Mount 47" LCD in Cutout Above Fireplace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while but I'm hoping y'all can help me come up with some creative solutions. My house is one of those houses that was built with a big cutout above the fireplace for a CRT TV. It currently houses what I believe to be a 32" widescreen CRT (see picture). I already own a 47" (LG 47LD520) LCD that I'd like to use in place of the CRT. Obviously the LCD is not going to fit inside the cutout but it is about the right size to cover the hole pretty well. My question is, how should I go about mounting the TV?

I'd like the AV equipment hidden behind the TV. This will include an XBOX 360, a DISH receiver, and possibly a PS3. I'd obviously need to be able to access the disc slots on the XBOX and PS3.

I know some will say that I shouldn't have a TV above the fireplace but I don't really have a choice. I don't want to put the TV on another wall because I still need a place for the AV equipment and snaking wires is going to be a nightmare on the ground floor of a two-story house on a slab.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM

just buy a swing arm mount that pulls out, and float it high enough to house your equipment underneath.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I'll second the recommendation above. Use an articulating mount that attaches to the back wall of the cubby, and has a long enough arm extension that the TV can float out to the front of the cubby. Just have your equipment behind the TV (and you physically angle the screen to access the equipment) or float the screen 3-4 inches higher and have the equipment sitting side-by-side underneath it, so you have ready access to the front of the boxes.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'd have concerns the the studs in the back of the cutout wouldn't be strong enough to hold a large display on a greatly extended articulating mount.

I would probably pull out the drywall in the back, and add more studs that I knew were secure.

But, I'm more paranoid about a display falling than most people. The majority of people probably wouldn't consider this, and just hang it. And it would probably be just fine.

And, I'd pay someone else to fix the drywall after.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page