Adding a cooling closet design tips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI Guys!

As the title says im adding a remote closet to house my movie server, switch, router, cable modem, cable receiver, and any other electrical equipment.

Im setting this up in a closet located in the work shop connected to the back of the house.

I want to mount an exhaust fan inside the closet that vents to the back yard also an intake fan at the bottom of the closet that pulls in fresh air.

Here are my designs.

imgur.com/a/YgXmv

I havent bought any equipment yet other than the rack so let me know what equipment you guys suggest. The idea is that it will be thermally controlled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
You don't want to use unconditioned (outside) air to cool your electronics. The dust and humidity will shorten their lifespan.

A small window A/C unit mounted in the wall would be a better answer...

And yes, definitely isolate the gear/rack from your workshop because of the dust potential. And keep them on separate electrical circuits.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ah ok hmm. I guess I can wrote it from the adjacent wall for the intake. Thanks.. I did plan on putting filters. I'll redraw and put the intake to the kitchen

Any fan recommendations?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic makes an exhaust fan that gets a lot of recommendations. Note that you should also send your exhaust to a conditioned space as well if you're pulling from one. Otherwise you're pulling conditioned air out of your house and making your HVAC system work harder. Yes, bathroom exhaust fans do this, but they don't run 24/7, either - and they're getting rid of "foul" air (for lack of a better word).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I updated the drawings The air now is

intake from conditioned to exhaust outdoors

Do I need it to run 24/7? I was going to plug both fans into one of these controllers

amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Cooling-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332360943&sr=8-1-spell

Would that work?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're cooling the rack itself (a sealed enclosure), look at rack-level cooling solutions instead of exhaust fans. See:

http://www.coolcomponents.com
http://www.activethermal.com
http://www.middleatlantic.com
http://www.coolerguys.com

You don't list your location, but I would still recommend venting back to the kitchen. You could vent to the workshop if the fans are on 24/7.

As for the plug-in thermostat, probably not the best solution for an in-ceiling exhaust fan. The rack solutions guys will have thermostat solutions, though. If your heat load is switched, you can also just power the fans from an outlet switched on with the equipment.

Jeff

post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well the rack isn't a sealed rack. I just didnt have a 3d image of a open rack

I have this rack (a bit taller but very similar):

There is a door that I didnt draw. Since its not sealed I dont think those coolers will work. BUT that is pretty awesome I didnt know they have that.

In which case since my rack isnt sealed, which fan did you recommend. I'm in Los Angeles CA
post #8 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, then just look at any of the closet cooling solutions on those websites. One fan assembly for the return, and just a passive vent for intake - both from the kitchen. Recommend that you seal up that door with weatherproofing to keep the dust at bay...

And yeah, in LA, you don't want to intake/exhaust to outside.

Jeff

post #9 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

HI All

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

So I decided to pull the cold air from under the house and vent the hot air into the work shop. I was going to install an AC unit but I figured I'd take the gamble and give this a try. I am filtering the air from under the house so minus the a little bit of humidity its pretty cool air that gets sucked in. I dont mind the workshop getting too hot since since there are tons of windows open and im installing a large door to the back yard. This is mostly where I work on my motorcycles and such.. I figure if worse comes to worse and this doesnt work out well I can just install an AC unit after the fact. The hole under the house can still be used to route cable.

Anyways let me know what you think:

1. Busted a hole under the house. This is 1 of 2 holes since my workshop is on the slap and my house is on the raised foundation I figured I could take advantage of some of the cold air

2. Here's the funnel I made out of some dryer exhaust duct I cut up and riveted to the correct size

3. Forgot to take picture of the internal plate but here is rendering of what is installed

4. Here you can see the mess I made and the rack mount thats going in there. It took a bit of work to widen the door from a 28 to a 32". You can see the door I purchased. The blued taped area for the door is to the backyard. I actually decided to install a custom 40" door instead to fit the motorcycles.

5. External vent panel with the fans installed and the cables from the 5.1 and various Cat6 throughout the house

6. Installed a top exhaust fan

7. 5.1 and cat6 cables routed to a patch panel

8. Rack with all the media equipment as it sits now

9.So I could side the rack out and work on it I made this cable group. its about 10ft long. I was afraid it would get tangled but it works surprisingly well. The cables just lay between the wheels of the rack and everything slides in an out. one end goes into the patch panel and the other into the rack. Not shown here but its all covered up so it doesnt look so bad.

10. I added a temp activated fan controller for the 2intake and 2exhaust fans. here im wiring the screen through the doors

11. Here's some random photo of me busting walls in the living room which is about 2 rooms away from the media closet. I installed the 5.1 and rand all the cable.. kind of a pain in the ass but its worth it. I gotta say IR over Cat5 works superbly.

Its been about a month since I had this all installed. Few kinks to work out at first but overall not bad. The air is slightly less dry but nothing alarming.

Thats all for now.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where did you get the interal plate with the vent?
post #11 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I made it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page