My New Home Theater... piece by piece. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm putting together a home theater room, but am budgeting myself to roughly $1000/month until I am satisfied with a completed project... room aesthetics and seating/etc comes first along with the front speakers. Once the room is complete, then comes the other 5 speakers, receiver, subwoofer, projector, screen, then a celebratory cigar.

Goal: To create a comfortable and relaxing room for guests to enjoy themselves in. When the AV Equipment is off, It should still be a comfortable room for 6 or so people hang out in.

The more and more thought I put into it though, it slowly is turning towards a dedicated HT which I'm somewhat trying to avoid.

Opting for a bar/counter behind the front seats for people to sit & eat/drink/whatever..
Still need to figure out something for a corner bar/hutch for drinks, ice maker, etc.

I'd like to comfortably sit 5 to 6 people in the front/main row. I'd like to be able to find a curved leather couch that can accomplish this as I don't like the idea of individual chairs/seats (although it was all I could find in SketchUp's 3D warehouse).

I also need to figure out where the small Equipment rack is going.

The room is:
16' x 17'6"
8' side walls, with a 10' peak in center

I'm currently using a Mitsubishi 72" TV which will be the very last thing to replace and move to a projector.

Equipment:
Projector: Unknown
Screen: 133" (roughly), possibly SMX if I decide to go all out, otherwise a Monoprice fixed 16:9
Receiver: Denon 3312CI (Denon fanboy, and I'd like preouts in case I ever get the itch to pick up some amps)
Subwoofer: Unknown (maybe SVS-something)
Speakers: 7.1 (see below)

I've had my heart set on a Klipsch RF package for a long time:
RF-62II x2
RC-62II
RS-52II x4

For a room this size, would it be beneficial to spend a little extra and get the RF-82II's? I don't want to spend over double for the center channel to upgrade to the RC-64II at a ridiculous price and don't like the idea of having gigantic booming 8" woofers for mains, then as the sound sweeps the soundstage, it tries to project from the smaller RC-62II woofers... I can't imagine it would be as seamless as going 62II all across..

Secondly, should I consider the RS-62II's? I'd assume because of the close proximity to the seating and being on surround duty, that the RS-52II's would be just fine.

Anyways, I'll update as I progress, ordering 250' 12AWG speaker wire from monoprice tonight and the two mains as well if I can decide between the 62's & 82's.

As always, comments, criticism, ideas, and answers are very welcome and much appreciated!

Note: I spent about an hour throwing together this SketchUp model, and it's in rough shape but should give you an idea of what I'm kinda aiming for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 13
Very nice set up and similar to mine speaker wise. While yoru room is larger over all, mine is longer but narrower, I have the RF-82II with the RC-62II and they go well together. I know they used to be matched to the RC-64II but according to Klipsch's site they are matched wot the RC-62II's now.

The RS-52II's, which I use as sides, work just fine with the 82II's. I have two RF-52II's that used to be fronts but I use as rears now and there is a difference to give you an idea. Those are the only ones that don't match but since they're rears, it's not that noticeable, and to me I don't really notice the difference.

I would suggest checking them out yourself if you can. My thought is that if you're buying something, get what you really want (within a reasonable level) so that you don't waste money upgrading later.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

The door way opening directly into your left channel speaker concerns me. That's an accident waiting to happen. The speaker probably costs more than the door.

Overall I think you have a great layout and efficient use of the room. However, I'll go ahead and throw this idea out there for you to think about. All depends how much work you want to do.

Why not convert the double door into a single standard door way keeping the LEFT door (looking at it from inside the room). Then build a false wall in front, use an AT screen, and place your LCRs and sub behind it? You could also put your equipment rack 'in the wall'. Building materials are cheap, this is really a question of if you like the idea and have the time to do it.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

When the AV Equipment is off, It should still be a comfortable room for 6 or so people hang out in.

