Noob Help - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > Noob Help

General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

kagisan94's Avatar kagisan94
09:02 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 8
04-21-2012 | Posts: 5
Greetings,

I am a total newbie to in-house stuff. I have just bought a home with built-in JVC speakers. There are two in-wall ports for the set-up. I am not sure which of them, or both work or not.

I have an old Sony 5.1 receiver that I have hooked up to each, but I can't get sound out anywhere. I am wondering if there is a better way to test the speakers. Maybe the receiver is just not pushing enough juice to get through.

I am including a pic of the wall port. They are identical.

Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.
LL
Techphil's Avatar Techphil
09:41 AM Liked: 11
post #2 of 8
04-21-2012 | Posts: 175
those dont look like speaker jacks. the top looks like rca's for a video signal and the bottom looks like a f connector for cable of sattelite signal. you need to open them and see whats in there.
09:59 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 8
Techphil,

I know. The previous owner left a switch box that has the standard pinch clamp input for speaker wire L/R, then it has pinch clamp out lines that terminate in male fittings for these inputs. These were labeled by the previous owner as "house speaker input"

Thanks! for the response. What would you do next in investigation?

kagisan
macfan's Avatar macfan
10:12 AM Liked: 29
post #4 of 8
04-21-2012 | Posts: 232
I can't get a good look at the jacks in the picture as it is not clear. Those kind of look like two sets of composite jacks to me. Best thing to do is take the plate over the top set of jacks off and see if anything looks like speaker wire to you. If you find anything that looks like speaker wire you can take an ordinary flashlight battery across the two leads and you should get a popping or scratchy sound through the speaker it is connected too.

Just had another thought. Any chance the previous owner had a security camera hooked up to his TV and those are the jacks for that? You really need to take that top plate off and see what kind of cable is connected to those jacks.
Techphil's Avatar Techphil
10:16 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 8
04-21-2012 | Posts: 175
I know. The previous owner left a switch box that has the standard pinch clamp input for speaker wire L/R, then it has pinch clamp out lines that terminate in male fittings for these inputs. These were labeled by the previous owner as "house speaker input"

Can you post a picture of this box.
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 8
Here are pics of the wiring behind the plate, and the front and back of the switch box.

It looks like speaker wire to me, but I know nothing about video wiring.
LL
LL
LL
macfan's Avatar macfan
05:23 PM Liked: 29
post #7 of 8
04-21-2012 | Posts: 232
It is definitely speaker wiring on the jacks in the plate. Try the flashlight battery trick across the two leeds for any one wire to see what speaker it is connected to. Have you checked behind the speaker grills to see if the speakers are still actually there? Could be the former owner took the speakers with him and that is why you are not getting any sound.

Still thinking about this and then seeing that switch box, I wonder if there are any speakers actually there. It could be the former owner had his receiver outputs hooked to the jacks in that plate and then he selected moveable speakers from that switch box. In which case the speakers are probably long gone. You need to find where the other end of those wires on the jacks goes to.
08:24 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 8
04-22-2012 | Posts: 5
Thanks for the battery tip. What a great trick. I got noise from and identified each speaker in the house. Now if I could just get my receiver to push them.

Next step is a wireless way to stream from my pc to the receiver.

Thanks again for the help! You guys are great!

kagisan
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Subscribe to this Thread