EndersShadow New setup v 2.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Well we moved a while back and I got new stuff, so I figured I would show you the "new setup" . Here's the updated HT setup equipment list and some pics:

**Please note pictures may not be accurate as to actual equipment and placement as I dont updated them as frequently as I used to**

**Carver M1.0t added 7/8**

Equipment List:
TV: Panasonic 60" ST30 Plasma
Receiver/Pre-amp: Integra DTR 5.9
Amplifier: Carver AV-705x, Carver M1.0t
Fronts: Polk LSi 15's modded with a db840 sub (crossover upgrade next)
Center: Polk LSi C
Surrounds: Polk LSi F/X (wall mounted)
Sub: Polk PSW125 (being replaced eventually and moved to the office)
Misc Gear: Xbox 360, Samsung BP-1600 blu ray player, Uverse DVR, Pioneer laserdisc player
Equipment not pictured: Sega Genesis (see note #1), Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64

Speaker Cables:

Left, Right & Center: Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired with bananas on both ends
Surround Left, Surround Right: Monoprice 14 gauge with Monster Quick Connect banana's on the amp end and quickflex connectors on the speaker end

Interconnects:

Left & Right: 1.5m Kimber Kable Hero
Center: .5m Kimber Kable Hero
Surround Left, Surround Right: 1m Emotiva X series (soon to be replaced by .5m Kimber Kable Heros)

Note #1: Item given to me by fellow forum member RobLee for free. Thanks Rob!

**pics updated 12/10/12 to fix broken links**

And here are the finished pics, including the LSi F/X's being mounted. Please note the white conduit that is on the TV wall has been painted the same color as the wall, just wasnt done in those pics.

Here are some pics of the cable management in the rack. I managed to keep ALL the power, HDMI, IC's and Speaker wire totally separate. Took a bunch of doing, but its done for a LONG LONG LONG TIME.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

**edited 8/17**
pics of office setup added

Here is the rig as it stands:

Daily Drivers:

Sources:
  • CD/SACD/DVD-A Player: Denon 3910
  • Laserdisc Player: Pioneer LD-S1
  • FLAC: Custom Computer
  • Turntable: Technics SL-B3
  • Phono-pre: Harman Kardon Citation Eleven
Pre-amp:
  • Sunfire TGA-II
Amp:
  • Parasound HCA-700ii
Cables:
  • Denon 3910: 1m Audioquest G-Snakes
  • Laserdisc: Rat Shack - (looking to upgrade)
  • Computer: Black Cat Digital Cable
  • Turntable: stock
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven: 4m Audioquest Sidewinder

Here is what is currently in each shelf from Top to Bottom:

Units
  • Technics SL-B3
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven Pre-amp
  • Fisher 460t tube amp
  • Carver M1.0t
  • Yamaha R-300
  • Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-D504

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3 of 22 Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Cool a new thread! Looks good my friend, looks really good. I'm diggin the cable management for sure, nicely done. That is something that I need to do to my media rack, but I just have not had the gumption to do it yet. eek.gif Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Cool a new thread! Looks good my friend, looks really good. I'm diggin the cable management for sure, nicely done. That is something that I need to do to my media rack, but I just have not had the gumption to do it yet. eek.gif Looking forward to seeing some more pics.
Regards,
RTROSE

Just wait till I get the vintage game console section bulit. Plan on a roll away 4 tall 2 wide rack to fill with the older gen consoles like Xbox, sega genesis, super nintendo, Nintendo, etc. They will be connected to a switch my harmony one remote can control and when in use get rolled into the middle of the room and connected to the front inputs of the Integra. When not in use it will double as a endtable on the far side if the chair and a half smile.gif

My Setup

Quote:

post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since the pics in the first post were taken I have broken down and re-built my rack 2 additional times. I will post some updated pics later, but basically here are the upgrades I have completed:

Main System

1. Sold all MIT EXp1 Interconnects
2. Sold all MIT EXp2 Speaker Cables
3. Purchased 1 6 ft pair of Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired speaker cables with banana's on both ends
4. Purchased 1.5m set of Kimber Kable Hero interconnects
5. Purchased .5m set of Kimber Kable Hero interconnects