What exactly is it that you would plan to do in there when the AV equipment is off? All of the seating faces the screen. It wouldn't be conducive to conversation. All of your renderings are of a dedicated room which you say you want avoid. How often do you really think you'll have 6 people in there? You just want to be sure that you've really thought through your expectations for the room.

I have an open-concept room and thought by using 4 individual chairs in the theater I could separate them and turn them in to make U-shape seating area that would be more conducive to conversation when not watching the screen. After getting my chairs in there, they are a bother to move so I'm now planning to leave them and congregate in the bar area when not watching.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

Very nice set up and similar to mine speaker wise. While yoru room is larger over all, mine is longer but narrower, I have the RF-82II with the RC-62II and they go well together. I know they used to be matched to the RC-64II but according to Klipsch's site they are matched wot the RC-62II's now.

The RS-52II's, which I use as sides, work just fine with the 82II's. I have two RF-52II's that used to be fronts but I use as rears now and there is a difference to give you an idea. Those are the only ones that don't match but since they're rears, it's not that noticeable, and to me I don't really notice the difference.

I would suggest checking them out yourself if you can. My thought is that if you're buying something, get what you really want (within a reasonable level) so that you don't waste money upgrading later.

Good to know! I'll think it over, I may end up going with the 62's to start, and after all speakers have been purchased (will be bought in pairs), if I want to go to the RF82's I'll use the 62's in my bedroom which I was already thinking about.

What receiver are you using in your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post

The door way opening directly into your left channel speaker concerns me. That's an accident waiting to happen. The speaker probably costs more than the door.

Overall I think you have a great layout and efficient use of the room. However, I'll go ahead and throw this idea out there for you to think about. All depends how much work you want to do.

Why not convert the double door into a single standard door way keeping the LEFT door (looking at it from inside the room). Then build a false wall in front, use an AT screen, and place your LCRs and sub behind it? You could also put your equipment rack 'in the wall'. Building materials are cheap, this is really a question of if you like the idea and have the time to do it.

The original plans have always been to incorporate a false wall, but the door placement has shot it down. Haven't really thought about turning it into a single door... hmm... I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

What exactly is it that you would plan to do in there when the AV equipment is off? All of the seating faces the screen. It wouldn't be conducive to conversation. All of your renderings are of a dedicated room which you say you want avoid. How often do you really think you'll have 6 people in there? You just want to be sure that you've really thought through your expectations for the room.

I have an open-concept room and thought by using 4 individual chairs in the theater I could separate them and turn them in to make U-shape seating area that would be more conducive to conversation when not watching the screen. After getting my chairs in there, they are a bother to move so I'm now planning to leave them and congregate in the bar area when not watching.

I'll explain this soon, starting to get busy at work and I need to stop procrastinating!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Liked: 20
I see a bar area but no Kegerator?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It sounds like you have great plan and know what you want to accomplish. Hopefully you auditioned Klipsch speakers. I aways thought I wanted "bright" speakers and wanted Klipsch speakers from the start. However, after listening to many different speakers I settled on Definitive Technology. If you have auditioned them already and know what you want, then you should be good to go and know exactly what you want. Otherwise, go audition them first as there is a HT speaker system out there made for everyone.
As Tom mentioned, if you are sitting in the HT seating area, you really aren't there to converse while watching a movie/TV with only a few people over to watch a show. But when having a big party or 25+ people it's just a different atmosphere. I'll have the HT system on and folks are conversing in the HT chairs and moving around from the bar area. I guess it depends on how much you plan to entertain. At least that has been my experience in a dedicated basement/open floor plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by --DANNY-- View Post

Good to know! I'll think it over, I may end up going with the 62's to start, and after all speakers have been purchased (will be bought in pairs), if I want to go to the RF82's I'll use the 62's in my bedroom which I was already thinking about.

What receiver are you using in your setup?

That can always work. Each person's hearing is different so trying before purchasing would be the best way. I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR608 with my system currently. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done nicely

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Good luck
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page