Lake house basement - need fresh ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just found this forum and enjoyed reading some of the design threads that I found here. Many seem to be asking about the same issues I am contemplating at my current stage of our remodel and I thought I would see if I might be able to get some new perspectives on our project.

We are just starting the remodel of the basement at our log cabin at the lake. Our kids our older now so we are taking out the air hockey, expanding the bar and trying to fit in a nice large TV/sitting area. I want the bar to include a sink and ice machine so I may be limited to keeping the bar in the general area it currently sits but I am open to new ideas if they are buildable.

As you can see in the pictures, we have just finished the drop ceiling rip out and had an HVAC company come in to redo the duct work which will give us a lot more options compared to the big soffet that ran through the middle of the room previously (new ductwork goes in next week).

I'm looking for any ideas you may have around bar layout (my plan at the moment is to have an L shaped bar built where the existing bar sits today, back cabinets along the wall that wrap around toward the HVAC unit ending at a full size fridge next to the HVAC unit (the fridge could be rolled out of the way for HVAC service if/when service is required). The small window will be covered by the back cabinets and a bar size 32" TV will be built into the design. Right now the tan cabinets look like they are in a closet but it should be fairly easy to tear out the framing for the closet so it will flow with the rest of the area. The only dsign issue is the fuse box - I think I will just have to be creative with the cabinet maker to make an access door to match the cabinets.

Here are pictures of the current basement layout floorplan, a few pictures of the basement as it existed prior to the ceiling tear out, some general pictures of the cabin including the new walkout doorway we just installed in the basement, and then pictures of the new deck and stonework the new doorway leads out to toward the lake.

Doorway at bottom of stairs will be closed off to provide more privacy for the bedroom and there will be a door installed as you go down the hallway behind the stairs to allow access to the bedroom.

The ductwork shown here is coming out next week and will replaced with wider ductwork but saving 6" in headroom. I am still trying to determine the ceiling design we will use for the entire basement but raising this ductwork provides a much nicer finished area no matter what we do with soffets and ceiling design. my current thought is drywall ceiling with exposed beams (maybe logs to keep the log cabin feel) and a coiffered ceiling above the bar with wood that matches the bar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Don't have anything helpful (yet) to say except That's one nice view. Makes me even more eager to jump on the jet ski this summer.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
If you're thinking about an ice machine, consider a full-sized (but small-ish) refrigerator with an icemaker instead... I was going down that path, thinking about the "beverage centers" with the glass front and maybe an ice machine. The machines run continuously, and frankly, the beverage centers don't get cold enough. As I was building the bar from scratch, too, it turned out to be much easier and cheaper just to include a recess for a regular fridge. Which of course has the benefits of having a lot more space, plus a freezer (which holds bags of ice for the few times a year a big party will need it).

Now, I'm not an ice maniac, so YMMV... But I can certainly fill up my Margaritaville blender just as easily as you can!

Only other suggestion from my experience (wish I had done) is to make sure there's a place to put a trash can that's not in the way. I keep one in a closet nearby for parties, but wish I had built it into the lower cabinetry with a swing-door, restaurant-style... Pull-out or normal cabinet door solutions for that would be lousy for a bar, IMO. Worst case just make sure there's a spot at the end.

I also had a woodworking friend build me a 3-tier bottle rack - those are available ($$$) with lights, too, depending on the look you want.

Oh, and while I originally was supposed to have glass racks above the bar, it didn't work out that way, and now I'm glad I did. You end up dusting the darn glasses if they don't get used, well, often.

Looks like a great space, and yeah, view is acceptable... (what's the location)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with the comment about the full size fridge - that is actually the current plan with the full size fridge with ice maker to be installed next to the HVAC unit (near the water supply lines) and it also provides for the service space required for HVAC repair. I will though have a space built into the bar for an under-counter ice machine since we do use a lot of ice at the lake. Where would you put the TV and seating?

This is at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border.

Hockeypuck - the boat will splash this weekend for St. Patty's day. Kids don't usually get the jetskis out until end of April. Our rule when they were younger was no jetskis until I see you in the water swimming . . . .
post #5 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Similar project and setting..... I'm watching...

Regarding ice machine.. we go through a TON on any given weekend so I'm contemplating my options there as well. I've given up on built in residential units as none hold enough (hardly more than a big bag) at any one time. And the commercial units that store a bunch and make a bunch are overkill. I basically can make slow but need a bunch in reserve. I'm considering either a chest freezer and having bag ice delivered in bulk way cheaper than the gas station OR converting a stardard top/bottom freezer w/icemaker to use the entire freezer space for ice storage instead of the little bucket.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

Similar project and setting..... I'm watching...

