How do I wirelessly connect my TV to my receiver/cable box/blueray player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are the components I'm looking to connect

40" Sony Google TV (Mounted to wall)
Denon AVR1312 Receiver (in a cabinet 10' from TV)
Insignia Blue Ray Player (in a cabinet 10' from TV)
Time Warner Cable box (in a cabinet 10' from TV)

I've seen a lot of great Wireless Transmitter/Receiver kits with multiple HDMI ports on the transmitter. Which is great for sending audio and video from the receiver, blueray and cable box. But how do I get the audio signal from my Internet TV, which I watch youtube videos and various online content back to my receiver?

Is there a single wireless device that can do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Liked: 32
Why not do HDMI over Ethernet? You get the audio through the stream, either wireless or hdmi over ethernet.

There are HDMI transmitter/receiver combos out there, but not enough info yet as to give a well rounded review as to how good they are, due to most have only been out on the market for about two years, and with 3D most may not handle the 1080p stream.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking to connect through HDMI. I'm just not sure how to get the Audio signal from the TV to my receiver without having a separate wireless audio transmitter. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I want all of my audio (cable, tv, blueray) all to go through my receiver and its speakers.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM

You do it through HDMI over Ethernet as I have already stated.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

So, if I connect the blue ray, cable box, and receiver to the wireless transmitters HDMI ports and my TV to the wireless receivers HDMI port, I will be able to get an audio signal to return back to my receiver? I thought the signal can only go one way. Are there any of these products that you would recommend?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Everything connects through the AVRS (ie a/v receiver), then from there you send the signal from the HDMI out to the tv through HDMI over Ethernet. If you wish to control everything, do it through a IR over RF remote. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy.

Now ask yourself this question. If you connect everything through the AVRS, why would you need to send a audio back down the line, unless you want to monitor what is going upstream, which would not happen in your situation.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

The TV I'm using is an internet ready Sony Google TV. I watch a lot of online based content through the TV. I'd like to be able to send the audio signal from the TV back to the receiver. There in lies my problem, there seems to be many great wireless devices that will send my audio and video from the receiver to the TV (which I need), but I can't find a solution that would allow me to send my TV audio back to the receiver. Am I nuts? Is this not possible? We did put a man on the moon.

I really do appreciate your willingness to help. I am somewhat of layman with regard to a/v so I am not sure that I'm articulating myself correctly.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM

You can not send audio back to the receiver if you are wanting to stream a/v through other methods. Basically there is no reason to do so, UNLESS you want to send what the TV is playing through its "smart" hookup, then you will need to send through either optical or composite audio, which is another topic.

You could still send audio back from the tv through either wireless, optical through "Octopus" with the Ethernet, etc.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 363
What's in the 10' between the TV and the components that prevent you from just using an HDMI cable with ARC/Ethernet and be done? You could drop the HDMI cable down the wall from TV to the baseboard, at least for starters.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Hi,

I have the same question. Did you find solution to this?

I have Sony HX850 and Pioneer VSX 1020 receiver. I would like to use my surround system which is connected to receiver when I play through smart TV app on my TV.

Also, My TV flickers a lot and eventually stabilize after 5-10 mins. when watching cable, that is connected to my receiver. When I call Sony, sony says TV works fine when directly connected. My receiver works just fine with old LCD tv.

Any ideas?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
do a search for "wireless audio video transmitter and receiver". You will find a wide assortment of devices designed to wirelessly transmit analog stereo audio. (as well as composite video, usually) I have yet to see this type of device with an optical or coaxial digital audio input, which means if that is all your TV has, you need to convert.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2
Monoprice and many others sell optical to analog audio adapters for a very reasonable price. It won't get you digital surround to your receiver, but how much of the online content you are watching is
encoded that way? Analog stereo to your receiver is still worlds better than your TV's speakers.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #12 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 363
You'll get better results for similar costs by buying a Roku streamer or AppleTV to get the same "apps" support, and put that device with your receiver. That assumes you have no spare wiring between the TV and your receiver, and you do have an HDMI cable between them.

Alternatively, you can get digital audio back to the AVR from the TV using coax or cat5 cable if you have any not being used. The optical output can be converted to coax easily - cat5 will take a bit more work, but either would preserve the surround capabilities (assuming for Netflix or Hulu).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page