Is basement too small for surround sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are getting ready to buy a new house and have fallen in love with a house with a weird basement. It is finished and 11x40x7 ft high ceilings and don't know how good this will work with surround and possibly a projector. I currently have aperion grand towers and matching center and surrounds because I was thinking we would find a bigger basement but hopefully this one will work just wanted to get some opinions thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 476
It'll be narrow, so you'll have to be careful with how you arrange your seating. If you want a second row, the riser will have to be fairly low... that means the screen will need to sit a bit higher than normal. There's a riser height calculator on the dedicated theater thread.

Due to the lower than normal ceilings, you'll also have to choose a projector that allows for a good deal of vertical lens shift adjustment. That would automatically rule out most DLP projectors, as they mostly have fixed image offsets for 8 foot or higher ceilings. And you'll want a flush mount ceiling bracket.

One thing to consider is a projector with a long throw lens, so you could mount it behind your seating so you don't have to duck.

Another point... since the room is 40' long, you'll want to strongly think about walling off your main theater section from the rest of the basement and keep it dedicated. Otherwise, you'll wish you had different speakers like Seaton, Triad, Procella, or other brands and multiple subwoofers designed for large home theater spaces.

The only other option would be to start looking at different houses with generous, open floor-plan walk-out basements (usually can accommodate 9 foot or higher ceilings) or at least those with below-grade basements with standard 8 foot ceilings (if you're lucky) that could easily handle a home theater environment.

It all depends on how "in to" home theaters and "man caves" you are. Personally, I'd keep looking.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help the ceilings are actually 8 foot and after measuring better the room is actually 11 ft wide. My wife loves the house so im guessing im not gonna have much of say but I think I can make it work I just may not get to have a projector
post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm in a townhouse with a small basement. The main part that my ht is in is 30x15. I have a 7.1 setup that sounds very good. Curious why you dont think you will be able to do a projector.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Think acoustically transparent screen on one end wall.

A nice example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1036161
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I still may do the projector just not sure about the room size that's all but im going back to the house to check it out some more and the acoustical screen in the back will be a must. I am going to see about widening the basement also because I want it to be at least 13 to 15 ft
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Think acoustically transparent screen on one end wall.

A nice example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1036161

That's a good example of a clean looking AT screen retrofit in a smallish basement! SeymourAV has a good 4k resolution friendly transparent fabric (perhaps SMX does too)... might as well be ready for 4k projectors if you're just starting with an AT screen.

The only thing I'd do is paint the room a darker color and add more acoustic treatments throughout the space.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

All good points. And I'll add, I'd use less framing.

I have a 54x96" AT screen in what's is 79" below the soffit, and 9'5" wide. There's also a horizontal masking system and about $10 worth of 2x4" framing.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

All good points. And I'll add, I'd use less framing.

I have a 54x96" AT screen in what's is 79" below the soffit, and 9'5" wide. There's also a horizontal masking system and about $10 worth of 2x4" framing.

Though, with two massive subwoofers behind their false wall, I could see where the extra bracing would make it less apt to vibrate during a movie with a rockin' bass-heavy soundtrack.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really a problem. The framing doesn't catch air. What you don't want, is a sub driver (or port) firing onto the screen material or the screen material will move.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page