Mounting 65" HX929 to Metal Studs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well here we go again, another mounting to metal studs question. I've tried to do my due diligence and read up as much on this issue as I could across the internet, even had a local home theater installer come in and quote me for the job, but I want a little more reassurance/past experience/fresh ideas if they're available. I'm trying to mount a Sony 65hx929 above a fireplace (won't ever be used) in a new condo I just bought. The previous owners had a smaller tv mounted in the same spot but it must have been close to 32" max as the mount is small, and they didn't hit the studs from what I can discern. My tv weighs 95lbs, mount is a Sanus VLT15-B1. Mount is flush with a 10 degree tilt that I will be utilizing all 10 degrees of. (If this has any effect on shear weight I don't know) Looking into the existing hole which is placed directly in the center of the bump out for the fireplace I can see that its pretty much hollow inside but can locate one metal stud a few inches right of center. The Drywall is 5/8ths and I haven't had time to unpack my stud finder yet, but I'm afraid I may be working with 2 foot centers here as the building was built in 1970. So thats the situation, here are my questions: What would be the best way to mount this TV. I've read to demo the wall and add my own wood framing to mount to. I've also read that I should take a piece of plywood and paint it to the color of the wall and mount that to the studs, mounting the bracket to the plywood after. OR, would I be okay just getting some heavy-duty toggle bolts into the metal studs/drywall alone. After TV, Mount, and Mantle we'll be looking at approximately 200lbs on the wall. I'm open to any and all ideas, and I appreciate anyone's feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
You already know the best way. Metal studs, at least the kind typically used for residential construction, aren't designed for what you want to do. And using toggles with them requires putting a fairly large hole right through the part of the stud that is most critical, the flange.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So the plywood idea isn't viable at all?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley8403 View Post

So the plywood idea isn't viable at all?
Some folks get away with it. It is more of a fix for not having studs where you need them than having steel studs. Just be aware that you are playing engineer at this point. Are you willing to bet your TV on your engineering skills?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page