Custom Cabinet/Speaker Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I've been a long time lurker and I'm lucky enough to finally have a project that I need help with. I am doing a small remodel on my living room entertainment center and I was hoping you could guide me in some kind of direction. The list of current electronics is:

Video
Mitsubishi 73835
DirecTV HR22
AppleTv
XBOX 360
Nintendo Wii

Audio
Onkyo TX-SR608
AV123 X-CS Center
Infinity Overture 2 Left/Right

The space used to look like this (sorry for the small size)

After finding a lot of booby traps of electrical it now looks like this:

The inspiration for the design started with my friend's living room:
and I found another design that I may merge with the one above:

A few of my questions are:

1) How do I keep the Onkyo from burning up
2) Finding speakers to fit in the cabinet
3) Possibly fitting a subwoofer in the entertainment center and any issues that might have on its effect

One of my ideas is to keep the Infinity's and use them on top of the cabinet. Another is fitting some Bookshelf speakers in the cabinet and the last wild idea is to go with some on wall speakers. Below are some different concepts I threw together. I really appreciate your opinions even knowing what they're worth biggrin.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
1) How do I keep the Onkyo from burning up

Many people run receivers in cabinets with no issues. I do it myself in my non-dedicated theater room and simply open the cabinet doors to let some air in. That said, you may want to consider some of these options:
http://www.coolerguys.com/
Quote:
2) Finding speakers to fit in the cabinet

Couple things to keep in mind. I would buy sealed speakers that do not have rear ports. Try to get the tweeters on the speakers near ear level if possible. Something like this:
http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series/sbs-02

You are obviously more limited in selection and sound quality with putting speakers in a cabinet.
Quote:
3) Possibly fitting a subwoofer in the entertainment center and any issues that might have on its effect

I would avoid this if possible. Putting a subwoofer in a cabinet may really limit your choice and sound quality. You can always try it and see, but I would try and avoid it.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
i have a space similiar to your as all my components hade to fit in a 6 ft wde cubby originally design for a older style big screen under my stairs.

the speakers under the tv IMO don't work, best if you can get the cc as high under or as low above as possible.

the fronts work best withe the tweeter at ear level so if you can elevate them to the height do so.

i noticed in the pics you left the mantle looking pop out, maybe you could trim the side in the alcove for some more space.

in my research i found out that i needed 56 inches for a 60 inch lcd so i was limited to 8 inch wide mains, something to consider

as to the sub, if you handy enough to build a entertainment unit, you could probably build a better endtable sub than you could buy a regular sub for, and have more space in the cubby for storage

as to heat i run a yamaha and it has never(knock on wood) had a problem with being in the cubby and the shelves might only allow it half a inch clearance.

just some thought to consider, good luck and i hope you post pics:D

sorry i dint notice you posted measurements is that 7-5 the overall and the tv is 5-5? because most brand of speakers that im aware of are under a ft wide and that looks like the best way to go, just build a cabinet under the tv alone and stands doe the speakers to get them to the right height

post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My $.02. I would try to have the L-R speakers at screen heighth and the C as high as possible. Maybe putting the C on top.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page