Family/Living room planned for projectior later on? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I'm currently in pre-construction phase for a new home, and I'm trying to figure out which wall to put my displays on (wall for projector screen and where the TV will also be mounted). I also need put place a fireplace either on the end wall (near the top of the picture) or reconfigure the exterior wall (currently with 3 windows) to allow for a fireplace there. The carpeted space I'm working with here is 17'x17'.

I've checked with the builder and he says the ceiling/upper floor beams are running from the exterior wall to the interior wall opposite from it. It would be left to right in the picture. He said that would not allow him to create a box/space for a retractable screen in the ceiling on the wall on the left in the picture. So I'm wondering what I can have done now, mainly fireplace placement, and in wall wiring, to prepare for an eventual projector and screen install in this room.

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Put the fireplace in the corner, so you don't consume either main area of the wall nor give up the nice big windows...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Put the fireplace in the corner, so you don't consume either main area of the wall nor give up the nice big windows...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I was leaning not having a corner fireplace to begin with, mainly because I wanted some separation between the fireplace and display areas. I'm putting in a linear fireplace (Montigo L38 to be specific) and I haven't seen too many of those installed into a corner, but its been done. I decided to sketch it out and see how it looks.

I've got about 15' between the screen and the end of the carpeted area right now. I'm looking at a 92" to 106" diag screens, preferably ones where you can install the case first and the screen/motor later. I found Da-lite and Draper ones that are like that, are there any others?

Here is a window wall side fireplace and end wall fireplace layouts:

The end wall fireplace layout's down side is that I will have to live with the box for the screen a foot or more away from the wall. However, the fireplace seems to "live" there the best, ugh...
post #4 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Yeah that does look like everything 'fits' the best.

------

post #5 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking the other (interior) corner... But yeah, that may not be a good aesthetic solution for a linear fireplace unit.

You should take a look at Stewart's Cabaret screen, which is a retractable with a stylish and contemporary housing (and optional lighting). May be an alternative to putting the screen into the ceiling. I know it's not cheap, but the install will be easy/cheap, and it also has the benefit of being able to be removed (taken with you if you move), or changed out/upgraded without major repairs to the ceiling...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Yeah that does look like everything 'fits' the best.

Which layout are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I was thinking the other (interior) corner... But yeah, that may not be a good aesthetic solution for a linear fireplace unit.

You should take a look at Stewart's Cabaret screen, which is a retractable with a stylish and contemporary housing (and optional lighting). May be an alternative to putting the screen into the ceiling. I know it's not cheap, but the install will be easy/cheap, and it also has the benefit of being able to be removed (taken with you if you move), or changed out/upgraded without major repairs to the ceiling...

Jeff

I can't find prices for the Cabaret screens, but I found some of their recessed screens for 3000+, which is way more than the Drapers and Da-Lites I was looking. Ouch... any idea if the Cabaret screens are in the 2k-ish range or lower?

I think I'm down to either the window wall side fireplace location, or the end-wall one. Any ideas on how to conceal a non-recessed screen? Can the cases on the non-recessed screens be painted?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam View Post

Which layout are you referring to?

Sorry. I was agreeing with you about the last layout. It just 'seems' the best.

I don't have any input on the screen, but like jautor says, it can be done.

------

post #8 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam View Post

I can't find prices for the Cabaret screens, but I found some of their recessed screens for 3000+, which is way more than the Drapers and Da-Lites I was looking. Ouch... any idea if the Cabaret screens are in the 2k-ish range or lower?

I don't, but will go out on a limb that its way more than 2k...

Quote:

I think I'm down to either the window wall side fireplace location, or the end-wall one. Any ideas on how to conceal a non-recessed screen? Can the cases on the non-recessed screens be painted?

Just be sure you're not going too far in trying to conceal the retracted screen, when you'll have a projector hanging from the ceiling, too. (meaning, what is "ugly" about the screen assembly that doesn't apply to the PJ)

That said, I think it would be cheaper/easier to build a soffit / enclosure on the screen wall to contain the screen assembly when retracted. Or just some brackets and an enclosure. Haven't looked, but wouldn't be surprised if there were off-the-shelf pieces for that.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think? Click on the thumbnail to see the picture full size.

The screen is a Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol, 106" diag, 16x9. The white box is the rough dimensions of a Epson 8350. Still trying to see if the we can live with those two things hanging out in the room...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that looks good, provided you have some goood light control

------

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page