Mounting a projector on an exposed duct - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all,

I have one of those way cool (or not) loft style apartments with exposed duct work all over the place and high ceilings. It turns out, a really good place to mount a projector would be from one of the ducts. It gives me a 15.5' throw distance and removes the need to have a really long extension arm hanging down from the ceiling which I think would look ugly.

I've tested the strength of the duct and it seems like it will be able to hold the weight of the projector plus whatever mounting gear I need. The question is, does anyone have advice about how I can go about mounting it to the duct? Or any concerns?

I'm not at home right now otherwise I'd throw up a pic, but it's basically a round duct about 10-12 inches or so in diameter. With my limited handyman knowledge, I was thinking about mounting the projector to a piece of wood and somehow strapping the wood around the duct with rubber or bungie. I have no idea how this would work and am completely open to suggestions!

-Phin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have thought about this too but I think the problem you are going to run into is that the duct is going to be expanding and contracting depending on the heat or A/C you are pushing through it. I think it would be next to impossible to keep your projector aligned. It may not be an everyday thing but I still think it would occur. Mine is a basement theater and I have not mounted my projector yet. As I am building/working I have been noticing that my first floor and joists have a slight movement in them. This concerns me too as I don't know what is solid enough that I could mount into and keep my projector aligned.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I never thought about that. Stupid laws of physics!

I still think it's worth trying, particularly if I can do it cheaply and somewhat easily. If falling out of alignment gets to be a problem, I can always do the long ceiling mount as a backup plan. I wonder if using a rigid pipe tightener around the area I would wrap the cord around would help.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't think it's a good idea. There is going to be vibration when the A/C and heat kick on and off, and when running, and this may damage the bulb. This could be a costly experiment.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Damn, you guys and your crazy common sense...

Guess I'll have to consider dropping from the ceiling. Though my projector has good vertical lens shift, I have to have it hang pretty low because of a hanging light fixture that will get in the way. Can anyone recommend a good ceiling mount with a long extension? I think we're talking a good 3-4 feet.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Chief makes a good anti-vibration kit, but it'll look hella-ugly in your sweet exposed ceiling loft. I agree with finding another mounting solution.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #7 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM

I hate to see a good idea go to waste. Hell, half my ideas are bad ideas but I atleast try them and usually learn some stuff along the way.

Give it a try with some cheap materials. I would build some sort od u-shape that wraps around the duct and then mount the projector to that. It's probably not the best idea but it may work just fine for you.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
large hose clamps are your friend

underachiever extraordinaire
post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM

I have mounted a projector to ductwork before for a very temporary set-up (graduation party) using hose clamps and it worked well. I would certainly try it again for a longer term set up, vibration is a real concern though. I wonder if weather stripping around your hose clamps could help with that.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
As an installer I would never do that. it is not a solid mount but hte solution is simple just run a nice piece of metal or wood under the duct, it can touch it supported to the celing on eithor side.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #11 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How are the ducts hung? Presumably threaded rod down from the ceiling? I'd do the same thing for the projector. Hang a platform down from the ceiling with it's rods positioned just wide of the ducts (not touching, and not close enough to have expansion be an issue). There's probably some steel channel being used to support the ducts, that same sort of channel could be used for the PJ platform mount.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Also keep in mind to not mount near any opening in the ductwork. Heat coming from the vent could trigger the overheat switch in the projector. I had that happen with a vent in the ceiling and had to relocate the projector.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page