First time mounter! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-30-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm preparing to mount a TV in our family room, and have all the hardware.

I've never done this before, so I'm trying to prep as best I can. I looked for the studs today, and their size doesn't match the research I've found online. First, they're roughly 14" apart - and the distance varies. In addition, they're two different sizes. The two in the middle seem to be about an inch wide, and the outside two studs are roughly 2 inches wide.

|2"|-------14"-------|1"|-------15"-------|1"|-------14"-------|2"|

Is this ok? Can I still mount using those 1" studs?

Thanks all. As you can tell, I've never done this before. I want to make sure that when I get this tv up, it doesn't tear itself out of the wall. I'm hanging a 65VT30.

-JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My older house has oddly placed studs. they should be 2x4 though so 1 1/2" thick.

How big of a tv? If you can hit 2 studs and get 2 lag bolts into each stud you will be fine unless it's a huge tv.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Did they *measure* 1 inch wide? Because a 2x4 is 1.5" wide. Not sure you can really buy a board exactly 1" wide.

But don't worry about the odd spacings. Most mounts can account for this. The mounting bracket has slots so you can put the screws in anywhere behind it.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take a small nail and start at the middle of the board. Keep hamering and pulling it until you miss the board. That way you can find the exact size. It should be 1 1/2" though.

You should be able to get the plate across all 3 studs. With 2 bolts in each stud, you should be fine.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Did they *measure* 1 inch wide? Because a 2x4 is 1.5" wide. Not sure you can really buy a board exactly 1" wide.

But don't worry about the odd spacings. Most mounts can account for this. The mounting bracket has slots so you can put the screws in anywhere behind it.

They must be 2x4's, because the stud finder had them a little over an inch wide. Our house was built in 1947, so I wasn't sure if there were different size studs back then!

The TV is 65", about 125 lbs. I just want to make sure I get it right the first time and don't have the thing come crashing down in the middle of the night (or in the event of an earthquake, I live in California).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Take a small nail and start at the middle of the board. Keep hamering and pulling it until you miss the board. That way you can find the exact size. It should be 1 1/2" though.

You should be able to get the plate across all 3 studs. With 2 bolts in each stud, you should be fine.

I would have never thought to try this - thanks for the tip!

-JR
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page