Regarding ice machine.. we go through a TON on any given weekend so I'm contemplating my options there as well. I've given up on built in residential units as none hold enough (hardly more than a big bag) at any one time. And the commercial units that store a bunch and make a bunch are overkill. I basically can make slow but need a bunch in reserve. I'm considering either a chest freezer and having bag ice delivered in bulk way cheaper than the gas station OR converting a stardard top/bottom freezer w/icemaker to use the entire freezer space for ice storage instead of the little bucket.

Here was a decent balance between commerical quality and price that you may want to consider. I don't know anyone that has this unit so further investigation may be required - I have seen them on a scratch and dent sale for very reasonable $. . . . . just FYI, not an endorsement as I don't own the machine (but would be interested in feedback if anyone else does have an edgestar). http://www.compactappliance.com/IB45...efault,pd.html
post #7 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Link?
post #8 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Fantastic space you have there both inside and outside.

So regarding the bar layout - it is hard to make suggestions without some more info. How many people do you want to be able to 'serve' at one time? Do you want just a large bar, or a smaller bar and a matching seating area? What else are you going to do in that space? You mentioned a large TV/sitting area, so I assume you don't want a projector/screen and theater seating, right?

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #9 of 31 Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Fantastic space you have there both inside and outside.

So regarding the bar layout - it is hard to make suggestions without some more info. How many people do you want to be able to 'serve' at one time? Do you want just a large bar, or a smaller bar and a matching seating area? What else are you going to do in that space? You mentioned a large TV/sitting area, so I assume you don't want a projector/screen and theater seating, right?

I had some time the last couple days to play with Sketchup and look through some online pictures from this site on others I could find on line. One picture had a similar layout to mine with theater seats and then a sitting bar behind the theater seats with some high bar stools. I think that would work real well in our space. My thoughts are to cover the walls in a knotty pine tongue and groove wood and then use log covers to hide the support beams. I'm not sure if you can open the attached sketchup drawing, but here is my basic rendition of what I am planning for our layout. Suggestions and criticism welcomed.
LL
LL
post #10 of 31 Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Refined the model a little further and began actually laying it out at the lake yesterday. People on the couch will be about 9 feet from the TV and the people at the bar behind the coach would be about 12 feet.

My wife still does not love the idea of having the fridge in the 'closet' but when we remove the wall that makes it a closet, I think it will work out fine. We will just need to have work in a custom cover for the fuse box to make everything look like it is part of the cabinetry.

Any comments on this layout?
LL
post #11 of 31 Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

I'm following closely as I have a basement that is very similiar, 35 x 25, rectangular as well, and exact same placement for the staircase. trying to do a similiar layout sans kitchen area. Looking forward to following your project!
post #12 of 31 Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S5 View Post

My wife still does not love the idea of having the fridge in the 'closet' but when we remove the wall that makes it a closet, I think it will work out fine. We will just need to have work in a custom cover for the fuse box to make everything look like it is part of the cabinetry.

Any comments on this layout?

Looking good! And I'm with you, once it no longer looks like a closet, the "built-in" look of the fridge will be fine. And she'll like having the extra capacity at "peak" party times.

One thought - I can't see how wide the 'hallway' space is between the bar and the posts, but assume it's a standard hallway. Make sure that with the barstools there you can still comfortably walk behind them. You might consider pulling the front bar in 6-12", such that a pushed-in stool would be essentially flush with the hallway. Might set off the bar area a little more, too, and looks like you have plenty of interior space in the bar to work with.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #13 of 31 Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff -

I just read through your home theater build thread. What a great project and beautiful end product. Awesome design and build. I love it.
post #14 of 31 Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just read through your home theater build thread. What a great project and beautiful end product. Awesome design and build. I love it.

Thanks! Be sure to look at the bar pictures I put in one of the posts - the stone tilework in the bar is one of the best selections I made. Something similar might work for your rustic finish, too...

Jeff

post #15 of 31 Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff -

My wife and I looked at your bar pictures last night. We considered the same stone for the backsplash on our kitchen remodel we did last year. We ended up going with a slate stone just for easier cleaning in the kitchen but we did like the stone look. We used Alder wood for the cabinets and may use something similar for our bar in the basement.

Before:

After:
LL
LL
post #16 of 31 Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ee considered the same stone for the backsplash on our kitchen remodel we did last year. We ended up going with a slate stone just for easier cleaning in the kitchen but we did like the stone look.

Yeah, I wouldn't have used that in the kitchen, either - would be impossible to keep clean. But in the bar where there's no cooktop to worry about, not a problem. Do consider some stonework - keep that rustic look going!

