Recessed TV mount question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched the threads but haven't found an answer to this question. I will be building new walls in a room and as long as I can save some space I want to recess my TV to get it flush or at least closer to the wall. When I build the recessed "window" how much bigger than the TV does it need to be so I can get the TV onto the mount.

As this is built from scratch the recess will be at what I consider best viewing height but I will use a tilting mount just for some safety margin. I need to build the wall long before I get a TV so if any "rules of thumb" exist I would appreciate it.

Thanks all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Two inches all around is ideal. Done it with one but is quite the pain in the deriere
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pick you tv and bracket now because you want to plan the depth of the box as well. You want the face of the tv to be flush with the non recessed wall for the best asthetic look .
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks 2 inch border it is. I had a tv picked out, but I will buy the bracket early as well.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Next house I buy, THAT's what I wanna do, please take some b4r and after pixs OK so we all can learn.

Am thinking you will want a mount that will let you pull the TV out a good 6" minimum for ez access to cables, either a scissor or "V" arm mount and those are thicker than your non-pull-able mounts. Find the mount, it should have the measurement for fully retracted and fully extended. If u use these mounts you can have very narrow slits all-around since u can now pull the TV straight out, EXCEPT you gotta think ventilation.

Am thinking a tilted TV will ruin the built-in look(?) - if u going for aesthetic, personally I will compromise to "look up" the TV 3-5 degree from below(?).