Here are the upgrades still in the works and hope to be completed by Christmas:

1. Purchase single 4 foot Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired speaker cable with banana's on both ends (completes front stage upgrade)
2. Purchase individual .5m Kimber Kable Hero (completes 5 channel interconnect upgrade)
3. Get Carver M1.0t amp back from repair shop and connect to LSi 15's

These are my tenative upgrades that may or may not happen in the next year:

1. Purchase 1.5m set of Kimber Kable PB&J's for Laserdisc player
2. Purchase Parasound zPhono phono pre-amp
3. Purchase Oppo 93 or 103
4. Purchase Onkyo TX-NR809
5. Purchase 3 1m Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables for all source units
6. Purchase 1 2.5m Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable for reciever to TV connection
7. Send Carver AV-705x in for checkup and repair of broken THX level knobs and bent speaker binding posts.
8. Purchase Darbee Darblet HDMI enhancer

The upgrades I have in mind for my office are below:

1. Purchase vintage Harman Kardon Eleven pre-amplifier with walnut case
2. Purchase vintage Harman Kardon Twelve amplifier with walnut case
3. Purchase 1 pair of .5 custom made interconnects from Douglas Connection
4. Purchase 1 pair of speaker cables from Douglas Connection (type unknown)
5. Purchase USB DAC for computer (model unknown but possibilities include Keces 131, Audio GD NFB-3.32, HRT Media Streamer+, Musiland Monitor 03)
6. Purchase .5m Audioquest Carbon USB cable
7. Purchase 1m custom made interconnects from Douglas Connection
8. Purchase LSi 7’s

The upgrades for my portable Work setup (computer + USB headphone amp) that should be completed by Christmas include:

1. Purchase new headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 limited edition)
2. Purchase a .5m Audioquest Carbon, WireWorld Starlight or WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable
3. Purchase 7 or 9" USB touchscreen monitor

My Setup

Quote:

post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Waaaaaaaait a minute.... is that a pink xbox controller????
post #7 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Waaaaaaaait a minute.... is that a pink xbox controller????

Yup, its my wifes tongue.gif. In order to get her to let me play Halo more I bought her an account and then got her a Pink Xbox 360 controller and pink wireless headset. It worked for a bit till I started to get my rank to what it should be in Halo (ended up as a Mythic when Halo 4 came out) and she couldnt compete with the other players when playing mutliplayer.

I actually need to buy myself a new controller as all the ones I normally use are no longer responsive enough cause I use them too much. Thinking one of the Halo 4 models.

My Setup

Quote:

post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Well played... well played....

Yup. It also helped that my entire family (brother, sister, brother in law, uncle, father) all play. My sister, brother-in-law, wife and myself played through Halo Reach on co-op together and that way quite fun.

My dad is getting his own Xbox 360 4 gig system with wireless controller for christmas from my mom along with Halo 4 from my sister and I. I also found my mom a good enough deal on the console that my mom was able to buy him a standard headset along with a 32 gig USB drive to store everything on (since the 4 gig system just isnt enough to really play Xbox on).

My Setup

Quote:

post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should also note for folks that stumble across this thread that if you are looking at buying Kimber Kable products make sure you either buy from an authorized local dealer or one of the two online dealers (NeedleDoctor and AudioAdvisor). Due to the way Kimber Kable products look (specifically their speaker cables and interconnects) there are apparently a lot of fakes out there so be wary. I purchase the Kimber Kable Hero interconnects from a person on another forum and he thankfully was willing to send me a copy of his invoice from AudioAdvisor to show they were indeed legit. That and I got a really really good deal on them (60% of their retail cost) that was too good to pass up, otherwise I was going to get their PB&J interconnects.

After talking to a bunch of people around I was told the Hero's are better but that the PB&J's are still a very good value and you could go from Hero's to PB&J and retain 80% of the quality.

Another tip from someone who has spent waayyyy to much time re-orgainizing their rack, put your best components as close to your reciever as possible so that when you upgrade your cables you can get really high quality cables that are short, rather than mediocre ones that are longer. I find anything over 1m and it starts to get really cost prohibitive to get high quality HDMI and RCA interconnect cables.

