Running Cables for First Time Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a theater room where we used to have a large DLP television. I'm in the process of setting up our first projector soon and need to run our cables for the projector inputs.

To err on the side of caution I had planned on running two 35' HDMI, but should I include a CAT5 in there as well?

Projector: Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010
AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021-K 3D Receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhightower View Post

So I have a theater room where we used to have a large DLP television. I'm in the process of setting up our first projector soon and need to run our cables for the projector inputs.

To err on the side of caution I had planned on running two 35' HDMI, but should I include a CAT5 in there as well?

Projector: Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010
AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021-K 3D Receiver

Two cat5e, one hdmi is my standard as well as power which is on the same electrical circuit as everything else in the theater and preferably fed by a ups in your equipment rack.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm a noob and from what I have learned in the last few weeks:

Based on the projector model, you need to calculate where exactly to place the projector : http://www.theprojectorpros.com/lear...setting_up.htm

Are you going to use a surge protector for the projector?

IMO - all you need is one HDMI and one Cat5 going into the projector assuming you have a receiver. The TV, DVD, Wii etc will all use HDMI going into the receiver and one HDMI will go from the receiver to the projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

Do you have support in the ceiling to mount the projector. Search this forum for the right ceiling mount.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
You may want to pull 2 cat 5 cables in case you have issue with the 35' HDMI. You are pushing the limit of HDMI, and you can get much more range with HDMI over Cat5. Of course you have to buy the transmitter and receiver..
All that said, I bought the FLAT 35' HDMI cable from monoprice and it is working fine. It is very flexible and pull real nice. It is WIDE and the ends are Fat and wide.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you have the roll of cat 5 it can not hurt to have it in there. Nothing worse than having to pull more wire later.. unless you put a big old conduit in..
Good luck!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the room is on the second floor so I have full access in the attic to build the projector support if needed into the existing ceiling frame.

I didn't think about the power protection, so I could either add the surge protection at the projector location or run the power to the front of the room as well and loop it into my Monster HTS-2500 Power Center... I guess.

Unfortunately the receiver (Pioneer VSX-1021-K) I will have doesn't have ethernet pass through capabilities (via HDMI) so Cat5e will be included as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doug, I was looking at that HDMI and noticed that at the 35' mark they don't appear to be "high speed" and only list it as "up to 1080i". Does that impact the ability to present in 1080p at all?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I just saw that myself, I do not recall reading that when I bought it some months ago.
It will do 1080p, however, I don't normally send 1080p since it is a kitchen TV and my main display is a 720p projector, hell the wife watches SD cooking channels on it! So it may be better for you to pick one that says it will do 1080p. It just may be that 35' is beyond the spec for HDMI, so that is their disclaimer if it does not work. I have my cable plugged into a Matrix the claims it will allow longer runs than 25'. I would suggest you do a bit more research on the cable, there is an All things HDMI forum on this site down near the end of the main list.
Oh, the reason I went with that flat cable was I needed to make a very tight bend to plug in to the side of the TV. Most of the other High Speed cables I have do not bend that sharply. The flat one will bend completely back on itself.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd run three or four Cat5e in addition to the HDMI cable. Ethernet? IR/serial control? Spares for a video balun in case the HDMI doesn't work properly?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I probably will go with a bundle of HDMI, Cat5e and Ethernet. I'm just hoping the guys who wired the room initially made it so this won't be difficult to wire more than what's already there...

Since the wall this is going down is an external wall I'm expecting this to be a tough "fishing" job that I'll need to outsource. We'll see when I take a look in that attic tomorrow.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page