Seeking advise, comments on basement build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have been thinking for a while on the best use of space and came up with a couple of options that I would like comments on based on your experience.
The goal of basement is to provide a mix of entertainment options for adults mostly, but for kids as well. Hoping that kids (boys 6, 11) would use gym, pool table in the future. Want to have
gym, sauna, bar, billiards, play room, bathroom with shower, wine cellar (small).
Plan A allows for a bigger gym. This also allows for slightly larger bathroom.
However with this plan wine storage is between sauna and furnace (surrounded by heat) which of course is a negative. Also pool table is together with the bar which is what I like, but my wife would prefer not to have together
Sealed off rooms are access rooms to utilities/water etc.
Plan B is missing a new furnace that would be installed to heat basement and which is placed in play room on Plan A.
Anything else that I need to think about? Any suggestions?
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 282
If you're going to play billiards, you want to make sure you have enough room width or you might have to go with a mini table and not one of regulation size. I don't think your room is wide enough for full stick control. I have the same problem in my basement.

One other thing I like about Plan A is that if you enclose your TV room and drop the pool table area in the back, you end up with a dedicated theater space where you can have full light control, better acoustics, space for proper speaker placement, good sound isolation, and more seating (tiered), and maybe even a bar counter in the back (if you have enough room length) for third row overflow.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Both rooms are about 13' wide after walls installed. I believe both should be wide enough for an 8' table and a 52" cue.
Possibly even 9' with 48" or even 52" cues.
Theater is not a consideration right now, but possibly would do as much as possible in preparation for one where the play room is.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I guess we all have our priorities.

There was a theater on here with a multipurpose floor plan and theater room like what you're considering that really looked classy and blended together well. If I could only remember the forum member's name!

They had a full bar and billiards off to the side and a small bar top and stools for the third row seating attached to the second row riser.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostia View Post

Both rooms are about 13' wide after walls installed. I believe both should be wide enough for an 8' table and a 52" cue.
Possibly even 9' with 48" or even 52" cues.
Theater is not a consideration right now, but possibly would do as much as possible in preparation for one where the play room is.

http://www.billiardfactory.com/plann...ing-guide.aspx

13'2" according to the chart for a 57" cue. 52" and you should be ok with an 8' table. I have a few places around my room that you can hit with the cue onto the furniture or the bar, but honestly, as long as it's not a major obstacle, like a post, normal folks aren't going to care... Now, if you're having league night, different story!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 17 Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Have been thinking about it for a while and wanted to get opinions on full blown bar vs just a wall unit I.e. without sitting area. This seems to create more open space and since there is a sitting area right there in front there is no overlap with bar stools couches etc. basically is seating area sufficient and more comfortable as well as cheaper solution. I guess that takes away from the bar feeling somewhat... Thoughts, opinions.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 12
Great looking designs.. personally I wouldn't want the bar and pool table as far apart as it is in plan B. Plan A makes the most sense, you just have to convince your wife a pool table and bar are like peanut butter and jelly.. ying and yang.. well, you get the picture.

As far as the "theater" idea, you could throw a flat screen on the near wall in front of the sectional and run a simple speaker set up that way you can have an open view from the bar and pool table area making for a great entertainment space..

Before frequenting the AVS forum, that is the exact type of space I wanted.. after seeing all the fantastic dedicated home theaters here - it will be a tough decision when the time comes.. I have a youngin myself (almost 4), so I understand the need for a play area. Just go with a flexible design for future "upgrades".. good luck.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My wife is now sold on plan A. Yes I am planning on a tv on the wall near sectional that can be viewed from all angles in that room.
I am not a big fan of full blown theater, but will pre-wire play room in case I would want to turn it into home theater in 5-6 years.
Still not sure what to do about the bar, a full blown bar or a walk-up style bar?
post #9 of 17 Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nice plans. I like all the options you are incorporating. If you insulate wine storage room properly and go with a slightly over sized A/C-Humidity control unit for it, the heat from surrounding spaces shouldn't be a factor. Are you contracting out or DIY? Either way I hope you post pics of the progress. Looks to be a good one. Oh, and if not already addressed, don't forget radon mitigation and backup sump system.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Plan A -as suggested. Great Build...
post #11 of 17 Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

And of course now, I need advise on equipment. Should I go with in wall or in ceiling option for the billiards/bar room, 4 or 6 speakers? Any recommendations on particular speakers?
post #12 of 17 Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

And of course now, I need advise on equipment. Should I go with in wall or in ceiling option for the billiards/bar room, 4 or 6 speakers? Any recommendations on particular speakers?

What is your budget?
post #13 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Not really sure, I would like it to look nice and sound nice. Given the size of the project I could be somewhat flexible, however I do not want to go overboard either. I would hope under 1K with wiring (this is for speakers and wiring only)? Probably would use Sonos for music control, although it seems that I could probably get a good receiver that would do the same thing especially by the time I am ready to install? Hope this makes sense. Not quite sure what to expect really.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really sure, I would like it to look nice and sound nice. Given the size of the project I could be somewhat flexible, however I do not want to go overboard either. I would hope under 1K with wiring (this is for speakers and wiring only)? Probably would use Sonos for music control, although it seems that I could probably get a good receiver that would do the same thing especially by the time I am ready to install? Hope this makes sense. Not quite sure what to expect really.

Sorry for the questions. Are you wiring and installing these speakers or are you hiring an installer? This will drastically affect the price and the speakers.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Makes sense... I will be hiring someone, probably whoever does the build/electrician will be doing this.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense... I will be hiring someone, probably whoever does the build/electrician will be doing this.

I would have him plan for in-ceiling if this is just for the bar/billiards area. It will most likely be easier and cheaper. It is hard to say 4 or 6 without seeing the space, but more usually seems to be better

These are on a good clearance:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...de-Each/1.html
post #17 of 17 Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Please let me know what you think about my wiring plans. I am thinking of placing AV equipment in the bar area, cabinets or possibly under the stairs.

AV room
receiver to serve gym and bar room
possibly a Sonos unit or a laptop with HDMI out

I would run
to Gym room (1 DLNA capable TV)
1 HDMI cables
1 CAT 5 to tv
planning on 4 speakers in the gym room so accordingly - 4 sets of wires

Bar/billiards room
1 HDMI cables (1 DLNA capable TV)
1 CAT 5 to tv
planning on6- 8 speakers in the bar room so accordingly - 6-8 sets of wires

would keep the play room completely separate and pre-wire it for potential theater at a later time with its own AV rack

How can output tv audio through the speakers? Basically the idea is to be able to watch stored on PC or Web content on tv. Ideally with sound through the speakers. Alternative is using XBox, PS3 or other device connected to receiver and all content going through receiver. Control of the unit is somewhat cumbersome from the gym room? Can anyone recommend a better solution that is cost effective for the purposes?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page