it on the wall so 1/3 is below eye level since I read that on this forum before, very helpful advice.

I think my only concern is having to put in a ~3' drop down pole to mount my PJ on since my ceilings are so high. Think it would be quite an eyesore.

Which brings me to my next question...anyone ever used a telescoping down rod to mount their PJ on so it is up to the ceiling when not in use, but can be lowered when needed via a switch on the wall or remote? I was thinking the entire rod would retract into the ceiling so the PJ is flush with the ceiling when it is not in use. Any ideas?

I also thought about building a half wall or something behind the couch and putting the PJ on a shelf but it would ruin my open floor plan and cut the room in half and I would no longer be able to watch TV from the kitchen...and if it were on a shelf, then I have to worry about people walking in front of it and what not.

Another main problem is that to run an HDMI to the PJ, the wall it needs to go up to the ceiling through is an exterior wall and there are only ferring strips and then block wall and insulation in between so it's gonna be pretty hard to run it there. One option would be to move my cable box, Wii, XBOX, etc to a rack in beside the couch that would look like a night stand or small table that belongs there but would hold my devices there so I could run the cable up through an interior wall with no insulation.

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have not seen telescoping rods, but there are lots of projector lifts where a platform drops.

Here is a DIY version recently done, and done well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1387931

Some folks will put the PJ in/under a coffee table as another way to skin the cat.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page