AVS Forum banner

Grade my wiring before I button it up

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SmokenAshes 
#1 ·
I routed all my speaker wires underneath the dry walls. I took off the base boards and cut out some dry wall and routed all my speaker wire around my room to the closet where AV equipment is. Let me know what you think before I install the base boards.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done! I think we can point to your photos when folks say they "can't run wires"... That's how you do it!

While you've got your channel open, I'd run ~2-3 cat5e/cat6 lines from your rack to the front of the room, and perhaps an RG6 "just in case". It could come in handy for game sensors, IR repeaters, the 2016 model year 100" flatscreen that you got on sale for $599...
Oh, or Ethernet, too.

Jeff

#4 ·
I'd give it an "F" for sure. "F" for fantastic that is. Well done! Very unique solution to getting the cables run. Just be very careful when you put the baseboard back up that you don't nail into those pretty wires. I'm with Jeff, you always should run a few more wires than you will think you need at the time for those "just in case" moments.

What speakers and equipment are you running? I really like the component rack. Looks sharp.

Regards,

RTROSE

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 /forum/post/0

Looks good. I'm in the middle of doing this right now. Are you patching the drywall before you put the baseboards back on or are you not going to worry about it since the wires are behind the baseboards?

Not going to worry about it. I got bigger base boards than the originals so I can nail them in and not worry about hitting the wires. I think the originals were 3" and my new ones are 5 and a quarter. Oh and I did run cat5 from a phone jack from the far side to the equipment closet, as you should be able to see in the pics. So my dsl modem is now in the closet. Also ran coax to the equipment closet for Directv. Thank you for the comments,

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/0

I'd give it an "F" for sure. "F" for fantastic that is. Well done! Very unique solution to getting the cables run. Just be very careful when you put the baseboard back up that you don't nail into those pretty wires. I'm with Jeff, you always should run a few more wires than you will think you need at the time for those "just in case" moments.

What speakers and equipment are you running? I really like the component rack. Looks sharp.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thank you! Equipment is as follows.

Speakers:

Front L/R - ARX A3

Center - ARX A2

Surround L/R - ARX A1

Sub - HSU VTF3 MK4

250' 12gauge speaker wire from Monoprice

Banana plugs and banana plug faceplates

Speaker pants

Techflex

Screen - 120" Visual Apex Tension Electric

Projector - Epson 8350

Reciever - Yamaha RX-A810

PS3

DirecTV

Acoustic panels x6 made from OC703 and speaker fabric.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes /forum/post/21749349

Oh and I did run cat5 from a phone jack from the far side to the equipment closet, as you should be able to see in the pics. So my dsl modem is now in the closet. Also ran coax to the equipment closet for Directv.

I'm thinking about future devices you may have in the front of the theater in the future, which would get their "signals" from sources in your rack. Hence the 2-3 cat5e's and additional coax. Coax could also be used for a powered sub in the future as well.

Jeff

#9 ·
Awesome,

Thanks for sharing. I have a Yammie 1010 and love it, I also have the 8350 and love it too! Nice system you have, I don't know much about the ARX speakers, how do you like them?

Regards,

RTROSE

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/0

Awesome,

Thanks for sharing. I have a Yammie 1010 and love it, I also have the 8350 and love it too! Nice system you have, I don't know much about the ARX speakers, how do you like them?

Regards,

RTROSE

I love them. Although they don't go as loud as I thought they would. But it could be just me because I don't want to push them yet cuz they are still new. They are from the audio insider website. But they sound so crystal clear. Close your eyes and its like the instruments are infront of you. Watching movies, the sound engulfs you, its amazing, as if the sounds was 3D.

#11 ·
Nicely done, I wouldn't worry to much about future proofing because all you have to do us cut the caulk with a razor pull the trim back, add the new wire, reset the trim and re-caulk and boom your back up and running.

Again nice job and great idea. Not only do you solve a wiring problem you get great new 5" molding. Be careful next thing you know you will be crown molding the ceiling and adding judges paneling everywhere

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmccool /forum/post/0

Nicely done, I wouldn't worry to much about future proofing because all you have to do us cut the caulk with a razor pull the trim back, add the new wire, reset the trim and re-caulk and boom your back up and running.

Again nice job and great idea. Not only do you solve a wiring problem you get great new 5" molding. Be careful next thing you know you will be crown molding the ceiling and adding judges paneling everywhere

Ummmm..... I actually did buy crown molding LOL.... Gonna practice with the base boards first though before I tackle crown molding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.