I need some lighting help - ASAP. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We are building a multipurpose room. Half will be a 14 seat theater and half a game room but all 1 big room. When the theater is not in use we will use it as a sit and socialize area. The room is 24' x 40'. The ceiling is about 8' tall. We decide to install 6" LED Light Cans. Does anybody know how many I will need. I did a litle research and I am guessing about 12 of them evenly spaced out. I am going to Home Depot tonight or early tomorrow so any input would be greatly apreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Is this the only lighting you're planning for that whole room?

Don't know how many cans you need for that space (minimum), but 12 doesn't sound like enough... Whatever you do, make sure you split those out into many dimmer zones. You'll want to control the levels in the theater area much differently than others.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yeah, for a room that big 12 will not be nearly enough. I have 4 sconces and 8 cans in a 13.5 x 20 room and it works really well. I would guess that you would need at least double that amount. If you put them on "banks" of dimmers you won't have to worry about it because you can always dim them.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input. I really apreciate it Yes this is the only lighting that I plan for this room. We are putting the lights on three different switches with dimmers. So yes we will be able to light up different areas.

The led lights are 15 watts but equivalent to a 60 watt regular light. I just can't figure out how many to use and the guys at home depot are no help.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

The only problem with more lights is with cans and tax they are 70 dollars each. The LEDs are way more expensive but supposedly u need half as many. So I only want to get what I have to but I want enough. 12 more would be another 800 dollars.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

The LEDs are way more expensive but supposedly u need half as many.

Where did that info come from? LED vs. any other light source won't matter in terms of coverage from each fixture location. You need the right number of fixtures, and then adjust wattage accordingly.

Quote:

So I only want to get what I have to but I want enough. 12 more would be another 800 dollars.

Buy incandescent now, wait a year or two, those LEDs will be $10 (maybe! ) and you probably only used $100 of "extra" electricity in the meantime, while saving $1579 in bulbs in the meantime...

(I made those numbers up, but you can do the math - hours per day of usage * kW/h delta and so forth...)

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I am also worried about my electrical load. With the LED's I will use less power.... How many 6" inccandescents can I put on 1 light switch? Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

I am also worried about my electrical load. With the LED's I will use less power.... How many 6" inccandescents can I put on 1 light switch? Thanks again.

That will depend on the switch/dimmer and wattage of bulbs. You can get 1000W dimmers and 600W dimmers. Assuming the circuit has room for the load you could safely fit 13 75W incandescent bulbs on a 1000W dimmer (as long as none of the fins are removed from the dimmer). Removing the fins (as you would need to in a multi-gang installation) will decrease the dimmer's capacity.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank u. That is great info.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10
I wouldn't space the cans out any further than a 6' x 6' grid. Dim them in a few zones. Get the regular incandescent/halogen cans for now, replace with LED lamps in a few years. Saying you need less LED fixtures is a myth. Look at the lumen output of both to make your decision- lumens are the measure of how much light the fixture produces. Even if the LEDs produce more light, you will still be limited by the light distribution of the cans. If you space them too far apart, you'll have bright spots directly below fixtures and dark spots between.

Look at the installation instructions on a Lutron Maestro dimmer for example. You have de-rate the number of watts the dimmer is good for when mounting multiple dimmers in a multi-gang box.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

The LED lights were on sale so we went with those. I got them for 25 dollars each and 15 for the cans. My contractor is charging me 30 dollars each for installation. He is going to install 12 and we will see how we like it. If it is not enough he will add 6 more between the others. Does that make sense?

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page