TV wall mount with stud in the centerline - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to mount my 61 pound, 60 inch Sony Bravia LED TV on the wall, and require an articulating mount with swivel capabilities. However, one of the studs is right in the centerline where I want the TV to be. I believe my options include:
- use a mount with a wide as possible wall plate (I found a Cheetah mount with 26" wide wall plate), which allows me to best distribute the load across the 2 studs. Although the mount can extend the TV up to 20" from the wall, I believe I should be ok as the TV is only 61 pounds.
- install a 3/4" plywood board across 3 studs, then screw the mount into the plywood with toggle bolts. If using this method, do the toggle bolts go through the plywood & drywall, and hug the back of the drywall? I was thinking to instead use a thin aluminum plate instead of plywood to be less conspicuous. Then to bolt the mount to the aluminum plate, I would tap threaded holes (thick enough for at least 3 threads to engage), or put a nut on the back side (and cut away drywall where the nut goes), or use toggle bolts that go all the way into the drywall.

I guess I'm just looking for having something robust with plenty of safety margin. I'm leaning towards the former, as 61 pounds really doesn't seem to be a big deal for a mount that is slightly off center.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen toggle bolts that say they can carry a 300 lbs load on just drywall. I think they measure that weight vertically (perpendicular to the bolt) so you'd have a difference force when the mount is extended 20" and trying to pull away from the top bolts, but the point is toggle bolts can be really strong.

If you don't mind patching you could consider removing the drywall between the 3 studs, nailing or screwing 2x4s horizontally between the studs, patching the drywall, then bolting the mount anywhere you like through the new wood. It would look very clean when it's done.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page