Finishing Basement and Adding Projector Set-Up Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys my family is planning on doing a home theater setup of sorts. Were finishing our basement and would like to use a projector since the room has no windows so when the lights are out its pitch black. There are a few issues and questions that we would greatly appreciate if you guys could help us figure out.
We don't want to have the projector hang from the ceiling as that would be costly installation and we doing what to have to run a bunch of wires through the walls. For this reason, were thinking of putting the projector directly behind a couch that is centered in the room, and elevate the projector up a few feet so people can sit in front of it without blocking the projection.
We've herd of paint that you can apply to a wall in place of getting a projection screen. Does this exist? If so how good is it? Could someone provide me with a name or link? Would you recommend the paint or a more typical screen?
We're dedicating a whole wall to the picture. The wall is roughly 10x10 (feet of course). It's a little bigger but I don't have exact figures. What characteristics should I be looking for in a projector? I don't want a dvd player and it should perform well but that's all I really know. Is there a guide or something I can look at? Recommendations?
What should I do about sound? With the projector being behind where people sit I think it would be weird to have sound only coming behind you. We doing want the run wires all over the place so is there a wireless approach to putting a pair of speakers at the front of the room?
Now onto cable. We currently have Comcast and would like to be able to watch regular tv on the projector as well. The only issue Is that that cable wire input place (idk the terminology) is at the very front of the room where we would like to have the screen. I know I can always run a long wire around the room to where the cable box and projector would be, but is there another way to do it? We have already finished our walls so putting in another input location is pretty much out of the question. Wireless alternative?
Thanks for all the help and taking the time to read this. Feel free to post any constructive criticism and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lots of questions, obsticles here. I did a diy painted screen using a mixture of Behr "Silver Screen" and Pearl Escent paint that is no longer available. There is a very good diy screen thread on avs, check it out. I am very happy with my screen and it saved me a ton of $. My screen is 16x9 108". There are so many choices of projectors, it would help to know what your budget is for your projector and other equipment. (speakers, receiver etc.) Like it or not, some wiring is going to have to be done. I don't know of any solution to running wireless from your cable output to the box itself. There are wireless speakers out there but the choices are VERY limited. Here is a link to what I did in my basement. Good luck....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1193082

post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is your ceiling drywall as well?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page