Impedance matching volume control vs. selector when adding new room to one-zone surround amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a bedroom surround system with a simple, one-zone 5.1 A/V receiver. I'd like to add speakers to the bathroom to output the front R/L channels, adding a volume control in that room as well. All the speakers are 8 Ohm, as is the amp's output.

I know I can do this by connecting the speakers in parallel with an impedance matching volume control on the bathroom speakers and another volume control for the front R/L, but it seems a bit odd to put a volume control for the bedroom's surround set, which I'd have to mount in a box and would sit there untouched.

I could get an impedance-matching speaker selector, as well as the volume control, but this also seems redundant.

I could leave the surround speakers as-is, and set the impedance for the bathroom speakers super-high (4x?), but wouldn't that leave them pretty quiet?

I could put a couple of big 8 Ohm power resistors in series with the front pair in the bedroom, and set the impedance matching volume control to 2x, but somehow I don't think that would work...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
If the speakers are all 8 ohm, the two pairs in parallel will present 4 ohm impedance to the amp. Most AVRs will accept a 4 ohm load (check your model), so just hook them both up.

Now, you can add a volume control in the bathroom to "bring down" the volume level compared to the bedroom. This could work - as long as its ok that the bathroom can only be as loud as the bedroom...

You will also likely need to adjust the levels for the mains, as the power will be split between them and the bathroom.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your reply. Looks like the amp can go as low as 6 ohm, so I'm not sure about pushing it to 4; I could set the bathroom speakers to 32 ohm using the 4x multiplier (yielding 6.4 Ohm), but I'm not sure that would yield reasonable volume in the bathroom.

As for the volume levels, it would be nice to be able to adjust the bathroom speakers to be "louder" than the ones in the bedroom, especially since they're a different model speaker and may be more or less efficient.

Does that leave me with having an impedance-matching volume control set to some level and epoxied in a box next to the AVR, or are there better options?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
A simple 2-channel stereo receiver off of eBay / craigslist to dedicate to the bathroom zone, and run the sources in parallel to both... Has lots of advantages, including the ability to have just the bathroom on and listening to a different source.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page