I specifically put the laserdisc player as far away as possible as I dont use it as often so lower quality cables are fine with me, and put the Xbox 360, Uverse, and blu-ray player as close as I could. Its also why I moved the Carver amp to directly below the Integra.

My Setup

Quote:

post #11 of 22 Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So like most of us, I am a member on multiple audio websites. One of those sites was running a RIDICULUOUS Karma, a FREE TUBE AMP. The amp was originally housed in a 1962 Custom Electra V Console. It is a Fisher 460A EL84/7247 amp. It was totally re-wired and better tubes were added to it. The amp was donated by one member and rebuilt by another.

To make a long story short, after a very unique Karma picking method on New Years day, I was the EXTREMELY LUCKY WINNER!

So I have started getting my learn on about tubes and am STOKED that this baby will be mine. It wont run low ohm loads so no LSis. I will probably stick to running it on 8 ohm loads but am looking forward to playing around with tubes.

So I thought I would share some pics with you guys. The only sucky thing is that I am out of town all this week for work so I won?t get to play with it till this weekend at the earliest?.

These pics are from the awesome guy who did all the work on it.

This last one is a nude pic so keep the kiddies eyes away :wink:

My Setup

Quote:

post #12 of 22 Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So we gonna have us a baby soon!

So here are the pics of the latest project, the Nursery!!

My Setup

Quote:

post #13 of 22 Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got the Polk RTA 11TL's and got em hooked up this evening. Had to leave suddenly but the few mins I got with em was HEAVENLY.

Looking forward to as much time as I can get with em.

My setup right now is all digital. I am using XBMC as my Media Player to send out the FLAC files via ASIO to the Audio GD NFB-5 via USB. The Audio GD has a variable output that I am using to connect to the tube amp. The interconnects are Audioquest G-Snakes. Nothing special with the speaker wires, just Monoprice 14 gauge for right now.

All the IC's and SC's will be upgraded later when I have extra cash.

The Nerd Collection

My Setup

Quote:

post #14 of 22 Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I love older console setups. I typically use MAME to recreate the experience, I know, it's not the same, but I just need wireless control.....

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #15 of 22 Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Introducing.... the Next Generation

Skye Meredith Pedersen. Born 2/4/2013 @ 7:45. Weight: 7 lbs 10 oz. Length 19 3/4 inches.

Both Mom and baby are doing fine.

My Setup

Quote:

post #16 of 22 Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey my friend, let me be the first to say congrats. Kids are the best DIY project ever! Only drawback is you have to wait a long time to see how it all turns out. LOL As a father to two boys 14 and 17 take it from me they grow up so fast. Glad to hear that baby and momma are doing well. Get lots of sleep now, as you won't be getting much the next few days, weeks, months, years.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Congrats!
post #18 of 22 Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So what do you do on your 30th birthday... You re-organize your setup for the last time.

This setup is the most compromised setup in regards to speaker cable runs so I will be making some of my own DIY cables using Audioquest FLX 14/4 wire paired down to 11 gauge for each binding post. Still unsure what IC's I will be going with, Douglas Connection or Kimber Kable PB&J's. Either way the longest IC run is actually from the Harman Kardon Citation 11 pre-amp to my Sunfire TGP-II and I will be going with Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's or the Audioquest Sidewinders on sale (14 footers).

Here is the gear actually connected:

Sources:
Denon 3910 via RCA
Computer via Meridian Explorer (3.5mm to dual RCA)
TT via Harman Kardon Citation 11

Pre-amp: Sunfire TGP-II

Amp: NAD 2600 (on loan from IndyHawg)
Fisher 460t tube amp (in need of repair)
Carver M1.0t (in need of repair and going in the main HT when working)

Speakers: Polk RTA 11TL's (stock) with Meniscus Audio spikes

Speaker Wires: Partially Oxidized Monoprice
Speaker IC's: Radio Shack till replaced

I will get better pics when I get some time, these were just shot quick so I can get to bed..

My Setup

Quote:

post #19 of 22 Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Late to the party, following old thread but I guess I missed this one, but congrats on the baby they are the best.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my wife was out with her friends on Friday leaving me home with Skye. I had just gotten in some cables from DouglasConnection to demo, specifically his 9 gauge cables and 2 sets of jumpers. I also have 2 sets of interconnects coming in from him so I can have a full setup of his cables. I will be reviewing these for him over the course of a couple weeks and putting them against my Kimber Kable Hero IC's and Kimber 8VS internally bi-wired speaker cables in my downstairs setup.

