Suggestions for in-ceiling speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I am looking for suggestions for good but reasonably priced speakers that I can mount in my ceiling. I just today picked up my new TV (Samsung un55d7900) and will be using a Marantz S5001 receiver, a Polk audio soundbar 50, a Polk audio PSW 111 subwoofer as well as Xbox 360, and a Samsung 3d bluray and a iPod dock all controlled by a harmony 900. With Verizon fios.
Let me say that I am not a huge audiophile ( as long as the grateful dead and pink Floyd sound respectable I am happy) and I do not watch a ton of movies. But since I am having work done on this room and the wires are being run through the walls I figured I would add some speakers to compliment the rest of the components. I was thinking two rear speakers since I already have the sound bar that will sit under the television. I would need these speakers to be as discrete as possible as per request from my wife as the setup is in our main living room. The room is rectangular and 13 ft wide by 20 ft long and the couch sits about 14 ft from where the television will be mounted on the wall. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. I am new here so I hope I posted in the right section. Thank you. Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM

For best results, you will want to timbre match your new speakers to your Polk SurroundBar. Do you know which series of Polk speakers timbre match to that?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I do not. By "timbre" I assume you mean pair up?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Well, sort of correct. Timbre matching means the way the speaker sounds overall and how well it blends seamlessly with your other speakers. Primarily, it is how a speaker reproduces sound from the mid to high frequencies. Most of the time, having the same tweeters across all your speakers gets you close, but the easiest way to timbre match is to use the same "series" of speaker from one manufacturer.

So, the question remains is what series of Polk speakers is the SurroundBar 500 matched to? Is it the RTi's or LSI's for example? Now, to be completely honest, for gaming and movies it's not entirely required to timbre match your surrounds as these speakers produce mainly ambient and special effects sounds. However, it's critical your rear channels are timbre matched when listening to multi-channel music playback via SACD, DVD-A, or other high fidelity formats.

Does that make sense? You might have to call Polk Audio and ask what series of in-walls are timbre matched to your SurroundBar.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
GDN

There is a lot to be said about matching speakers, but you've said you are not an adiophile and you have a soundbar which can only be so powerful. Depending on your needs and exactly what you are looking for - I think monoprice has some really good speakers for their price. I don't know exactly how they'd work out with a soundbar and use in surround, but I have several pair in different rooms for general listening, 2 channel audio. I'm not rocking the house down with parties, but they deliver excellent results for what I wanted and for their cost.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'd run wires for the L-C-R anyway, to futureproof. Your next wife may appreciate better sound.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Well, sort of correct. Timbre matching means the way the speaker sounds overall and how well it blends seamlessly with your other speakers. Primarily, it is how a speaker reproduces sound from the mid to high frequencies. Most of the time, having the same tweeters across all your speakers gets you close, but the easiest way to timbre match is to use the same "series" of speaker from one manufacturer.

So, the question remains is what series of Polk speakers is the SurroundBar 500 matched to? Is it the RTi's or LSI's for example? Now, to be completely honest, for gaming and movies it's not entirely required to timbre match your surrounds as these speakers produce mainly ambient and special effects sounds. However, it's critical your rear channels are timbre matched when listening to multi-channel music playback via SACD, DVD-A, or other high fidelity formats.

Does that make sense? You might have to call Polk Audio and ask what series of in-walls are timbre matched to your SurroundBar.

That is what I would too. Give Polk a call or shoot them an email and see what they say. Their in-ceiling speakers are a decent value and performance.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another thing to think about with in ceiling speakers is the direction the sound will come from. A lot of them are "down firing" and aren't adjustable. There are others that give you more flexibility of where to direct the sound by using "swiveling tweeters" or something along that line.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page