Retrofitting existing room for HT, choice of 2 rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS folk.

I have 2 less than perfect rooms to choose between in retrofitting for a better HT room. Sketch of rooms here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...41250442_n.jpg

One is a converted garage, total size about 16'x20' with a bathroom taking up 6'x9' in one corner. There is currently a wall splitting it off center, with the bathroom & small room on the south and the north is a single room of about 16'x11'. There is a wide sliding glass door making up most of the west wall of that room, but no other windows. Vaulted ceiling (peak runs E/W, 7' at north wall up to 10' at south wall of room). Floor is slate over concrete pad. Pics at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=6799f41446

The other choice is the back room of the main house, about 18'x15'. West wall is interior with 2 inner doors, sliding glass door on the north wall and a small window on the north side of the east wall. Vaulted ceiling (peak runs E/W, 8' at north & south walls, 11-12' in center), plaster over the roof beams. Floor is hardwood over OSB/2x4 frame over concrete foundation. Pix to come.

I plan to retrofit with a second layer of sheetrock & green glue in whichever room I decide to use. Both cases, I have a tricky ceiling situation, and a sliding glass door to deal with (acoustic quilts or MLV curtains over the back wall/sliding glass door?). Floors, I can only deal with via throw rugs.

The main goal is to reduce echo inside and lower the amount of sound that passes inside/outside. I understand this is not an ideal situation but trying to make improvements. I have a current 46" Samsung UN46ES6500, Denon AVR-5803 and Energy 7.1 speaker system that I will use, adding an Emotiva UMC1 (or selling the 5803 and replacing with a current AVR w/hdmi) and eventually switching to a projector & screen.

Anyone with ideas or advice how to choose which room to use and how to go about treating it?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page