To start with though I decided this was the best time to just sit and really re-organize my setup in the office as I was using just cheap Monoprice speaker wire. I had a entertainment center with 2 shelves I wasnt really utilizing right and a equipment rack that I just couldnt seem to find a way to incorporate right with the rest of my gear. So I went to work and from the hours of 10:30 - 1 got everything moved around. I managed to bring all my gear out and have it in the room, even if its not plugged in.

I also managed to re-work things so that I can actually get a decent set of speaker cables in there and not need a 15 foot cable for one speaker and a 6 foot for another one. This means for this setup once Dougs cables move along to the next guy to demo I can hopefully re-use some of the Audioquest FLX 14/4 speaker wire I have already instead of the horrible Monoprice stuff I had been using.

So here is my setup now as it stands. I think this will be where I leave things for at least 6 months :biggrin:. Its the most optimized setup for me. All units are as close together as possible allowing for the shortest runs of IC's and SC's which means less cost and easier to keep cables run properly. I still want a powerconditioner like a Panamax unit to go underneath my Parasound, but for now everythings through a powerstrip. I also hope to upgrade all the powercables as well. I am looking at Cullen Cable, Douglas Connection, Pepster cables (if he is still making them), Audioquest or Kimber. I will wait till I get my conditioner though.

Daily Drivers:

Sources:
Pre-amp:
  • Sunfire TGA-II
Amp:
  • Parasound HCA-700ii
Speakers:
  • Polk RTA 11TL's

Cables:
  • Computer: Black Cat Digital Cable - THANKS PHIL!
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven: 4m Audioquest Sidewinder - thanks to whoever pointed out this deal on the forum

Now you may ask.... what happened to that pretty equipment rack you had Dan..... Well here is your answer, it became my SHOW PIECE/VINTAGE GEAR RACK!!!. This is where I keep my vintage looking pieces, both in use (Turntable, HK) and those units not in rotation right now for whatever reason. It lets me keep them out to show off even when not in use. It needs some more gear in it though, hopefully a nice Marantz integrated, and some good Kenwood and Onkyo pieces too....

Units
  • Technics SL-B3
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven Pre-amp - this unit is actually being utilized for my turntable above it. I can use the EQ switches on the face of the unit (which I like) and its pre-outs to go to the Sunfire
  • Fisher 460t tube amp - needs to be looked at, once fully functional it will sit on top my Parasound to switch between the two for those long demo days
  • Carver M1.0t
  • Yamaha R-300 - my dads original unit that I hope to get refurbed and working to give back to him as a gift. I also hope to replace the cheap case (vinly on pressboard) with a nice custom wood made case

My Setup

Quote:

post #21 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

**edited 8/17**
pics of office setup added

Daily Drivers:

Sources:
Pre-amp:
  • Sunfire TGA-II
Amp:
  • Parasound HCA-700ii
Cables:
  • Computer: Black Cat Digital Cable
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven: 4m Audioquest Sidewinder

Units
  • Technics SL-B3
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven Pre-amp
  • Fisher 460t tube amp
  • Carver M1.0t
  • Yamaha R-300

Are those Polk Audio (from their good years) RTA11t speakers I see in your photographs? I have owned a pair of those since 1987. I now have Aerial Acoustics for my mains, and, use the Polks for my side channel speakers. Those Polks compete well against many speakers I have auditioned that cost much, much more money.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Are those Polk Audio (from their good years) RTA11t speakers I see in your photographs? I have owned a pair of those since 1987. I now have Aerial Acoustics for my mains, and, use the Polks for my side channel speakers. Those Polks compete well against many speakers I have auditioned that cost much, much more money.

They are indeed althought they are the "TL's" which stands for "Tri-Laminate" refering to the tweeters used in them. Similar to the T's but some differences on the crossovers. I paid 150 for them which is a steal. I plan to upgrade the crossovers, replace the SL300's with RDO 194's and some other mods to em

My Setup

Quote:

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page