Project + digital box sound issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked everywhere and for quite a while for a solution to my problem but I couldn't find anything so hopefully somebody here can help.

I have the following setup:
- Sharp projector XV-15000
- Sony AV receiver STR-DN1010
- PVR box Scientific Atlanta 8300.

All my devices, including the PS3 and the XBOX are connected to the AV receiver through HDMI input ports and the receiver to the projector through the HDMI out port using a 25ft HDMI cable.

Everything works fine, except that when I watch TV and change from a HD channel to a standard definition channel and vice-versa, I lose the sound. The solution is to either unplug the projector or to change through the remote, from one input to another and back but this is really annoying.

This doesn't happen when I change from an HD channel to an HD channel or from a standard to a standard. Also I didn't have this problem when I used to output the video to a Sharp HDTV. However, before the Sharp projector I had an Epson 8345 and I noticed the same behaviour.

My guess is it's the HDMI cable to blame, although I tried a couple of them with no luck. If it's indeed the cable, which one would be a good one, at a decent price? If it's not the cable, what could be the problem?

Any help on this is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
It's not the HDMI cable.

This sounds like an issue with either the receiver or the set-top box's ability to handle changes from DD5.1 to PCM codecs over HDMI. When your cable box goes from an HD channel (sound is DD2.0 or DD5.1) to an SD (2-channel PCM), one of them is getting confused. Unplugging the HDMI cable and re-plugging it is forcing the renegotiation, so it fixes the problem.

Check your set-top box's audio / HDMI settings to see if it's sending "bitstream" or "PCM" or "Dolby Digital". Change those around to see what happens. Hard to say who's at fault here (I'd put my bet on the set-top box, though).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks jautor.

That was the only thing I didn't think of. I thought it might be the receiver, or the cable or even the projector some how causing this, as I didn't have any problems when connected to the TV.

I did a quick search and I found this: highdefforum.com/cable-providers/62745-scientific-atlanta-explorer-8300-hd-twc-hdmi-audio-issues.html, even if it's from 4 years ago, with someone experiencing similar symptoms.

I'm not sure there's much I can do about this, as from what I remember the only audio setting on the box was to switch from HDMI to Dolby Digital. I'll try to play with the settings anyway, on the receiver as well.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If your receiver can accept a digital audio signal mapped to an HDMI input, that would be a solution. Or just run digital audio only, and run HDMI from the set-top directly to the display.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

It would be more complicated this way, as I would have to have two separate HDMI cables of 25ft across the room and I don't want that.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMk76 View Post

It would be more complicated this way, as I would have to have two separate HDMI cables of 25ft across the room and I don't want that.

Understood, but it would work...

post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Understood, but it would work...

I wasn't arguing with that.

Anyway, thanks. It seems you were the only one who came up with some solutions.

I'm unable to test it at this moment, as my basement is in renovation, but should be able soon and I'll post the results.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

The solution to my problem was very simple. Looking through the setting of the receiver, I noticed that the HDMI audio output was set to "TV+Amp". Once I switched it to "Amp" only, the problem went away.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMk76 View Post

The solution to my problem was very simple. Looking through the setting of the receiver, I noticed that the HDMI audio output was set to "TV+Amp". Once I switched it to "Amp" only, the problem went away.

There ya go! Glad it was something that could be changed instead of a "real" bug that you'd spend way too much time trying to get resolved...

Jeff

post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.

Yeah, all the time I thought it might be a hardware problem, while I never thought of actually looking at the receiver settings. Didn't think there is something there that would help.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page