Acoustiblok On Ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to get a quick opinion about my home that's currently under construction. We decided to add Acoustiblok to the ceiling above our main tv viewing room as it's directly below one of my kid's rooms. Will be using 7 In Ceiling Klipsch speakers. I just sent this same photo to my contractor as I expected the Acoustiblok barrier to be between the speakers and the upstairs floor. Looks like after they cut out the speakers there will be space behind them, and the whole purpose of the Acoustiblok is lost.

(Not interested in the debate over in-wall vs. in-ceiling speaker setups. I have a complete in-ceiling setup in my existing home theater and love it.)

Thanks
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaurvick View Post

Looks like after they cut out the speakers there will be space behind them, and the whole purpose of the Acoustiblok is lost.

Looks that way, absolutely.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Looks that way, absolutely.

What would you suggest from here Ted?
post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If we were starting from scratch, I would have suggested a much different approach than to use MLV. However you're at where you're at, so I might suggest looking at massive backer boxes such as seen here, but more massive: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...lation-web.pdf

Was it your goal to now apply a single layer of drywall?

Ted

post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If we were starting from scratch, I would have suggested a much different approach than to use MLV. However you're at where you're at, so I might suggest looking at massive backer boxes such as seen here, but more massive: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...lation-web.pdf

Was it your goal to now apply a single layer of drywall?

Yes, That is/was the plan. I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I am aware that sound will bleed up if the speakers have open backs. There is space (about 3 feet) above the ceiling before the upstairs subfloor starts. Trying to manage this project from a distance has been a challenge.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure. Given that your planned mass will not be decoupled, consider adding as much mass as possible at this point. Standrd 5/8" drywall is maybe 2.4 pounds per square foot, while the MLV is only 1 pound. I'd consider adding two sheets, really.

Then you can secure backer boxes to the back of the drywall with minimal contact to your joists. You'll likely need to secure these boxes to your joists with a special clip / bracket due to the speaker weight.

This would significantly increase the mass of your ceiling, which right now you really need, and extend that massive envelope up and around your speakers.

You may want to consider the speaker performance when boxed in like this. The mfg would be a good source for this

Ted

post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Can you return the speakers and go with in-wall (vs in-ceiling) speakers that have engineered enclosures for at least the mains? You can also find in-ceiling speakers with engineered backer boxes.

As Ted said, you will need to talk with Klipsch if you are building your own boxes as you need to build them to a specific volume for best sound. Too large or small a box would be bad and you also need to build the box properly and ensure it is sealed. I would also use lots of insulation in the ceiling.

I am using these for my surrounds:
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...id=UIW_RCS_III

Coupled with R-19 insulation I really do not hear anything on the main level above, but these speakers are just surround speakers, not main channel that will have more bass.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The insulation is good, but never great. In other words, if you have an open stud or joist cavity, we surely want to insulate them. However when we consider the 4 elements of soundproofing: Decoupling, Absorption, Mass and Damping, the insulation (absorption) brings the least to the party. Counter-intuitive, for sure.

Ted

post #9 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

The insulation is good, but never great. In other words, if you have an open stud or joist cavity, we surely want to insulate them. However when we consider the 4 elements of soundproofing: Decoupling, Absorption, Mass and Damping, the insulation (absorption) brings the least to the party. Counter-intuitive, for sure.

Ted, no argument from me but insulation is cheap and easy (for the most part).

I am lucky as all the bedrooms in my house are two floors above my media room and even when I crank my system, you really cannot hear much at all in the kids rooms and most of that is drowned out with white noise that we use in the kids rooms.

If their bedrooms were directly above my media room I would have been writing you a check

I helped a buddy decpouple, green glue, and double drywall a small media room (sent him to your site) years ago and I understand first hand the benefits of the above. I was amazed at the difference.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Groovy. Again, if we can insulate, we certainly want to.

Ted

post #11 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

My contractor told me this afternoon that he'd build backer boxes for all my speakers and layer with the Acoustiblok material and then seal any gaps with their acoustical tape. I think that's the best outcome that I can get at this point. I'll reach out to Klipsch to see if they have any advice on the dimensions. Thanks for the help.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Not the best outcome. The MLV you're using has insufficient mass. Other than a bit of mass, it offers nothing. Drywall is 2.4 X heavier. I would strongly suggest you build the boxes from heavy plywood and drywall.

You want the mass. Sealing tape is similarly unnecessary. Use a sealant in a tube.

Ted

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page