Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I bought a new house recently, and here is the living room:

I am thinking of getting a 42" TV and mounting it on the wall to the right of the fireplace. Putting it on the fireplace I feel would be too high.

That being said, all media components will be in a closet that is not seen in this picture. The only problem I see is...what do I put under the TV? Just having a bare wall is going to be awful, but with all components out of the way, what goes there? Should I scratch the closet idea and just get an entertainment center or something?

Thanks for your advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by be2slow View Post

Hello!

I bought a new house recently, and here is the living room:

I am thinking of getting a 42" TV and mounting it on the wall to the right of the fireplace. Putting it on the fireplace I feel would be too high.

That being said, all media components will be in a closet that is not seen in this picture. The only problem I see is...what do I put under the TV? Just having a bare wall is going to be awful, but with all components out of the way, what goes there? Should I scratch the closet idea and just get an entertainment center or something?

Thanks for your advise!

Good question. IMHO, I would not add an entertainment center due to what everyone does peer pressure. I have a couple ideas that you may or may not like. If you plan on entertaining and it looks like you do not have a lot of room for seating, how about a putting a row of saw 4 small cube ottomans along the wall. It will essentially look like a bench during the day and can be placed all over during a party. See example below.

http://www.ottomans.com/ottomans/squ...nchocolate.cfm

You could also add floating wall shelving around the TV to take some of the focus away from it.

Another thought would be to get a long sofa table or low wide bookshelf for under the TV.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00117024/
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM

What he said^^^

Definately wouldn't mount above the fireplace. It's a trend. But is not ideal or even an appropriate viewing position.

You could always put a stand/shelf with pictures, knick knacks, decor, etc underneath the tv.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
42" seems too small. What will your seating distance be?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 AM

Liked: 12
If you're thinking anything >42" will be too large, you shouldn't worry about it. You'll get accustomed to any size screen. You'll want something bigger for sure once you've been viewing a 42" for a while.

Also, I use 2 of these bolted together with 2 sets of legs on them. It turned out very nice!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60134049/
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hows about putting the TV to the left of the FP? Directly across from the windows? Besides the obvious window glare and neighbors prying eyes, which a curtain would take care of both.

For the record I love TV's on fireplace's and don't think your room would lend itself very well to that.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 78
A row of 12" deep upper cabinets (on a pedestal) from the fireplace to the wall, painted to match the fireplace trim, might work.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the great ideas!

Scout's staff, I like the idea of the ottomans below to add extra seating for when TV is not in use, but not sure how well that would actually look. May have to toy around w/ that idea.

If I put a long bookshelf or sofa table underneath, then does it still make sense to put the video/audio equipment in the media closet? For that matter, if there is a bookshelf/sofa table like suggested, why mount the TV on the wall instead of putting on the surface below?

I don't want to put the TV on the left of the fireplace simply because it is an open floor plan and you wouldn't be able to see the TV from the kitchen there.