Uh oh. No Power to Components in Rack - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
D53

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I came home this evening I discovered that none of the components in my rack, except for the Monster Power Center, are receiving electricity. On the power conditioner, the “Ground OK” and “Protection On” lights are lit as well as the voltage display which is fluctuating between 128 and 129. Also, the "Clean Power On" light is not lit as it normally is.

I hit the breaker button on it to reset, but pressing it made no difference. Besides, the “Breaker Open” light was never lit. I have turned off and on the main on/off switch to the Power Center several times but it has made no difference. Also, the unswitched convenience electrical outlets on the front of the pwer center work fine (I plugged in a cell phone charger and it is clearly receiving power and working properly).

I was able to turn on my hdtv using its remote control but it is not receiving a cable signal. Not surprising since the DVR has no power.

As an aside, I had to have Comcast resend a signal to my modem to restore access to the Internet this evening The Comcast cable is connected to the DVR box which is in the rack (it doesn't have any power either). I have not yet opened the rack to investigate any further. Is it merely coincidence that I had to have Comcast resend a signal to my modem or does this suggest some kind of (damaging) power surge to my rack?

Any ideas as to what is wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Um, your line voltage is high (128V vs. ~115-120V) - the Power Center is doing it's job and shutting down everything because of that... Take a voltmeter measurement at that outlet and another place or two in the house to make sure.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
D53

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely take a voltmeter and check out some outlets.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
D53

I called the electrict utility and they came out and did something (?). At leat they are monitoring the voltage. Whether it was because of something they did or not, the voltage returned to normal levels and my Monster Power Center is now properly passing electricity to the rack components.

However, since my home theater system began working again, I've noticed a couple of troubling issues from my Sony STRDA5300ES receiver (at least, I'm assuming the problems are associated with the receiver). First, the video output no longer fits the tv screen. I've tried all of the screen adjustments (Full, Normal, Zoom, and Wide Zoom) available with the tv (a Sony XBR4) but none of them seem to correctly display the video image (Zoom comes the closest but it is cutting of the edges of the video stream. Making the minor adjustments offered in the tv menu - normal, -1 and -2 doesn't solve it). I've also looked at the DVR, but I can't see any adjustments to be made other than resolution, which is set at 1080i (which is what it was before the power surge).

More troubling is that the receiver doesn't seem to switch between video sources, although audio sources are properly switching. For example, I switch to computer input and the computer screen will not display on the tv screen. However, the computer audio is piped through the surround-sound speakers.

Is it possible that I could have inadvertently changed some settings or are these signs of something wrong with the receiver, possibly due to a power surge?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I'm guessing all of your setup was lost in the receiver during the outage. Reset to factory and have a new go with it.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
D53

Thanks for the reply, lespurgeon. That's my guess as well. I'll look at reconfiguring it this weekend.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page