Shootout:Home Theatre Equipment Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Guys,

I am making a house with a fairly mediaum size 15'6" X 23' foot dedicated Media Room with no Windows and one Door. I need help selecting my home theatre equipment.

My Budget for all the equipment can rise to as much as 10 thousand dollar. However, being a Value Shopper and not an audio/video phile. I despise to buy equipment where price increase is dispropotionate to increase in quality. Furthermore, I love deep discounts(Don't we all). So would be looking for equipment with justifiable prices and sales.

So here is your chance to prove your AV prowess and hence the subject "shootout".

My requirements:
3d is a must to add the wow factor to my home theatre (or is it? You tell me)
I am not native english speaker so need a centre channel with the most clear sound. So that I can understand the dialogues.

Hussain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Anywone alive here
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can you supply room drawings? Need a little more than my "budget is $10K, but not really" What equipment/gear do you have now and plan to continue to use? What is your "budget" expected to cover? What do you plan to do in the dedicated room (movies, music, gaming, etc)

What are your needs?
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Hussain,

I am, by no means an expert. But since you are starting out, I can give you some advice... The Most Important aspect of a home theater is Video Picture and Audio.... Audio, i will get to later, but since you have given your budget, I will suggest to look into the Panasonic Projectors. Their PT-AE7000. it is a fairly decent projector.... it will provide you a good picture quality in a controlled environment... and it can be picked up under $2k if you look enough...

Lets come to the next point, you need a Speaker system and an AV processor... since you are a smart shopper, i would suggest pick up a denon receiver for under 2K which would give you amplification also... one nice bet would be anthem MRX AV Receivers... they could be picked under 2K again and they are relatively better performers if you are shopping on a dime...

For speakers... i would suggest to look into the Monitor series of Paradigm and also comparative Bowers and wilkins although you could purchase Polk Speakers for very less price and still get the desired sound Quality.. if you are looking for Crisp sound from your front speakers, i would suggest buy an Emotiva Amp for only the LCR Speakers as the separate amplification would reduce the burden on the Processor and drive your speakers efficiently...

For your screen, you can make DIY Screen for under 500 bucks and its fairly simple to make.. please look into the DIY Section of this Community....

Also, remember, account for cables, accessories, your sources for playback and also your furniture/treatment of the room...

Zameer...
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Movies is all I am going to do in the home theatre. Nothing else. I have no preferences.
all I have is a popcorn hour all the rest I shall buy.Room is dedicated no windows, so no ambient light.

Actually my room is currently been drawn up by erskine group pro theatre layout service however it is going to be 15.6 X 23. They wanted some additional dough for suggesting equipment so I cheaped out and came asking here.

I have an onkyo receiver which came with my s7200 htib. The receiver was rated highly so do I need a new avr. What does 2k avr do what my receiver can't do. Also for "excellent" sound do I need separate amplifier for each speaker.

How does pana receiver compare to epson 5100.

I read somewhere about surge protectors, what are these equipment?

Is 3d a gimmick or does it "induce" the wow factor.

How does klipsch rf82-II compare with aperion 4t hybrid.

What is the good value point for home theatre speaker set. Is it 2k or more?

I was in a cinema recently and in a scene when rain was falling I could swear I could hear sound coming from above. How was that done.

How much would I have to pay to get cinema like audio video in my fairly small room.

Regards

Hussain
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Where are all the experts? This forum used to be a very lively one?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
How far away from the screen will you be sitting? This will assist with determining screen size (Erskine Group may have provided this data). One option (Which I usually recommend) is having a false wall built and use an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind the screen positioned at optimal tweeter height.

As far as projectors go, you have several options here. The Epson you mentioned is a solid choice. With your budget I would stick with it and then decide how large your screen will be, but spend no more than $1K or so on the screen.

That said you need to decide if 3D is really something you want. I personally do not feel it is a "gimmick", but it is just my opinion. Have you been to the theater to watch a 3D movie? Did you enjoy it? Your existing Onkyo receiver does not support 3D. So if 3D is something you want, you will need to buy a new receiver that supports 3D. If you don't want 3D then you can keep your receiver and there would be little sense buying the Epson 5010 and you could get a cheaper projector. So you really must answer the 3D question. Personally, I enjoy it. But there is limited content in 3D currently, so most likely less than 10% of your viewing will be 3D depending on your tastes.

