Component placement above fireplace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've attached a picture of the living room in the home my wife and I just bought. I'm planning on mounting the plasma above the fireplace as shown with a tilt mount to angle it down a little.

I'd like to have a super clean look, the only other thing I'd like on the mantle would be a soundbar mounted just under the TV. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get wiring from components to the TV. The components I'll have will be the cable box, Blu-ray and Xbox360. It's an outside wall so there is insulation in there. The room has 20" ceilings, so no access to an attic and the basement below is finished with dry-walled ceilings. Any suggestions?

P.S. The in-wall speakers on either side of the TV are part of the previous owner's Bose-Link system. Unfortunately the entire bose link system is tied into a service room in the basement. According to the previous owner it wasn't built for home theater but for whole home audio. So I'm really not sure what to do with those speakers...

Thanks in advance for your time and any help.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
First, I would try living with that TV up there for a month before doing anything. The TV is way too high for comfortable viewing, especially given that couch placement. It will likely cause neck and eye strain.

The columns on either side of the fireplace are most likely hollow and would provide the best option for running wires. You could either place a box on either side and pass an HDMI cable through, or simply run it down into the basement. I would use an HDMI switch near the components so that you only run a single cable up to the TV. It will be cleaner and easier to hide. You can purchase HDMI cables in various colors from monoprice.com, so you can match your walls. If the TV spans the entire width of the alcove, it should end up giving a clean look.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Agreed that the TV is too high, but if you insist.....

You say want the components on the mantle. IF it was ME, I would build a little shelf the same length and 1" less than the width of the mantle. Two sides (maybe 6" tall), a top and and a back. Paint the ENTIRE shelf to match the wall color of the alcove. Then drill a couple of holes in the back of the shelf and run your cables up to the TV. That would hide those wires. I'd use a power strip and then run that single power cord behind the shelf and get it as close to one of the sides of the mantle as you can to run down to the baseboard, hide it behind the baseboard over to the outlet and then up to plug in to the outlet.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys, couple of options I hadn't thought of. I will be living with the TV where it is for awhile. I know it seems high, but really there isn't anywhere else in the room it would work...for the wife. I do like the option of running one HDMI cable up to the tv and running everything through a switch or receiver off to the side. I will post back on what I end up doing, thanks again for the advice.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleland500 View Post

...for the wife

The second I saw this thread, I immediately went, is the Ball&Chain.

What a drag those women!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #6 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ha ha, yes that does limit the options I have at my disposal. However, the basement I'll tackle later this summer and it's a great blank slate for a projector set up with hidden components. I get to have my way for that area
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Can I mount a soundbar above the TV? Angled to the listening area?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to go with the TVee Model 30. Sounds excellent, I was able to scoot both couches back a couple more feet and the living room really feels right now.

I fabbed up a small bracket for the TVee 30, it extends off of the tilt bracket I bought so the TV and soundbar tilt as one unit. Thanks for your help guys.
LL
post #9 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Looks good. I am probably the biggest proponent of above the fireplace TV's around. I think they look good and add a certain form and function quality.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it works for now. The wife is thinking of painting the copper/orange colored section behind the TV. If/when she does, I'll need to reroute some cables. One of the HDMIs is loose.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page