Arlington Recessed Low Voltage - anyone has experience with this product? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This - http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-LVU4.../dp/B003FMVQHG.

Looking for a recessed box for keystone jacks (RJ45, RG6, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Yep, used a variety of the Arlington TV box and recessed outlets in my house. They work well. But it's jut a recessed box, you use whatever keystone plates you like. I went with Leviton gear because it's good and readily available if I need more...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep, used a variety of the Arlington TV box and recessed outlets in my house. They work well. But it's jut a recessed box, you use whatever keystone plates you like. I went with Leviton gear because it's good and readily available if I need more...

Jeff

Thanks! Yes, I know it's just the box, and that was my next question - so basically I can fit in any keystone plate to it?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Yep it's just a standard box, anything will work. If you use the TV box varieties, the low volt bays have open backs which will give you more space to work with...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep it's just a standard box, anything will work. If you use the TV box varieties, the low volt bays have open backs which will give you more space to work with...

Jeff

And is it wide enough inside to allow for a cover/decora plate on top of the inserts? Do I need special/specific decora plates?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
That 4 gang Decora plate comes with it.

Installing that 4 gang Arlington box today, in my workshop, but not the Romex, just the LV.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If just for LV, don't use that box; it's for LV and line voltage.

Use LV rings - cheaper and easier. Arlington is good, but HD and Lowes have other brands (Carlon in my area).

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electri...ket-48533.html

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

For recessed low voltage, Arlington has a different line of brackets, as jautor said, with the open backs.

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_591.html

Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

For recessed low voltage, Arlington has a different line of brackets, as jautor said, with the open backs.

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_591.html

Yes, I was looking at these and pretty much made a decision on what I need (mind you - I already have the HD kind installed, but these are flush with the drywall and I need the recessed one).

However - I don't think that my Monoprice CAT6 Keystones http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback will fit the Leviton Insert http://www.smarthome.com/85516W/Levi...e-White/p.aspx, so I'm kind'a lost now. I want to use inserts as oppose to straight forward keystone wall plate:
1. To have more flexibility
2. The largest Keystone wall plate I see is 12 holes, I want 18 (for 3-gang boxes, for future expansion).

Couldn't find similar inserts other than Leviton and the vertical space between the two rows look way too small for the wider Monoprice keystone.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You could consider 2 boxes, one above the other.

You might check out a recessed, flush mount low voltage enclosure, with a door. Patched cables from inside the enclosure would pass through a knockout into the wall cavity above or below the enclosure, and extend out of the wall through a scoop pass-through.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Why recessed?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:

Why recessed?

Because every inch counts and my room is not that big. I am afraid that with a standard box, all the plugs (CAT6, RG6, speakers) will "push" my TV stand far from the wall. Other than loosing some space, I am not sure I would like how it looks, with a huge gap between the wall and the stand.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If hidden behind a TV or cabinet, here is a recessed 8 gang box, with room for stuff like a small cable box and power bricks.

http://www.intuitiveusa.com/html/wall_boxes.php

I think a recessed flush mount low voltage 14" enclosure would work well. Again, if you wanted to use it with a cover, put a cable passthrough in the drywall below it.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:

If hidden behind a TV or cabinet, here is a recessed 8 gang box, with room for stuff like a small cable box and power bricks.

http://www.intuitiveusa.com/html/wall_boxes.php

I think a recessed flush mount low voltage 14" enclosure would work well. Again, if you wanted to use it with a cover, put a cable passthrough in the drywall below it.

Thanks, but it is too big for my application. I won't have my TV hung on the wall, it will be on a large/long TV stand (which I don't have yet, but something that can accommodate 60-70") and I want to have two 3-gang boxes behind the stand - one for speaker plate (could be a 2-gang as well), and the other one for keystone inserts (I have RG6, CAT6, RJ12). I can use 2 gang for that, but since my walls are open I want to put a 3-gang for future expansion if needed.
The location of the boxes is low...I want it to be hidden behind the stand, so I am afraid that if I use standard/flush boxes, all the wires plugged to it will force a big gap between the wires/walls and the stand. So recessed is the solution. I found boxes that fit and that I like, BUT - now I can't find the hardware (keystone inserts, plates, etc) that will fit. Kind'a catch 22. I got CAT6 keystones jacks from monoprice, but I think that they are too wide for a standard 6 hole insert like this one. I could also use a standard keystone wall plate, but the largest I can find is a 12 hole for 2-gang, it seems like there is no 18 hole for 3-gang.
So I don't know...I am kind'a lost at where to buy good/matching parts at good prices. Any suggestion on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The recessed flush mount 14" LV enclosure let's you put anything you want behind your TV cabinet.

Many manufacturers, here is one from Leviton.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...BE&appName=IBE

Leviton, and others, offer snap in patch panels - some using keystones.

It would be installed between 2 studs, flush to the drywall. Variety of cover options include hinged and screw on. Cables enter and exit the enclosure behind the drywall. The cables then pass through the drywall, below the enclosure, through a reverse scoop cable pass through.

http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalog...ll-plate-ivory

Old 05-12-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Thanks Neurorad. I think I am all set with this box and another one for the speaker plate, same model but 2-gang.
Now I just need to find matching inserts/plates, probably these ones.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you skip Decora, and use single 6-keystone plates (or multigang), you may get a fine fit. Those Decora holes are really close together.

I've gone with Leviton, for all my keystone plates; easy to return at HD. I've used a variety of keystone inserts, but only 1 so far with Decora (2 inserts). All the inserts I've used have fit fine with Leviton plates, but I haven't tried Monoprice's inserts.

I don't know for sure if any cat6 keystones will fit into a 6 gang Decora bracket, but there is a real easy way to find out, with a trip to HD or Lowes.