Oh, looks like we also chose the same corbels (mine are hard to make out with the darker stain, but they look exactly like your island).

Jeff

post #17 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

New HVAC main trunk duct work started installing today. Raising the roof was the goal but the added benefit was we removed some older fiber duct board that was filled with mold we didn't even know about. All the soft duct work was fine but the old fiber board they used in the 80's and 90's is junk that breeds mold. Glad that is gone for good.

Now beginning the process for getting quotes on the bar and cabinets although wondering if I could build them myself. I'm confident I could do the woodworking but don't have the spray facilities to do this large a job and question where I'll get the time to build it all. Hopefully there are some local cabinet makers that are hungry enough to get aggressive with the pricing and I can find something else to build instead.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at your renders it looks like the pool table will be very close to the bar behind the front row of seats. How much space do you have? If you search on-line I'm sure there is a site that will lay out how much space you need around a pool table.

I mention it because my uncle had a nice pool table that was too close to the bar in his basement, and you could not play pool if anyone was siting there. I'd hate for you to build a nice place like that and then find out there was not enough room for the pool table.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #19 of 31 Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Looking at your renders it looks like the pool table will be very close to the bar behind the front row of seats. How much space do you have? If you search on-line I'm sure there is a site that will lay out how much space you need around a pool table.

Thanks for the comment Chris - as soon as the duct work is finished (should be tomorrow) in the basement we'll be marking off the shape/size of the bar and chairs. We do have almost 13 feet from the lake side wall to the poles so there is plenty of room for the bar from the column to the end wall. The problem comes in when you start adding in chairs behind the bar and that where I just need to be physically in the room with a pool cue and bar stool to see how is is in real life.

I did meet with a cabinet guy at the lake today and he is trying to come up with a bar design based on the criteria we discussed. I'm hoping he has some good ideas.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did meet with a cabinet guy at the lake today and he is trying to come up with a bar design based on the criteria we discussed. I'm hoping he has some good ideas.

Try and get permission to post up his designs. Even if you have to post pictures of a napkin (hello Big, are you there? ) it'll help. Assuming you want our input, of course.

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #21 of 31 Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well life got in the way for us and slowed our project considerably. Found out a lot of the construction that was done in our basement by the previous owners was really not done right, not square and not plumb. So, although it looks like I have gone backwards in the construction process, the end result will hopefully be a much better product. We've ripped out all the drywall, some of the wall studs, re-doing the stairs, and installed some new doors so we are now back to building new rather than still tearing out old stuff. If you looked at my original pictures from the bar area, this is now the new version of what is in that space. Everything old has been ripped out including the all the ceiling, drywall and old cabinets. The only new thing in the picture is the beginning of the bar area (the soffett is starting to be framed with the metal studs).

As of 9/5/2012 1198k .jpg file

The electrician will be back this week working on the lighting plan and the remaining wiring that needs to be done. New insulation will go in the following week and then we will be ready for the wall treatments that will be drywall above tongue and groove wood below. He is my latest picture that I am using as inspiration for the bar to be built. I have narrowed it down to two cabinet builders that are working with me on an actual plan now that we can start taking final dimensions with old stuff removed.

Bar idea - general look we want.jpg 183k .jpg file

Right now I am trying to research the best wiring to be installed prior to the drywall being installed. Anyone have a good source for information related to the wiring requirements for a media center, speakers and two televisions? Any good links would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bar idea - general look we want.jpg (183.2 KB, 37 views)
post #22 of 31 Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I think your layout is about the best you can hope for or come up with. It's obvious the beams are the mitigating factor in potential layouts. Love the bar design as well. Let us know the sticker shock of being custom built like that. If someone quoted $3k or $30k, I really wouldn't know any different, if that says anything about my woodworking skills.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm working with a local Audio/Video company and here are the basics of the proposal they provided to me based on my room configuration described above. I'm planning on a 60 or 65" plasma and was looking for a 5.1 system. Here are the basics of the propsal - what do you think on the spread of the money? I thought I would spend more on the speakers and less on the receiver and then the installation costs seemed very high to me.

Thoughts?

Integra DTR 50.4 $1,595
New PSB - W3 Soundbar $1,200
PSB CW26 rear $450/pair
Goldenear Forcefield 3 Sub $499
Power conditioner MR4300 $299
TV Mount $299
Inwall surge protector for TV $85
installation and setup $1870
wiring $1000 (my electrician is going to physically wire - this was just thier estimate for supplying the speaker wires and cables. Speaker wire will be charged based on actual amount used)

I have no idea where the sales person came up with the soundbar option as that was never discussed until it showed up in the proposal. I can say, as someone brand new to home theater, selecting a system is very difficult when the dealer doesn't carry the components they are recommending.

