Will 3 out of 4 lag bolts secured to studs hold a wall mount with a 45 lb 40" LCD TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will 3 out of 4 lag bolts secured to studs hold a wall mount with a 45 lb 40" LCD TV? One of my four bolts snapped off in the wall while hanging my wall mount plate (lower right corner bolt of plate); the other three are solidly in the studs 16" apart. Realistically should this be a problem holding a 45 lb. LCD Samsung 40" TV? Here is the wall mount I'm using:

It's product # 8587 on Monoprice (I can't yet post the URL since this site won't let me).

I tried extracting the bolt from the wall with an extracting bit without luck. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Did you pre-drill the holes before driving the bolts in?

My worry would be if one bolt broke, could the others have also suffered some stress from being driven in without a big enough pilot hole.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Sebberry. Yes, I did pre-drill all four of the holes with a 5/32 (4mm) drill bit, which is the size Monoprice's instructions say to use for the M8x90 lag bolts they included. The instructions say to drill the holes 3" deep. I may have only gotten them a little over 2.75 inches deep due to my bits not being long enough, so I'm not sure how much of an impact that would have.

I tried drilling a new hole through the plate above the broken bolt's hole but I can barely put a dent in the steel. Is there a special drill bit recommended for drilling a holt through a steel plate?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildclay View Post

Thanks for the reply, Sebberry. Yes, I did pre-drill all four of the holes with a 5/32 (4mm) drill bit, which is the size Monoprice's instructions say to use for the M8x90 lag bolts they included. The instructions say to drill the holes 3" deep. I may have only gotten them a little over 2.75 inches deep due to my bits not being long enough, so I'm not sure how much of an impact that would have.

I tried drilling a new hole through the plate above the broken bolt's hole but I can barely put a dent in the steel. Is there a special drill bit recommended for drilling a holt through a steel plate?

I think 3 bolts should be fine.

But I snapped a bolt before and just redrilled a hole above it. You need a good metal bit (gold colored bits work for me) and use high speed if your drill has low and high.

I have a Ryobi 18volt cordless that went through the plate like butter. You should nor have that much trouble with the right bit.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, Hockeypuck25! Was the wall mount plate you drilled through a Monoprice mount? The steel on my mount (Monoprice product # 8587) is pretty tough, but I only have bits made for wood (and concrete, but that those slide right off the metal). I was barely able to put a dent in the plate after 10 minutes of high-speed drilling at it.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for extracting a M8x90 lag bolt from half an inch in the wall? I bought an extraction kit, but like the mount plate, the bolt's steel is too tough for me to drill a pilot hole into the center of the broken bolt. I'm hoping a good metal drill-bit set will also aid in this in addition to possibly trying to drill a new hole in the plate.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your input, Hockeypuck25! Was the wall mount plate you drilled through a Monoprice mount? The steel on my mount (Monoprice product # 8587) is pretty tough, but I only have bits made for wood (and concrete, but that those slide right off the metal). I was barely able to put a dent in the plate after 10 minutes of high-speed drilling at it.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for extracting a M8x90 lag bolt from half an inch in the wall? I bought an extraction kit, but like the mount plate, the bolt's steel is too tough for me to drill a pilot hole into the center of the broken bolt. I'm hoping a good metal drill-bit set will also aid in this in addition to possibly trying to drill a new hole in the plate.

Is the bolt snapped flush with the wall? Or is it sticking out slightly?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Foley_49, thanks for asking. The bolt is actually broken off about a quarter inch inside the wall, so neither flush nor sticking out. I can see the snapped end when I look in the hole.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If you snapped the bolt while putting it in, I would go to the hardware store and buy 3 new lag bolts and replace the existing 3, then hang the TV and enjoy.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, it was a monoprice mount for a 52" LCD. I just left the bolt in the wall because it was under the sheetrock. Dont waste your time. The bit I used came in a Ryobi drill kit like this one. The gold bit is what you need.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051

And it is not a case of bad bolts. I have snapped all kinds of bolts due to overtorquing. You really need to make sure you drill a good pilot hole first. There should be some resistance up until about the last few threads. If you are fighting it the entire way, you need to ream the hole a little more.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

If you snapped the bolt while putting it in, I would go to the hardware store and buy 3 new lag bolts and replace the existing 3, then hang the TV and enjoy.

That's a great idea. Can you move the mount a quarter inch up or down?

If you think 3 may be adequate, then hang on the mount - lift your feet up. Try to pull it down.

It's the Big Boy Test. Find an obese friend, if you're not up for the challenge.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 AM

Liked: 12
2 Bolts would have held a tv that size with a mount designed for a single stud.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM

I had a similar situation. Three lags held my 46" for 5 years till I took it down. I tested it by hanging on it. Lags into studs are very strong.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM

I always remember being told to use a soap bar to lubricate the threads of the lag bolt before driving it in, but a quick googling brings up worries about rust. Beeswax or vegetable oil is recommended.

Tom
post #14 of 14 Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

If you are fighting it the entire way, you need to ream the hole a little more.

That's what she said! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms