Mounting Plasma- Unsure of Stud-Spacing, Strange In-Wall Setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure where to ask this question. I'm planning to mount my plasma in the bedroom in the same location that the previous home owners mounted theirs. Before the painters patched the holes in the wall, it looked like their old mount fixed into something in the wall that wasn't a stud. The painter said it was some common thing used if there isn't a stud to use or the spacing is off, but I'm not sure what it was. What is this likely to be? What can I do? If it is still in the wall, what do I do to work around it if I need to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Was it wood? If so, it must have been a piece of "blocking". It's cut to fit between 2 studs, when you need to mount something between 2 studs. Usually it's a piece of 2X4 or 2X6 on edge.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

It looked like two large metal screw holes at each of the 4 corners.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Probably a big piece of wood screwed to studs, for blocking.

If it was my house, I'd probably cut into the drywall above or below it, to figure out exactly what it is. Or, pull out the adjacent outlet or low-voltage plate to try and figure it out.

If the room was just painted, it will be super easy to repair the drywall and match the paint exactly. I would call the painter back, after cutting drywall (if needed).

Many 'pro' Installers would probably just hang the mount on it without checking to make sure it's well-constructed.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 18 Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I kinda don't want to tear up the wall. Shouldn't there be at least 2-3 studs within a certain area? Can I not just find them and bolt it to them regardless of whether it's centered or not with the way the mounts are designed?
post #6 of 18 Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yes, use an electronic stud locator. Maybe you can determine why the probable 'blocking' was used.

My main concern with cutting drywall is matching paint. If matching paint is not a concern, then cutting drywall is easy, with cheap repair and painting, less than $50 with my drywall/paint guy.

How much of that area will be covered by the TV? Can you cut a single gang hole for exploration, install a low voltage ring, cover it with a blank plate, and have it hidden by the TV?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 18 Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Yes, use an electronic stud locator. Maybe you can determine why the probable 'blocking' was used.
My main concern with cutting drywall is matching paint. If matching paint is not a concern, then cutting drywall is easy, with cheap repair and painting, less than $50 with my drywall/paint guy.
How much of that area will be covered by the TV? Can you cut a single gang hole for exploration, install a low voltage ring, cover it with a blank plate, and have it hidden by the TV?

Yeah, it's a 50 inch plasma so it will cover a decent amount. I just didn't want to open too much.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

It looked like two large metal screw holes at each of the 4 corners.

Your description reminded me of these drywall anchors I've used:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100234590/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=screw+drywall+anchor&storeId=10051

They can only hold 50 lbs and that's the weigh going straight down, if you pull the TV out the force is different and they'll carry even less weight.

Regardless, I agree with Neurorad. Get a stud finder and screw right into your studs.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
For the plasma in my bedroom, the studs weren't where I needed them to be too - so I mounted a 1/2" rectangle of plywood to the studs, painted it black, and then mounted the TV mount to the plywood.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Yah you need to find where the studs are. In my living room, above the fireplace, the studs were at a weird spacing. So my mount couldn't get across two studs without being way off center. So I lagged it into the center stud and did two drywall anchors on each end of the mount. They weren't the anchors that frizb linked, but the normal ones. The lags in the center were more than enough weigh-wise, and the anchors kept her from rotating. smile.gif
post #11 of 18 Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
I have these on 2 32" 1 40" an 1 55" tv's in my house. I am 207 lbs and have hung on the installed mount using only 4 of them and the mount didn't even budge and no cracking drywall. They sell them at lowes and home depot here is a link to the companies website. You will have to buy separate washers to accommodate. I have studs that would have also made my tv off center and these fixed the whole problem.
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

post #12 of 18 Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 PM

And studs generally are 16" apart unless tied to an adjoining wall or near a bathroom.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnmike View Post

I have these on 2 32" 1 40" an 1 55" tv's in my house. I am 207 lbs and have hung on the installed mount using only 4 of them and the mount didn't even budge and no cracking drywall. They sell them at lowes and home depot here is a link to the companies website. You will have to buy separate washers to accommodate. I have studs that would have also made my tv off center and these fixed the whole problem.

Those look cool. Where do you buy them?
post #14 of 18 Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Quote:

Those look cool. Where do you buy them?
I got them at lowes. Easy quick install.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I love those. I've gotten them at Home Depot. They're more expensive than a regular toggle bolt, but much easier to use and stronger too.
Quote:

And studs generally are 16" apart unless tied to an adjoining wall or near a bathroom.
Or near any other feature -- a doorway, a chimney, a window, etc. Of course, that only applies if the wall was built by someone who knew what they were doing. smile.gif

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
post #16 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post

Quote:

I love those. I've gotten them at Home Depot. They're more expensive than a regular toggle bolt, but much easier to use and stronger too.
Quote:

Or near any other feature -- a doorway, a chimney, a window, etc. Of course, that only applies if the wall was built by someone who knew what they were doing. smile.gif

True story!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

It ended up working fine. He was able to find two studs, they just weren't centered but it didn't matter since the tv could slide on the mount. He did mention those same wall anchors.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM

I used them for everything now. Towel rack bars etc. it all started with off centered studs and an LCD. Lol.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page