Subwoofer set up question prewired - HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off I would just like to state this my first post and first time setting up a HT so I am a bit uninformed.

With that being said, I recently purchased a home with pre wired surround sound.

I have installed my speakers, including the center, and everything is sounding great from the receiver. The problem is with my subwoofer.

The builder used RG-6 cables, which are black and have a steel braid just inside the outer coating. I purchased a definitive subwoofer and am going to run them with the LFE setting. Noticing that I need to have the ends connected, I made the mistake of trusting the guy at Radio Shack. Here is what I was told to purchase:

Twist on TV coax F connector
Adapter for RCA (phono) male to f-connector (coax) female.

We stripped the wires and have the copper exposed and placed into the connectors. Unfortunately I cannot produce any sound from the subwoofer.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I apologize if I am missing details. Please ask any questions and I will respond to them with my lacking knowledge of this system. Thank you all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Nothing wrong with what the Radio Shack guy recommended as far as I can tell, should work fine. Do you have volt-ohm-meter (VOM) that you can test with? If so, test that you're getting a proper signal from the LFE out on the receiver, and then do the same at the RCA terminated end of the subwoofer cable.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Brad,

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I do not have a VOM. Is it worth running down to home depot and picking one up or can I get around this?

Could it be that I have inserted the wires into the f connectors wrong?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspencer40 View Post

Brad,

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I do not have a VOM. Is it worth running down to home depot and picking one up or can I get around this?

Could it be that I have inserted the wires into the f connectors wrong?

I think i can help but i need to see pics of what is going on. I terminated all of my own cables so with a little help we should get u up and running.

Regards,

RTROSE

Adding to the above, if you don't have a meter you can always do the poor mans cable check. To test my RCA connections I hooked up dvd player to one end and a small 19" LCD TV to the other to make sure I had a signal and there are not any signal issues. Make sure that your AVR has the sub output turned on, you can find this in the settings. Some AVR's default your sub output to "off" or "none". On your cables make sure that you do not have any of the shielding/strands touching the copper conductor that can cause a short or other signal problems. Those strands are really small and can be easily overlooked. If you lived close I could solve your issue by making a connection/cable for you in less than five minutes. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Good luck!

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of what im working with...

went to home depot and bought a stripper and crimper tool with some extra crimpers just in case that is a better to go.

Also, I am planning on running four in ceiling speakers, a center and the sub. My receiver has slots for front right and left, center, surround right and left, and surround back right and left (biamp). Obviously center goes in center and backs go for back surround but where do I want to plug the front speakers into?

Thanks for all of the help everyone!
LL
LL
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good news... I got the subwoofer to work after some time. Thank you for all of the help.

One question still remains:
Do I want to plug my front two in ceiling speakers into the front speaker terminals for the receiver? I currently have them plugged into the surround right/left, with the back two plugged into the surround back right/left. I am attempting to use the automatic configuring that the receiver includes but it is stating that I have to have speakers plugged into those front speaker terminals.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I'm pretty sure you'll need to restart your sub connection. When you first cut off the plastic outer covering, there is a layer of loosely stranded shielding. You need to fold that back over the outer covering and cut it so that none will stick out beyond the connector. THEN put your connector on over the tightly braided covering in your picture. It should all be shown in the directions. BTW - What type of connection is on the other end of that cable? You'll need to do both ends.

And, are you using those front ceiling speakers as your fronts with no other front speakers (bookshelf or floor standers)? Then yes, they need to be plugged in to the front terminals on the receiver. You don't say what make/model your receiver is, but it sounds like it has the newer height outputs in addition to side and rear surrounds.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page