Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I will be finishing my basement soon and am concerned about foot noise from upstairs. The noise from people walking is very loud (hardwood and ceramic floors on main floor directly on subfloor).

I was thinking about the whole RISC/hat channel/double dry wall/GG, however my wife wants recessed lights (she hates track lighting).

I know enough to understand that sound can "find" a pinhole, much less 15+ 7inch holes in the ceiling formed by the can lights. Thus, I fear that any kind of sound isolation would be meaningless since the noise will just penetrate via the recessed lights.

I can't run recessed lights in their own soffits so as to isolate the cans from the isolated ceiling because the ceiling height would be made too low.

Am I correct to believe that trying any sort of isolated ceiling construction would be defeated by recessed lights?

Ripping up the floor on the main floor to redo it with isolation between the hardwood and subfloor is not a feasible option (way too expensive).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Well the sound is mostly transmitted via vibrations in hard surfaces. I think you could still make a good improvement by decoupling the gyp ceiling and filling the ceiling cavity with a sound deadening insulation. Just be sure your cans are ic rated. It just won't be as "dead" as some others you have seen here, but I bet you'll be surprised.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
You should check out Jesto's Bethesda Build (yes, THAT Bethesda) in the Dedicated forum.

Here is a link to how jesto and BigMouthinDC treated the underside of the floor above.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that link! Ill have to see if something like that is in the budget!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Liked: 12
I had a similar issue when I finished my basement, lots of ceramic and regardless of how much insulation and green glue I used, I can still hear people talking upstairs. My last resort was to pull the can lights out and use loose fill insulation blown into the cavities and that finally made a difference.
I initially used R-38 stuffed into 16" floor trusses and double 5/8" drywall with green glue and while the theater and bedroom is dead quiet, the main basement area was subpar noise blocking.
FYI.....

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 View Post

I had a similar issue when I finished my basement, lots of ceramic and regardless of how much insulation and green glue I used, I can still hear people talking upstairs. My last resort was to pull the can lights out and use loose fill insulation blown into the cavities and that finally made a difference.
I initially used R-38 stuffed into 16" floor trusses and double 5/8" drywall with green glue and while the theater and bedroom is dead quiet, the main basement area was subpar noise blocking.
FYI.....

Thanks for your comments! I'll probably go for rsic clips and hat channel. I dunno if I can do dd/gg in addition with my budget though...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page