Wall Mount Dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched and this is the closest forum that I can see to post in - apologies in advance.

I have a stud running up the center of my TV location which means I can put my wall mount on left/center or center/right. Once mounted to either of these locations, I'd have to slide my TV on the mount to the opposite side to center it - making probably 75% of the TV's weight focused on the center stud. The TV is a Samsung UN55D8000 which is 35 pounds w/o stand.

Since the TV is only 35 pounds, would this be acceptable? These mounts are meant to hold 200 pound TV's across two studs and mine is a fraction of that.

I know the alternative (without going in the wall) would be for a plank of wood to go across all three studs then mount so everything is centered but trying to avoid that if I could and the other solution is toggle bolts which I don't trust.

Thank you for your help!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 PM

I had a similar issue. The TV had to be in that spot for it to be center between the speakers etc. As you can see my studs (yellow lines) were off a little. The green lines is where the back of the brackets attaches to the wallplate. Remember these a lag bolts. The shear strength is high. One lag bolt would be enough to hold the TV. You have to compromise somehow and make it work.
LL
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 AM

I would get a accordian style mount that goes accross two studs.
I have this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 I payed only $36 for it.
I have my 46" mitsubishi LT-46144 which weighs about 73lbs on it and it works fairly well.

My Basement tomato soup theater 118.5" curved 16x9 screen jvc dla x3 projector

onyko ht-rc180. Platinum, audio pt-808 speakers, polk cs20 center psb i300's, polk fx300i's

15' audio source modfied sub with 240 watt amp.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I don't know if I should admit this in public or not, but I had this problem in my living room above the fireplace. I just put two lags in the stud in the center of the mount. And then put two drywall anchors on each end of the mount.

By my calculations, the two lags more than have the load supporting ability. The drywall anchors were just for fun, I guess.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I don't know if I should admit this in public or not, but I had this problem in my living room above the fireplace. I just put two lags in the stud in the center of the mount. And then put two drywall anchors on each end of the mount.

By my calculations, the two lags more than have the load supporting ability. The drywall anchors were just for fun, I guess.

Frankly the drywall anchors by themselves are probably enough. Folks tend to get their shorts all in a knot and go way overboard about TV mounts. And certainly a couple of lags, with outboard anchors to keep the mount from rotating is more than enough.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM

Center your mount on the middle stud. Drill out a third hole in the middle of the mount. Put 3 screws in center, a toggle on each side just for fun and you will be all set. I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Like it was said earlier, you could put one bolt in and it would stay up. Just make sure you pre drill the right size hole or your going to snap heads.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Frankly the drywall anchors by themselves are probably enough. Folks tend to get their shorts all in a knot and go way overboard about TV mounts. And certainly a couple of lags, with outboard anchors to keep the mount from rotating is more than enough.

Oh yeah. The lags support the weight, and the anchors are just to keep from rotating.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice guys!

With the confidence you guys gave me, I went ahead and put the mount on the left & center stud (two toggles in each) and slid the tv to the right so the TV is perfectly centered. Now that I see it resting up there with out issue, I think if I had to do it all over again I would of taken Hockey's suggestion and just rocked 3 toggle bolts in the middle (top, center, bottom) and called it a day.

The need for 2 studs and centering the TV is beyond overkill

Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiluven View Post

I appreciate the advice guys!

With the confidence you guys gave me, I went ahead and put the mount on the left & center stud (two toggles in each) and slid the tv to the right so the TV is perfectly centered. Now that I see it resting up there with out issue, I think if I had to do it all over again I would of taken Hockey's suggestion and just rocked 3 toggle bolts in the middle (top, center, bottom) and called it a day.

The need for 2 studs and centering the TV is beyond overkill

Thanks!

Funny enough though...My first TV I mounted (older, thicker) I was able to hit 3 studs (wide mount, old house with odd joists) and I put 6 bolts in just to be safe and I checked it every 5 minutes for the next 3 days..
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I bought a mount that uses 1 stud (Peerless).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page