Based on some reviews I've read on this forum, I was thinking of potentially comparing this proposal with Triad Bronze/4 inwalls for LCR and Triad Bronze/4 surround in-ceiling for the rear as it would be nice for our application to keep the speakers inwall.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S5 View Post

I'm working with a local Audio/Video company and here are the basics of the proposal they provided to me based on my room configuration described above. I'm planning on a 60 or 65" plasma and was looking for a 5.1 system. Here are the basics of the propsal - what do you think on the spread of the money? I thought I would spend more on the speakers and less on the receiver and then the installation costs seemed very high to me.
Thoughts?
Integra DTR 50.4 $1,595
New PSB - W3 Soundbar $1,200
PSB CW26 rear $450/pair
Goldenear Forcefield 3 Sub $499
Power conditioner MR4300 $299
TV Mount $299
Inwall surge protector for TV $85
installation and setup $1870
wiring $1000 (my electrician is going to physically wire - this was just thier estimate for supplying the speaker wires and cables. Speaker wire will be charged based on actual amount used)
I have no idea where the sales person came up with the soundbar option as that was never discussed until it showed up in the proposal. I can say, as someone brand new to home theater, selecting a system is very difficult when the dealer doesn't carry the components they are recommending.
Based on some reviews I've read on this forum, I was thinking of potentially comparing this proposal with Triad Bronze/4 inwalls for LCR and Triad Bronze/4 surround in-ceiling for the rear as it would be nice for our application to keep the speakers inwall.

You are spot on with your assesment. I would just move away from this AV company and go somewhere else. The Triad's are an excellent choice, and a good $500-800 receiver should be more than sufficient. As for a subwoofer, I would look to SVS, Hsu, and Rythmik. All of them offer great bang for the buck and would be superior to the Forcefield, but they will cost more.

The soundbar is an odd choice.. I recommend them when there is no other alternative due to poor speaker placement.. That is a sign to talk to another company IMHO.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You are spot on with your assesment. I would just move away from this AV company and go somewhere else. The Triad's are an excellent choice, and a good $500-800 receiver should be more than sufficient. As for a subwoofer, I would look to SVS, Hsu, and Rythmik. All of them offer great bang for the buck and would be superior to the Forcefield, but they will cost more.
The soundbar is an odd choice.. I recommend them when there is no other alternative due to poor speaker placement.. That is a sign to talk to another company IMHO.

Thanks Ack_bk - I think I am going with the Triad Inwall Bronze/4 for the LRC speakers. For the rears, I am looking at the Inceiling Bronze but wondered if you have thoughts on the open or the enclosed version of that speaker? Is there considerations for each type of speaker based on the construction and insulation in the ceiling they will be placed in or are there other reasons to consider an open vs. enclosed design? I also want a good sub to go along with the system, do you have a model you'd recommend from the brands you listed? I appreciate your input.
Rick
post #26 of 31 Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well if this project was going any slower, I think we would be moving backwards. It has been fun though and we are still excited about completing the project - the execution has just been so slow since the property is about an hour away from where we live. Where we are making progress, the results have been just as we had envisioned.

Here are the big things that have been done since the last update (not that many people will care about some of these details but it will be interesting for me to look back at the timeline).

One issue we had with the original layout was the electrical supply panel had been mounted about 4" away from the main studs of the basement wall. The green electrical panel can been see in the picture below but was in the 'closet area' in the originial pictures. The closet has been completely removed now and will be where the fridge is installed and cabinetry. We had our electrician, since he had to relocate a number of wires so we could remove the drop ceiling, move the entire electrical box to inset it in the wall. This will make the back bar much cleaner in appearance . . .
Electrical panel inset in wall and new HVAC installed

The old stairs were ripped out and we closed off a pass through door that led to the bedroom, installed a landing at the base of the stairs and then added a wider entrance stair into the basement. Still needs the woodworking and railing completed but the framing is complete and just waiting on us to install the stairs. We decided on wrought iron ballusters and wooden newell post and hand rail.
stair remodel

Next we ripped up the old vinyl tiles on the floor - what a job that turned out to be as the glue/epoxy used on the tiles was very difficult to neutralize and remove. Finally used sand and large floor sanders to cut through the glue and remove it down to the concrete for polishing. Although it took a few days longer than expected, the end result of the polishing and staining were very good. I have learned that not all stained concrete comes out as good as others. The color of the natural concrete dictates much of what can be done with the final color - we wanted browns/tans in our floor with an 'old world' look. We were very happy with the final result and hope we can find a nice complement for the finish on the bar.
Stained Concrete