Yes, surge protectors are a good idea. I actually recommend installing a whole house surge protector at your breaker box/electrical panel. Talk to your electrician. You won't need to spend much here.

Here are my estimates assuming you want 3D:

For a projector I would recommend:
Epson 5010: $2699

To save some money here I would also consider the BenQ W7000: $2199.
http://www.visualapex.com/BenQ/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=W7000

For a screen, I would budget around $1K. But we need to know your screen size and whether you want acoustically transparent or not.

For a receiver I would get a Denon 1712 which supports 7.1 channels and has Audyssey MultiEQ XT ($400):
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1712-Surround-Receiver-Black/dp/B004ZP72MU

If this is for home theater, I would recommend something like Klipsch over Aperion.
Fro mains (left, right, center) I would get:
Left and Right: http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=661&crid=250&cat_name=Klipsch+Tower+Speakers $1200
Center: http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=671&crid=242&cat_name=Klipsch+Center+Speakers $1400

For surrounds (4 of these) http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=337&crid=248&cat_name=Klipsch+Surround+Speakers (4 of these at $249 each = $996)

For subwoofer: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html (Around $1100 shipped)

The total so far would be around $8800 for all the above including the Epson 5010 and a $1K screen. Depending on your screen, you could easily save some money there and also getting the BenQ would save you $500 (or around $8K total).

You also need to consider things like a projector mount, cables, and a universal remote. Budget another $500 or so for all those items.

This will still keep you below your $10K budget.

If you wanted to save some money on speakers but still have a very nice sounding home theater consider this deal:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15pkg.html The hybrid 7.1 system would be around $2100 shipped for 7.0 speakers and the VTF-15H sub. With the Epson projector, screen, receiver, etc this speaker package would put you around $6200 shipped and would sound quite good.
hussain likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thankyou very much great reply. A few more questions:

1. I have heard that brightness is an issue with home theatre 3d projectors. In a dedicated room with no windows. Would i face the same issue or not. how does epson 5010 compare with ae-7000.

2. What is difference between 2000$ Receiver and a 400$ one.

3. Do i need an amplifier for LCR speakers.

4. What is recommended surge protector.

Regards
Hussain
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post

Thankyou very much great reply. A few more questions:
1. I have heard that brightness is an issue with home theatre 3d projectors. In a dedicated room with no windows. Would i face the same issue or not. how does epson 5010 compare with ae-7000.
Having a dedicated room with no windows and control of ambient lighting is huge. You are 100% correct though, brightness is critical with 3D projectors as the glasses block about 75-80% of the light. I think the most noticeable difference in the Epson and Panasonic would be with black levels. I have nothing against the Panasonic, but if it was my money I would get the Epson. One of the recommendations is to paint your walls and ceiling a dark color as well to help with black levels.
Quote:
2. What is difference between 2000$ Receiver and a 400$ one

Usually it comes down to features that most people don't use and more power. Honestly, if you buy a sensitive speaker like those Klipsch speakers, they need very little power to drive since they are so efficient. If you look at the sensitivity rating on a speakers, it will give you an idea as to how efficient your speakers are. The Denon I linked to is a great value. Should be plenty of power, it has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, supports 3D, etc. I would not recommend spending $2K on a receiver unless there was some uber feature that you really want/need. If you have the extra money, I would bump up to this model. It has some extra features such as pre-outs that allow you to integrate another amplifier down the road. It also supports 2 subwoofers out of the box and has some additional networking and GUI feautures along with more power. Price is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312CI-Integrated-Surround-Receiver/dp/B004Z50L6E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340112016&sr=1-2&keywords=denon+receiver
Quote:
3. Do i need an amplifier for LCR speakers.

If you were buying 4ohm rated speakers, or speakers that were not sensitive and needed lots of power to drive, I would say yes. In the case of the speakers I linked to, I would say no.
Quote:
4. What is recommended surge protector.
Regards
Hussain

Something like this should work fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TLP810SAT-8-Outlet-Protector/dp/B000065CEV/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1340111651&sr=8-8&keywords=surge+protector+home+theater

For your projector (ceiling) I would also get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SPIKECUBE-Outlet-Protector/dp/B00006B81E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1340111882&sr=8-13&keywords=surge+protector+mini
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah. You will need a 3D Blu-Ray player as well, unless you already have one. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT220-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4PK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page