Finally, last week they started building the bar ceiling. We are going with a coiffered ceiling with removable copper panels. We finally feel like with are on the home stretch in getting the bar done.
Another Ceiling pic
Bar Ceiling

Can't say it has been all work up at the lake. We do have a small portable bar we use on the back deck outside of the construction area once the day is done. We usually have very nice sunsets to sit back and enjoy the water and the progress.

post #27 of 31 Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S5 View Post

Next we ripped up the old vinyl tiles on the floor - what a job that turned out to be as the glue/epoxy used on the tiles was very difficult to neutralize and remove. Finally used sand and large floor sanders to cut through the glue and remove it down to the concrete for polishing. Although it took a few days longer than expected, the end result of the polishing and staining were very good. I have learned that not all stained concrete comes out as good as others. The color of the natural concrete dictates much of what can be done with the final color - we wanted browns/tans in our floor with an 'old world' look. We were very happy with the final result and hope we can find a nice complement for the finish on the bar.

If you want to match the bar top to the floor, you can make the bar top out of concrete. There have been a couple of builds in AVS using concrete for counter tops. The build names don't come to mind but a quick search would certainly turn up a couple if you are interested.

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #28 of 31 Old 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Chris. We definately are using wood for the 'drinking' side of the bar as I want to keep with a pub type theme with the wood and bar rail. For the finish on the wood of the bar, I'm looking for something on the darker brown side but I don't want it to really match the floor colors. Hoping to find something that goes well and complements the floor.

We are considering concrete for the lower part of the front bar, the back bar, and for the viewing bar but I was surprised to find out it is more expensive than granite when we had a company come out and show us some samples. It was very cool what they can do as far as incorporating broken glass, coins, shell, etc into the concrete but I'm not sure I would spend the extra money for the concrete instead of granite. I'll do a search and see if I can see some examples on the site. thanks.
Rick
post #29 of 31 Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've been on this site but our bar is finally done and just a little bit of work left on the full basement remodel. Here is a pic for anyone that wanted to see the final build of the bar. It is quite a transformation to look back and see where we started and then rebuild process we went through along the way. In the end, we love the final product and have already had some great times with friends and family enjoying the new bar at the lake.

barlights5.jpg

As for the theater area, we went with a 65" Panasonic Plasma (after we broke a 60" Panasonic Plasma with an errant ping pong paddle) and a 5.1 sound system with the following components:

Marantz 6008 Reciever
Oppo Blue Ray BDP-103
Panamax 4300 power conditioner
Monitor Audo Shadow 50 LRC speakers
Monitor Audio CT265FX Rear speakers in ceiling
Monitor Audio RXW12 Subwoofer
Monitor Audio CT265 Speakers in pool table area (zone 2)

To my very untrained ears, the system sounds great and the plasma picture is very nice both in TV HD and blue ray. We have not been a fan of concert movies in the past but with this system we have loved a few of the Blu-ray concerts we purchased including Supertramp Live in Paris 79, Adele at Royal Albert Hall and an Eagles concert. If you have the opportunity, grab one of these blue-ray concerts and see what you think. I was very impressed.
post #30 of 31 Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

A couple other comments based on some of the decisions we made during process for building out the bar.

We definately needed an ice machine - We ended up choosing a Uline BI98 mainly because I found a used one on craigslist and it would make and store 25lbs of ice / day. We also have the full size fridge with ice maker but it just can not keep up with demand when we have people over or we need ice for the boat cooler. This model also allowed for a custom door insert so it matches our bar cabinets.

We installed a undercounter wine fridge but it takes up a big part of the back bar area. We are not huge wine drinkers but we do keep a selection of wines for guests. I am already wondering if we will replace this fridge with a kegerator in the future.

I made some bottle racks for the back bar - it take a lot of room to have a fully stocked bar and the bottle racks with the LED lighting I think make this part of the bar stand out.

Barlights1-1.jpg

The viewing bar behind the couch in the theater area has been a big hit. The couch is great when we sit down to watch a movie but for general sitting around and playing pool, the viewing bar area with the bar stools and bar height counter have been getting a lot of use.

2013102295124253.jpg

Last, I had some small walnut pieces so I built a small shot glass tray. Did the inlay with maple and ebony.

Drinktray1.jpg

And for the scotch drinkers, this big hit in the bar has been the ice ball press. If you enjoy good scotch and want a little unique novelty for your bar, look into an ice press for making the large ice balls.

th_icemold1.jpg
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page